Jaguars to decline DT Marcell Dareus' option

Jaguars decline option on Marcell Dareus’ contract
Posted Feb 25, 2020

https://www.al.com/sports/2020/02/jaguars-decline-option-on-marcell-dareus-contract.html

The Jacksonville Jaguars “have interest” in defensive tackle Marcell Dareus playing for the team in 2020, general manager Dave Caldwell said, but not for $19.5 million.

Caldwell told reporters at the NFL Scouting Combine on Tuesday that the Jaguars would not pick up their team option for the second season of Dareus’ contract – and hadn’t really expected to when he signed it last year.

“To be honest with you, when we did the deal last year we knew he’d have to have a well-above – we knew it’d be a long shot,” Caldwell said. “And it was really (two years) just to prorate some of the signing bonus that we did last year for him. But he would still be a guy that we would have interest in bringing back at some point in time.”

Tuesday was the final day that Jacksonville could exercise its option on the second season of the two-year, $28.085 million contract that Dareus signed one year ago.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

It's the same for those preaching we won the Sammy Watkins trade.

Meanwhile he was just an intricate part of a a Super Bowl winning team and the Bills are still looking for his replacement...

The Bills are still looking for who they thought Sammy Watkins would be in Buffalo.  Last I heard, they are still looking.

On 2/26/2020 at 12:52 PM, jeremy2020 said:

I get what you're going for, but it's a fan forum. This is like going to a strip club and complaining about the patrons not acting like good Christians. Things are going to embellished and people are going to say things in a more extreme manner than they likely really feel. 

Also, the idea that people can't criticize someone if they don't have the equivalent of success in their field that the person they are criticizing has in theirs is sort of a strange one. 

It's really not the critique of his play or lack of motivation, etc. that strikes me as troublesome.

It's the sheer glee at what is perceived as MD's misfortune. It's just....strange. I don't use message boards to spout hyperbolic nonsense that I don't really "feel." I use them to interact as I normally would and read/learn/interact. 

But that's just me.

No interest in bringing him back and I'm sure that feeling is shared by Beane/McDermott and Dareus himself. So there's that.

25 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

It's really not the critique of his play or lack of motivation, etc. that strikes me as troublesome.

It's the sheer glee at what is perceived as MD's misfortune. It's just....strange. I don't use message boards to spout hyperbolic nonsense that I don't really "feel." I use them to interact as I normally would and read/learn/interact. 

But that's just me.

No interest in bringing him back and I'm sure that feeling is shared by Beane/McDermott and Dareus himself. So there's that.

"sheer glee", at his...what?

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

"sheer glee", at his...what?

Did you miss the post where someone predicted Dareus would be living under a bridge with his "homies?"

It would make A LOT more sense if Dareus demanded a trade, left via FA'cy or had some kind of anti-Bills vendetta. None of that occurred.

I'm old enough to remember the defense getting absolutely gashed 3 games in a row after his departure, so maybe the whole effort thing was overblown, eh? He was overpaid and there is a 0.0 percent chance he'll return to the Bills, so I don't quite get the fascination.

I find it strange. You find it normal. Whatever floats one's boat.

Edited by LSHMEAB

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Did you miss the post where someone predicted Dareus would be living under a bridge with his "homies?"

It would make A LOT more sense if Dareus demanded a trade, left via FA'cy or had some kind of anti-Bills vendetta. None of that occurred.

I'm old enough to remember the defense getting absolutely gashed 3 games in a row after his departure, so maybe the whole effort thing was overblown, eh? He was overpaid and there is a 0.0 percent chance he'll return to the Bills, so I don't quite get the fascination.

I find it strange. You find it normal. Whatever floats one's boat.

I truly have no idea what you are talking about.  What misfortune did Dareus just suffer that anyone here is "gleeful" about?

Did he misplace the 87 million career earnings thus far??

What are you talking about with this "misfortune"?

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

I truly have no idea what you are talking about.  What misfortune did Dareus just suffer that anyone here is "gleeful" about?

Did he misplace the 87 million career earnings thus far??

What are you talking about with this "misfortune"?

You missed the word that proceeded misfortune. It was "perceived." 

We all make mistakes.

