Who is the biggest Fool’s Gold FA this year?

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Marcel Dareus

My pick as well. He sure fooled me when Bills drafted him : (

Thought he was perfect for Bills at the time

2 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Yannick Ngakoe

he just crushed last season and then some. You think he is a Marcell Dareus ?

As for Phillips nothing wrong with a transitional tag on a DT that played in 16 games, starter in 9 (per NFL.com), had 9.5 sacks and will get paid by someone. It's a 50-50 gamble that he would be top 10 money after FA, but bluff a bit Buffalo. When you transition tag a DT with 9.5 sacks, ears perk up a bit. Boost the value of a guy about to walk away for nothing.

Should add to a comp pick at worst if it's played right. J Phillips is the model Transition tag player IMO. Top 10 salary when flush with cash for another one year/ prove it contract (motivation if he is on the Bills), and will get compensation if another team outbids the Bills. Buffalo is woeful in managing this aspect of the cap.

From Sporting news (2019)

Non-exclusive tags are most commonly used. It means a team will pay the tagged player no less than the average of the five highest salaries at the player’s position, or 120 percent of the player’s cap number from the previous season, whichever is greater. The player is allowed to negotiate with other teams, but his current team can match any offer sheet. If a player's current team declines to match another team's offer, it will be awarded two first-round draft picks as compensation.

Transition tags pay a player the average of the 10 highest-paid players at his position. A tagged player is allowed to negotiate with other teams. The player’s current team can match any offer given to a transition-tagged player, but the team will not be given compensation if it decides not to match.

Edited by RocCityRoller

10 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Or any other NE free agent defender that chooseS to sign elsewhere. 

He’s just an average guy athletically who only performed well in NE. Unless he goes to a team that can use him the same way Belichick did, he will be disappointing. He will probably end up back in Detroit now that Matty Patty is there. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

He’s just an average guy athletically who only performed well in NE. Unless he goes to a team that can use him the same way Belichick did, he will be disappointing. He will probably end up back in Detroit now that Matty Patty is there. 

Isn’t Collins a free agent as well? We saw how lackluster he was outside of that system.

i agree on van noy. I just think the same can be said for plenty of their defenders that sign elsewhere 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Isn’t Collins a free agent as well? We saw how lackluster he was outside of that system.

i agree on van noy. I just think the same can be said for plenty of their defenders that sign elsewhere 

Hoping having a stud Defensive Coach as a HC helps with input to Beane as to who he thinks can excel in this defense.

A lot of good choices, I would say Conklin Cooper and ngakoe

Perriman would be included in my choices but I just can't imagine him getting a big enough contract where a team can't get out of it for under performance within a year or 2. But I could see someone over paying due to a few big games and his draft status

2 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

he just crushed last season and then some. You think he is a Marcell Dareus ?

Numbers declining for the 3rd straight year and not being in the top 20 for sacks doesn't scream make him the highest paid DE on a long term deal to me, but someone is going to do it and expect him to play up to that contract thus Fool's Gold.

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

What pending FA this season will command a sizable contract and predictably not live up to it? 

Hard mode: No Jordan Phillips

My guess is Perriman. Really turned it up in the second half of the season and put up some good numbers with Jameis. I could see him getting a decent deal and never come close to delivering.

What is a sizeable contract? Perriman is only 26, 6'2" 215 with 4.24 elite speed. That kind of size and speed is very rare and being 26 I think he is finally showing his talent and still has tremendous upside, if you watch his tape from this year he showed it. 

If he is paid like a slam dunk #1 wr (10 million plus) then I would agree he is a risk of not delivering. If he is paid as a yet unproven commodity with tremendous upside(5 to 8 mil)  I think he is well worth the risk.

Edited by Turk71

4 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Numbers declining for the 3rd straight year and not being in the top 20 for sacks doesn't scream make him the highest paid DE on a long term deal to me, but someone is going to do it and expect him to play up to that contract thus Fool's Gold.

Agreed. I've also read several times from different sites that he can be a liability at times against the run.