How would you guys have felt if we had took Rosen instead of Allen

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Was wondering what your guys reaction would’ve been if we had taken Rosen instead of Allen. I love Allen and was very happy that we took him, never liked Rosen in college  as he reminded me too much of Cutler and Jeff George without the rocket arm. I think personally it would’ve set us back if we’d made that move. Thoughts??

well, we might have been in the running to take Burrow so it wouldn't have been all bad.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I am open that I was a “Wrong Josh”er.  

I also thought the whole starting QB/OL/WR situation was pretty badly mishandled in 2018 offseason and it’s a major reason why I still have “???” In my mind about ultimately how successful McDermott and Beane will be.  Beane seemed to be expecting Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio performance on a “Two Buck Chuck” budget.

I decided we got the “right Josh” after watching them both play in the last handful of 2018 games.  They were both playing under tough circumstances, but one was clearly a gamer and rallying the team to raise their game while improving somewhat himself, while the other appeared to inspire no one and to be regressing.

This^

Watched a bunch of Rosens games when they had the number one pick and were debating taking KM. After watching a few games it was clear to me the Bills got the right guy and Rosen was going to be a trivia question someday much like JP losman would be for the 2004 class

9 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

This^

Watched a bunch of Rosens games when they had the number one pick and were debating taking KM. After watching a few games it was clear to me the Bills got the right guy and Rosen was going to be a trivia question someday much like JP losman would be for the 2004 class

I think n Rosen is slightly better than JP,  I remember being mad as hell when we took Losman, I thought that pick would haunt us for the next decade and it did. Liked that he embraced the city of Buffalo and its fans but he didn’t have what it took to be a starting NFL QB

5 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

You just made this up, didn't you?

Um, they acquired draft assets for the 2018 QB draft class, passing on a QB in 2017.

If they wanted Mahomes (or Watson), they would have taken him at 10 in 2017.

It does not take a rocket scientist to figure this out.

Also, the Bills always had the most scouts at Wyoming games in 2017.

Again, it does not take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

Edited by njbuff
  • Haha (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, KGun12TD said:

In all fairness to Rosen, he’s been in two really poor situation. He had a lot of talent coming into the draft...I kinda feel badly for him.

True, but then again Fitzpatrick was able to win 5 games and threw for over 20 tds with the lack there of talent in Miami and Rosen didn’t even throw one TD and threw 4 picks and didn’t win one game and got benched in favor of Fitz. Like someone on this board said, I think he’s damaged goods at best at this point

I was happy that they identified the guy they wanted and moved up to get him.  In the moment, if that had been Rosen instead of Allen, I would have been equally happy.  I didn't want them to settle for whoever was left over after passing on Mahomes and Watson the previous year (Jackson was an afterthought).  I didn't wan't Mayfield and thought Darnold was the best of the bunch.

2 hours ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

At the moment? Thrilled, because that's what the media, pundits, and highlight reel told me was the correct pick 

As of today? A total 180 and am more than happy to be wrong, and I know this sentiment is shared with many others here

I'm the same. I wanted Rosen and didn't want Allen, but I got on board pretty quick. I don't watch college ball so I only have highlight videos, stats, and word of mouth to go off of.

But I will say, Rosen's career trajectory would be much different had he been chosen by the Bills. He would have been given every opportunity that Allen has, including continuity. No telling what would have been different for him.

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

I thought then and think now that Rosen will have the more fruitful professional career.

Your projection is off to a bumpy start...

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MJS said:

I'm the same. I wanted Rosen and didn't want Allen, but I got on board pretty quick. I don't watch college ball so I only have highlight videos, stats, and word of mouth to go off of.

But I will say, Rosen's career trajectory would be much different had he been chosen by the Bills. He would have been given every opportunity that Allen has, including continuity. No telling what would have been different for him.