I expected him to play lights out after he got traded to Jacksonville.  If you can't play lights out angry, you just don't have the passion.  

He's a case study in guys getting soft after getting the big contract.  Yes, Rex Ryan played a big part in damaging his (and Mario's) career but he could have turned things around in Jacksonville and he didn't.  

I will always be disappointed in Marcel's career.  Such a talented football player.  Hall of Fame talent really. Just didn't have the desire and the guidance to show the world that talent.  

• 4 months later...

There is a lot of lumping boards users into one category in a hyperbolic sort of way going on in this thread. What imo some seem to miss is that the team like it or not was shall we say, in a real bad place by the time the wrecks brothers were shown the door, keeping MD or SW wasn’t going to fix what was ailing the team at that time.

The team needed an actual rebuild from the top down, and yes some talent was dumped doing so, and we all understand that. Our new owners came to understand the reality of how you cure the losing cancer that McDermott and Beane showed them. 

That is the nature of fixing a pretty Fd up organization that had grown to  accept nearly two  continuous decades of futility. Those that want to dwell in that past are free to do so. Me, I’ve moved on, the team currently is in a better situation than it has been in a long time, and I for one am enjoying that. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/28/2020 at 11:05 AM, dpberr said:

I expected him to play lights out after he got traded to Jacksonville.  If you can't play lights out angry, you just don't have the passion.  

He's a case study in guys getting soft after getting the big contract.  Yes, Rex Ryan played a big part in damaging his (and Mario's) career but he could have turned things around in Jacksonville and he didn't.  

I will always be disappointed in Marcel's career.  Such a talented football player.  Hall of Fame talent really. Just didn't have the desire and the guidance to show the world that talent.  

In a way the blame should go to Whaley and Rex for drafting him.  You need a front office who looks more for the players with passion and character  and drafts them over ones with the most talent.  In the long run, those usually end up having a better career than the most talented ones do. (other than at contract time)

On 2/27/2020 at 7:09 PM, tcampbell104 said:

if we could get him on a cheap incentive laden contract it might be good.

He’ll never come back and even if he wanted to, I highly doubt either Sean or Brandon would bring him back. 

35 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

In a way the blame should go to Whaley and Rex for drafting him.  You need a front office who looks more for the players with passion and character  and drafts them over ones with the most talent.  In the long run, those usually end up having a better career than the most talented ones do. (other than at contract time)

Neither Rex or Whaley drafted  Marcell. He was drafted around the Chan Gailey and Buddy Nix era.

44 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Dareus was drafted like 4 years before Rex was on the Bills mate.

Dareus was a physical beast and a top 3 talent.  He was a star at Alabama and ran a 4.93 at 319 lbs!

He lived up to his draft status his first four years in the league, culminating in 2014, with his second Pro Bowl and first All-Pro appearance.

He got paid and became unmotivated. Impossible to predict, and impossible to pass on a guy like that. I hate Whaley and even I won't bash him for drafting Dareus.

• Like (+1) 4

34 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Dareus was a physical beast and a top 3 talent.  He was a star at Alabama and ran a 4.93 at 319 lbs!

He lived up to his draft status his first four years in the league, culminating in 2014, with his second Pro Bowl and first All-Pro appearance.

He got paid and became unmotivated. Impossible to predict, and impossible to pass on a guy like that. I hate Whaley and even I won't bash him for drafting Dareus.

I definitely do not bash drafting him but wish contract had a lot more escalators in it. I though will admit I was shocked how lazy he got so quickly 

The second he signed that contract, he knew he wouldn’t have to work (especially work hard) another day in his life.  Some athletes continue to work hard after getting paid.  Some don’t.  Marcel certainly didn’t.  Thanks for the good year Marcel. Hopefully you can live a happy life after growing up with a lot of pain.  Not a bad guy.  Just seems unmotivated at this point

• Like (+1) 1

That fat slob who never came to camp in shape was a hot mess here.  He had promise, but was a lazy ars.  To think we could’ve had Aldon Smith, JJ Watt, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Patrick Peterson, and so on.  His first two years were fine and made back to back pro bowls, but was a mess afterwards.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

He was not a Whaley gem. Buddy Nix drafted him, great pick who unfortunately went to the wrong team at the wrong time.

• Like (+1) 2