How would you guys have felt if we had took Rosen instead of Allen

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Real question is:  Why are we still talking about next years XFL QB in Rosen?  He was never close to being a Bill even.  Beane didn’t even have him on his board.  

Guessing here but I don’t think Baker or Rosen were on their board.

i always felt it was Josh, Darnold and then maybe Lamar or Rudolph. 

I feel bad for Rosen, who never has had a chance.  He was ruined in AZ and then didn't get a real shot in Miami, and both teams were suck-o.  With a better team around him his career could have been completely different.

However, I'm very happy we got the right guy.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Rudolph looks like crap lol

7 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I feel bad for Rosen, who never has had a chance.  He was ruined in AZ and then didn't get a real shot in Miami, and both teams were suck-o.  With a better team around him his career could have been completely different.

However, I'm very happy we got the right guy.

I think he did get a fair shot I Miami minus the whole team being crap around him. But then again Fitz was able to do more with less than Rosen did

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I mean was it really? 

The Jets, Browns and Bills all had shaky O lines, bad weapons and in the case of the browns and Jets (and ultimately AZ) had lame duck coaching staffs. In spite off all that, every other rookie QB showed some serious flashes of being keepers....except Rosen.

I think Rosen is just limited physically and not daring enough to be a good QB. He doesnt elevate those around him and his play is hardly inspiring. Watching his games in AZ reminded me of Trent. Just meh

AZ absolutely made the right call to cut bait 

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I dont know...was it really different?  I mean cardinals went and invested a lot in getting Rosen, its not like they didnt go all in on him that first year.  Their roster wasn't much different than our roster that year offensively.  OL issues were similar, and Rosen had a better cast of weapons to use...wasnt great, but it was better than Bills offensive weapons that year.  

Cardinals didn't see enough in Rosen to stay the course.  Then in Miami, they quickly dismissed him too.  Something isnt right here...two teams with significant draft capital investments into him quickly gave up on him.  

Time to face the truth, he just isn't the guy some thought he would be.  Personally, I think it mostly stems from his lack of ability to be a leader, to command the team.  

It seemed like Buffalo has a solid 3 year plan for Allen.  They were strategic with what he was asked to do developmentally each season. Peterman being a joke made them escalate the plan a little, but still.  

In Arizona, Bradford was meant to be the starter while Rosen sat and learned.  When he was thrown in there, from my understanding, they kinda just threw him out there.   Then, he was jettisoned.  He hasn’t had an offseason as a starter.  

I’m not saying this is the reason Rosen is bad right now, I’m saying Allen was given a better plan for development, regardless of skill positions around him 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Didn’t Tomlin take a shot at him during a press conference when they benched him in favor of their third stringer lol

Tomlin has come out strong and been very supportive of Rudolph over the Garrett stuff. 

He did take a shot after he benched him in the Cincinnati game when he threw a pick - said of Duck Hodges "I expect him not to kill us"

'Course, 3 games later Hodges did just that....

13 minutes ago, Virgil said:

It seemed like Buffalo has a solid 3 year plan for Allen.  They were strategic with what he was asked to do developmentally each season. Peterman being a joke made them escalate the plan a little, but still.  

In Arizona, Bradford was meant to be the starter while Rosen sat and learned.  When he was thrown in there, from my understanding, they kinda just threw him out there.   Then, he was jettisoned.  He hasn’t had an offseason as a starter.  

I’m not saying this is the reason Rosen is bad right now, I’m saying Allen was given a better plan for development, regardless of skill positions around him 

Virgil, not seeing how we can give Beane and McDermott credit for a "solid 3 year plan" for Allen or for being "strategic".

In Buffalo, McCarron was meant to be the starter and Allen was the 3rd string behind Peterman.  It became clear McCarron simply couldn't execute Daboll's offense and Allen wasn't ready, so they had to go with Peterman...but they don't get credit for strategy there.  It resulted in throwing Allen to the wolves without an off-season as a starter. 

How is that a better development plan, by any stretch of the imagination?

Then there was McDermott's plaintive and stiff-jawed quip after the loss to GB (Allen's 2nd start): "I expected we'd be able to run the ball".  Our OL was getting butt-whipped.  Beane has now admitted on more than one occasion "I didn't do enough...we had limitations with the cap, but I could have done more".

Then we have Allen who discussed positively this year what Dorsey has brought as a QB coach by saying Daboll doesn't have to be in the QB room every meeting this year.  When your OC is in the QB room every meeting because he doesn't feel he can rely on the rookie QB's 1st year QB coach

When the coach admits they can't run and the GM admits "I didn't do enough" on the OL, the Bills don't get credit for a strategic or solid 3 yr QB development plan.  And that's not even going into the WR and TE rooms.

What bailed the Bills out a bit is that Allen is a "sport" in the genetic and football evaluation sense: a kid who showed some athleticism at a lower level of college competition but turned out to be an elite athlete at the NFL level in a way that none of the draft pundits foretold., and a "never give up!" gamer.  The stuff one saw about Allen pre-draft was "Turns into competent traffic director when scrambling" and "Willing to pull it and move the chains with his legs".  Nobody was talking about "legitimate dual-threat QB who can stiff arm LB or outrun DBs"

• Like (+1) 1

At the time I would have been optimistic about drafting Rosen.  Fast forward to today and I'd be wondering who we should draft with the first overall pick of the 2020 draft.  Rosen would have put  Beane & McDermott on pretty thin ice with a shot at a 2nd QB to either make or break them.  The talk would be do we draft a QB or sign a veteran FA. The Bills would be on the verge of cutting Rosen if we had drafted him.

Edited by Albany,n.y.

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Yeah Baker if my memory serves me correctly was not on their board either.  

42 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Rudolph looks like crap lol

I think he did get a fair shot I Miami minus the whole team being crap around him. But then again Fitz was able to do more with less than Rosen did

Rudolph had not stepped on an NFL field on draft night.  He is talking about who was higher on Bills draft board that night, not the merits of how they have fared in the NFL so far.

10 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

He was on his board for sure.

Not to draft with our first round pick

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah Baker if my memory serves me correctly was not on their board either.  

Rudolph had not stepped on an NFL field on draft night.  He is talking about who was higher on Bills draft board that night, not the merits of how they have fared in the NFL so far.

Not to draft with our first round pick

Source that Beane didn’t have a first round grade on Rosen?

Also, not having a first round grade is not the same as “not having on the board.”