Honestly though, due to Rosen not being mobile we probably would’ve been worse in 2018 and Arizona likely would’ve been better in 18. Allen elevated his play last year and got better as the season went on in 18 where Rosen regressed and got worse as the season went on in 18. I think Allen was more pro ready than Rosen, Rosen likely would’ve benefited by being red shirted and watched and learned from the vet QB from the sideline. Arizona ruined him by throwing him in too early

I'll fess up, I was a "wrong Josh" guy for a minute. I thought they'd take Rosen since he was seen as more pro-ready whereas Allen was deemed a project. Right after the pick, I got on the YouTube and brought up some Allen highlights and became excited at some of the throws he's able to make. And I trust McBeane and if that's their guy then that works for me. Obviously, there's still work to be done with JA, but the fact that he made legitimate improvements (not just subtle things either) from '18 to '19 gives me a lot of faith that the kid can get to the level people think he can. I think we'll probably always have to deal with a "What the fuuu..." type of play from him now and again, and the stats may not always be 25 of 30 for 370 and 4 TDs, but his playmaking ability should outweigh those things. 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Honestly though, due to Rosen not being mobile we probably would’ve been worse in 2018 and Arizona likely would’ve been better in 18. Allen elevated his play last year and got better as the season went on in 18 where Rosen regressed and got worse as the season went on in 18. I think Allen was more pro ready than Rosen, Rosen likely would’ve benefited by being red shirted and watched and learned from the vet QB from the sideline. Arizona ruined him by throwing him in too early

Allen relied on his superior athletic ability. Rosen doesn't have that to fall back on, so requires more of a traditional developmental approach. Allen is more able to learn on the job because he does have that freak athleticism and large build to fall back on when things break down on the field.

But as far as being pro ready, I don't know about that. Allen is just a gamer, but you can tell he still has so much to learn. Honestly haven't watched a ton of Rosen so I can't speak to his ability to read a defense and operate and offense and determine his pro readiness.

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

:lol:

No, really. You're not serious are you?

Given his negative comments about McDermott and Beane, I do think he's serious.

4 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I'll fess up, I was a "wrong Josh" guy for a minute. I thought they'd take Rosen since he was seen as more pro-ready whereas Allen was deemed a project. Right after the pick, I got on the YouTube and brought up some Allen highlights and became excited at some of the throws he's able to make. And I trust McBeane and if that's their guy then that works for me. Obviously, there's still work to be done with JA, but the fact that he made legitimate improvements (not just subtle things either) from '18 to '19 gives me a lot of faith that the kid can get to the level people think he can. I think we'll probably always have to deal with a "What the fuuu..." type of play from him now and again, and the stats may not always be 25 of 30 for 370 and 4 TDs, but his playmaking ability should outweigh those things. 

Hey remember Jim Kelly wasn’t always perfect either and had plenty of What the Fuuu...” type of plays almost all the time lol. I’m sure we’ll see a 300-400 yard passing game from him, he has the talent to do it. He just needs a number 1 receiver, I say we go after Cooper since Dallas is letting him go 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Allen relied on his superior athletic ability. Rosen doesn't have that to fall back on, so requires more of a traditional developmental approach. Allen is more able to learn on the job because he does have that freak athleticism and large build to fall back on when things break down on the field.

But as far as being pro ready, I don't know about that. Allen is just a gamer, but you can tell he still has so much to learn. Honestly haven't watched a ton of Rosen so I can't speak to his ability to read a defense and operate and offense and determine his pro readiness.

Given his negative comments about McDermott and Beane, I do think he's serious.

I have to disagree I feel Allen was more pro ready than Rosen was, Allen came from unknown school and didn’t have anyone to throw to while at Wyoming. Rosen had a bunch of talent as UCLA and struggled, Allen has better body language and is a far better leader than Rosen. Also the thing that’s killed Rosen is his inability to read a defense. I watched him plenty in Miami this year and he was beyond terrible. Fitz did more with less than Rosen did. Even Brian Flores Said Rosen wasn’t ready and criticized his play and body language in the pre season, For crying out loud he couldn’t even beat out Fitzpatrick in competition

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

Honestly, no idea.  I wanted Rosen but that’s why I’m not a GM.  

I wonder if Rosen’s performance would have been any better if there was an actual plan for him.   His situation has been the worst of any rookie QB’s. I wonder how Allen would have fared in the same situation.