Go after Amari Cooper?

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the Bills will attack receiver in FA, but their acquisition will be a couple of WR and maybe a TE who are middle-of-the-pack and not on anyone's radar.

There may not even be one big-ticket FA signee - that's one straightforward interpretation of the "won't be players at the deep end of the pool" comment Beane made in his post-season presser and radio appearances.  I personally would like us to make a hard play for Hooper if he reaches FA, which he may because of the Falcon's cap.  But if we do go deep in the pool, I think it's far more likely to be for pass rusher than for WR.

I don't think so.  I think we have not yet given up on Duke Williams taking a step and possibly not on McKensie (we'll see if we tender him or not).  I think the Bills saw real progress from both of them during the season and feel as though they could see more.  Foster, I think, is quite likely gone but ST is his card as it may be for McCloud.

I also think as part of casting the Buffalo Bills as a "good place to go", Beane wants to cultivate the perception that if the Bills draft you or sign you as a UDFA, you have a real chance to make the team or the practice squad.  Given that we have Beasley, Brown, and Andre Roberts, that's not a lot of room for 3 drafted WR to have a real chance to compete, especially if we do want to see what Williams and McKensie do this off-season.

If I'm wrong about how they see Williams and McKensie, then there's more chance for your scenario.

I understand your viewpoint, but Truth, the FA market at WR is thin this year and I think there's a good chance franchise tags make it thinner.  That's why I'd like to see the Bills make a full court press for Hooper or Henry.  The FA market at TE is better, and 3 quality TE are not too many.

Aren't teams allowed to both franchise and transition tag a guy this year?

Indeed...but $50M is an awful lot to commit to 2 players that can hold out with zero repercussions.

6 minutes ago, Billl said:

If a 27 year old with 12 career catches is factoring into the draft strategy, this franchise has serious issues.

He has 12 career catches because the coaching staff inexplicably had him inactive for the majority of the season, then even more inexplicably activated for the playoff game, then even more inexplicably made him a significant piece of the offensive (double entendre, there) game plan.

Just now, Billl said:

If a 27 year old with 12 career catches is factoring into the draft strategy, this franchise has serious issues.

Well, opinions can vary, but context, please: I was talking to a gent who suggested the Bills would use 3 of their 9 picks on WR this year.

Considering the Bills do have other needs, one would think at least 1 or 2 of those 3 WR picks would involve the Bills 5 (five) 6th and 5th round picks.

A player like Williams who has actually shown the ability to see the field on the active roster and make some plays absolutely should factor into the draft strategy vs. 5th and 6th round picks.  If you think otherwise, I respectfully suggest you may have an unrealistic impression of the chance a 5th or 6th round pick actually has to contribute meaningfully to an NFL roster.  For every Milano or Kittle, there are 7 who wash out and 2 who have a short term as an ST player and reserve.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, opinions can vary, but context, please: I was talking to a gent who suggested the Bills would use 3 of their 9 picks on WR this year.

Considering the Bills do have other needs, one would think at least 1 or 2 of those 3 WR picks would involve the Bills 5 (five) 6th and 5th round picks.

A player like Williams who has actually shown the ability to see the field on the active roster and make some plays absolutely should factor into the draft strategy vs. 5th and 6th round picks.  If you think otherwise, I respectfully suggest you may have an unrealistic impression of the chance a 5th or 6th round pick actually has to contribute meaningfully to an NFL roster.  For every Milano or Kittle, there are 7 who wash out and 2 who have a short term as an ST player and reserve.

With such a deep WR talent pool this year, I have zero problem drafting 3 WR's.

After our top 2 WR's, all the rest are expendable IMO.

Hard No on Cooper. Wanted him awhile ago but between his drops, Buffalo attitude and high asking price we'd be much better off drafting 2 guys early. I would spend the $ to go after Hunter Henry aggressively. A young dou of Henry & Knox would be amazing toward building a dynamic offense. Not a Hooper fan. And finally, I would give Duke more opportunities to really see what you have there? If it doesn't work out then you release him.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Hard No on Cooper. Wanted him awhile ago but between his drops, Buffalo attitude and high asking price we'd be much better off drafting 2 guys early. I would spend the $ to go after Hunter Henry aggressively. A young dou of Henry & Knox would be amazing toward building a dynamic offense. Not a Hooper fan. And finally, I would give Duke more opportunities to really see what you have there? If it doesn't work out then you release him.

You don't want Cooper because of drops, but you want Knox to be part of a dynamic duo?

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

You don't want Cooper because of drops, but you want Knox to be part of a dynamic duo?

You can't compare a one year rookie who dropped balls to a veteran who's done it throughout his career. If Fort Knox drops more balls next year then cut his ass. One year is hardly a trend.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Idk about Hunter Henry, he has a problem staying healthy. 

3 minutes ago, Wsam4031 said:

wouldn't mind him but he already said he doesn't wan tto play anywhere cold. There is almost no chance we get him short of way overpaying

You don't want Amari "Most dropped passes since 2015" Cooper... Yea he would probably drop even more passes in the cold weather.

31 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

There's a bunch of reasons why I want no part of Amari Cooper in Buffalo. A number have already been said, but i would like to elaborate. 

It's not just the cold weather thing...his numbers were pretty bad away from the comforts of his home stadium which is a dome BTW. He looked like he didn't even want to be on the field in a number of those games (Philly and NE). 

I personally believe that he's soft as far as NFL wideouts are concerned, and his pricetag is gonna be that of a top guy that can be counted on week in and week out. He is not that guy in my book.

And he did have major drop issues in Oakland. Yeah...he was better in Dallas, but again...alot of that production came in good weather/dome in Dallas.

There's alot of signs that the guy would be a major disappointment if he came to Buffalo on a huge deal. Not to mention he's already pretty much said he doesn't wanna play in a colder climate.

AJ Green would be a much better guy to take a shot on if available. He's had a full season of not taking the punishment of the game, and he has been a stud playing in Buffalo type weather for years. He's bigger, faster, and has better hands. The only knock is injury, but you can't predict that stuff.

Draft a guy and get AJ Green. 

• Like (+1) 1