Golfing Bucket List

billsfanmiami(oh)

Random, bored offseason topic. Scratching one off the bucket list in two weeks, heading to Pinehurst. Playing The Cradle and #8 on Saturday, then the big one #2 on Sunday. Haven’t swung a club since August & subsequent elbow surgery in September so I’m sure I’ll really rip it up. Anyone played there? How was it? 

Haven’t played too many top courses but have played Seven Canyons in Arizona and have played the Ocean course at Kiawah, both of which were awesome. Actually had some good moments at both. What’s a couple on your golf bucket list? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Friends went and played the Ocean course at Kiawah, but I had something else and passed. Regret that error. Shot an 87 at Harbour Town years ago where I used to live on the 10th green. Lucky day for me. VERY lucky. 

Not a huge golfer, but walking Augusta National on a Thursday and having a beer on the Veranda at Pebble Beach were extremely memorable experiences. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

Friends went and played the Ocean course at Kiawah, but I had something else and passed. Regret that error. Shot an 82 at Harbour Town years ago where I used to live on the 10th green. Lucky day for me. VERY lucky. 

Not a huge golfer, but walking Augusta National on a Thursday and having a beer on the Veranda at Pebble Beach were extremely memorable experiences. 

Been trying to get tickets in the lottery for Augusta for years. No luck yet...

3 minutes ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

Been trying to get tickets in the lottery for Augusta for years. No luck yet...

My late MIL had friends in Columbia, SC with passes. My BIL had to drive them back after he left Thursday before heading home to Spartanburg, SC. The lanyard is good for each day and you pass them around. You don’t DARE take a cell phone in. Security will catch it and they take the pass away for the rest of the week. That would make for some VERY unhappy benefactors! 

The thing you don’t get about Augusta is the topography. I remember a par 4 where the approach shot was to a green 90’ above the ball. Like hitting to a green on top of a 9 story building. TV doesn’t fully convey that. 

The thing you don’t get about Pebble Beach is...........how beautiful God could make this planet. The bar is open to the public, and my wife had to drag me away from the veranda.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

Random, bored offseason topic. Scratching one off the bucket list in two weeks, heading to Pinehurst. Playing The Cradle and #8 on Saturday, then the big one #2 on Sunday. Haven’t swung a club since August & subsequent elbow surgery in September so I’m sure I’ll really rip it up. Anyone played there? How was it? 

Haven’t played too many top courses but have played Seven Canyons in Arizona and have played the Ocean course at Kiawah, both of which were awesome. Actually had some good moments at both. What’s a couple on your golf bucket list? 

I’ve twice played Pinehurst #7. That’s when I knew the difference between country club golf and championship golf. The rough was like hitting out of a briarbatch, the greens were so fast it would be easier to putt on a warped ice rink and the tee boxes may as well have been in the next county.  The first round was frustrating but then I just enjoyed myself the second time around. 

Edited by Max Fischer

A few years ago my wife and I saw the British Open at St Andrews. Challenging course to see the action but I didn’t mind since it’s so much fun to walk around and take it all in. It’s like a party, with food and beer everywhere, but everyone well-behaved and friendly. The weather is no joke. Walking a single hole could mean three drastic weather changes. Wife is not a golf fan but would like to go to another tournament. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

The thing you don’t get about Augusta is the topography. I remember a par 4 where the approach shot was to a green 90’ above the ball. Like hitting to a green on top of a 9 story building. TV doesn’t fully convey that.

#4 at that Seven Canyons was like that. Par 3 with a tee box that sits like 70 ft above the green. Had no clue what to hit, so hard to gauge the distance. Hit a 50 deg and went over. Up and down for par though! 

4CAA0D5A-50EA-4C7D-801A-4C0106E16C76.jpeg

• Awesome! (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

#4 at that Seven Canyons was like that. Par 3 with a tee box that sits like 70 ft above the green. Had no clue what to hit, so hard to gauge the distance. Hit a 50 deg and went over. Up and down for par though! 

4CAA0D5A-50EA-4C7D-801A-4C0106E16C76.jpeg

About 95% of my limited golfing happened in Hilton Head, SC or Florida. Flat as a table. Give me elevations like that and I’m completely lost! 

My BIL’s best friend had a dad who was the golf pro at the course they lived on (Rock Hill, SC). He taught them both to golf, with my BIL the “inferior” golfer who “only” got down to a 2 handicap. The golf pro dad went to Augusta every year and sat in the same spot (I think on #5?). He went blind many years ago but still attends. Jack Nicklaus would stop to say hello and talk with him every year for decades, even after his playing days. I saw a picture from just a few years ago and it was VERY cool.  Not sure how it got started, but awesome stuff.  

The BIL’s buddy has a son who is now I think a sophomore in HS playing all over the country and getting recruited by everybody! Passing the torch! 

Funny story about the buddy, Randy. After college my BIL George was going to Europe to hop around. Randy’s family didn’t have money for that kind of thing, so he sold his car for the trip. George asked “what are you going to do when you get back?” He was told “I’ll figure it out.”  Upon return from Europe George learns he’s been accepted to medical school, where he goes and meets his wife. 

Fast forward, Randy got some old car and went to work a steel salvage business. He eventually bought the owner out and splits his time between his beach house and his other residences. He treats George to golf trips all over the country, many to exclusive places where Randy is a member. I think they even went to Ireland. How did this kid get to where he was financially head and shoulders above the two doctor family? AMAZING personality, and he does most of his business on a golf course somewhere. 

Sorry that was long, but it’s a super cool relationship. Everyone should have friendships like those guys. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Make a birdie. Anywhere

If the hole is fairly straight, and you can time the windmill just right.....you can do it!  But if it’s on #18 the ball goes right to the pro shop, so you can’t keep it as a souvenir. Sad, I know.  

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Augie said:

If the hole is fairly straight, and you can time the windmill just right.....you can do it!  But if it’s on #18 the ball goes right to the pro shop, so you can’t keep it as a souvenir. Sad, I know.  

Thnk you for the sound advice

You certainly are filled with lots of wisdom and I will call upon you again one day ?

6 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

I played #2 at Pinehurst about 10 years ago. Hire a caddy.

I’ve been fortunate enough to play #2 four times and this advice is dead on. The greens are unreal and local advice is key. 

• Like (+1) 1