Jaguars to decline DT Marcell Dareus' option

HOUSE

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’d take him cheap to replace Phillips. He can be a rotational 3 technique and be effective. 

It’s all about risk/reward. Anyone talking about his contract or off the field issues is missing the point. He’s not coming here as a high-priced star. He’d be a “buy-low” high upside piece. He’d rotate in on the DL.

Exactly

He would be a rotational 3tech and low dollar signing

Just now, BuffaloBills1998 said:

But he’s not gonna take low dollar, unless he really desperately wants to come back to Buffalo and doesn’t want to play for anyone else. But that’s not gonna happen

I think he is 1 suspension away from a year ban.. I like marcell but think he is gonna have to wait a bit

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

I think he is 1 suspension away from a year ban.. I like marcell but think he is gonna have to wait a bit

Also his play has regressed the last two years in Jacksonville, he’s not playing at a high level anymore. That defense had a shot to go to the super bowl in 17 and they got killed by bad QB play from Bortles 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I misjudged the contract he got vs the one Hughes got- I predicted Hughes would be lazy and Dareus would be special- I was slightly off

It's not comparable really

They gave Dareus 100 million to be a force them Rex came and had him play 0tech plug eating up 2 gaps

The least stat stuffing position in football

Albert Haynesworth had the same thing... Ferocious 3 tech who Washington turned into a 2 gap space eater,, Haynesworth was specifically told not to get sacks and they paid him 100 mill

Nice kid with all the talent in the world, but once he got paid he lost any fire he had in his belly to work and just wanted to chillax and smoke pot.

It happens. Some young athletes are driven to compete, some have a switch that coaches can easily flip to get them to compete, and some don't have enough of either and are a distraction you have to move on from.

Hate to see the wasted pick, but glad the regime bit the bullet and pulled the plug.

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It's not comparable really

They gave Dareus 100 million to be a force them Rex came and had him play 0tech plug eating up 2 gaps

The least stat stuffing position in football

Albert Haynesworth had the same thing... Ferocious 3 tech who Washington turned into a 2 gap space eater,, Haynesworth was specifically told not to get sacks and they paid him 100 mill

Interesting comparison when you consider Haynesworth’s letter to his younger self. The mention of losing all desire to play once landing in Washington, plus the mention of how playing under Schwartz was perfect for him. 

• Like (+1) 1

Really the blame should be on Jim Overdorf - he was the one who did the contract for the player having issues with no clauses to take back bonuses, etc. for violations.

Marcell Dareus is not a bad guy, just someone who needs a firm hand on him.  If he went the Bills, said he realized he made mistakes, realized the Coach McD was trying to get him to be his best and was willing to sign an incentive based contract including penalty clauses for any transgressions then yes I'd sign him.   But I do not think he has learned lesson yet.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Interesting comparison when you consider Haynesworth’s letter to his younger self. The mention of losing all desire to play once landing in Washington, plus the mention of how playing under Schwartz was perfect for him. 

Bada boom! Scheme fit IS EVERYTHING in the NFL

They all have talent

• Like (+1) 1

Wow....just like that?

Don't they know he lost 6 grandmothers and his brother fell off a bike....all in the same year??

58 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I wish it could work out that Marcel could come back, though don't see it happening.  He won't want to come back on a small, 'prove it' contract and I don't think McDermott would want him back.

"Prove" what?  That his career his over?  He just did that in Jax..

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I would totally do it for league minimum.

Rex took a generational 3 tech and made him a plug and that was stupid

He could replace Phillips easily and at the 3 tech would probably be juiced up to play again

Dream on.  The league minimum will truly inspire him.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Eh, I'd welcome him back on an incentive contract if his head is in the right place.  If we got production out of a castoff from Miami, I'm sure we could make him work.

He was not good the last 2 years. So if McDermott can do it with a castoff from Miami...what does Dareus bring that another castoff won't? Attitude? Effort? Hunger (not the kind to be filled with cheeseburgers)?

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I don’t think he ever wants to come back to Buffalo. I remember he didn’t have nice things to say about us and the coaching staff after he got traded, I think he said he felt betrayed or something to that degree

I don't know what he said privately, but publicly he was classy when leaving...

https://buffalonews.com/2017/11/01/marcell-dareus-letter-to-buffalo-i-want-to-thank-the-amazing-buffalo-fans/