Swedish Football QB Caleb Lewis accepts invite to Bills mini-camp

YoloinOhio

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Lakeland, FL

https://247sports.com/Player/Caleb-Lewis-43501/college-154428/
https://www.nola.com/sports/article_85485fff-3562-59b8-b26f-497ca92ec775.html

I don't understand the whole LSU/Robert Morris thing? 

It looks like he was a walk-on at LSU (what does "preferred walk on" mean?), who was offered a scholarship his Jr year in 2017.

Then Burrows transferred to LSU, so it was clear Lewis wasn't going to start. 

Lewis went to another school, Robert Morris (I had to look up it's a DI school), where he played 5 games as a Senior last fall?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3843266/caleb-lewis

Ah-HA! moment on the 3 degrees of connection:

Caleb Lewis' dad, Tommy Lewis, played college football "in the 1980s" at....William & Mary.  I don't believe he would have overlapped with McDermott, who graduated in 1998, but they both would have connected with Jimmye Laycock.  Sounds like someone picked up the phone and said "could you give this kid a look?"

Tre' White must also know him.

HS Coach's kid.  Scored an 800 on his math SAT and left HS with 26 college credit hours, earning academic financial aid. Graduated in 3 yrs.  His dad quoted as saying he wants to coach.  Might be a White Board Warrior: "  "Lewis for now will continue to put in time in the quarterback meeting room and on the field, doing what he can to help Etling prepare for the LSU opener Sept. 2 against BYU at NRG Stadium in Houston. "We study so much," Etling said. "We even lived together last year during the season. We had a whiteboard in our apartment. We would go home and we would talk about the practice and talk about the look (the defense) would give: 'This is something we think they might do.'" "

I figured there was some kind of personal connection that they invited him, especially this early. Usually they just sign a QB as a UDFA to use for rookie camp 

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In this case, I think the network is likely to be either through McDermott's W&M coach or through Tre'

He might just be a mini-camp arm, but if he shows them any physical talent, he might wind up on the practice squad.  He could be smart enough to pick up the offense and contribute in the QB room.

Practice squad eligibility rules make my head hurt.  Davis Webb spent time on the Giants 53-man in 2017 and the Jets 53-man in 2018.  100% PS for the Bills in 2019.  Anyone know if he still has PS eligibility?  Bills did sign him to a reserve/futures contract for 2020.

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Lakeland, FL

https://247sports.com/Player/Caleb-Lewis-43501/college-154428/
https://www.nola.com/sports/article_85485fff-3562-59b8-b26f-497ca92ec775.html

I don't understand the whole LSU/Robert Morris thing? 

It looks like he was a walk-on at LSU (what does "preferred walk on" mean?), who was offered a scholarship his Jr year in 2017.

Then Burrows transferred to LSU, so it was clear Lewis wasn't going to start. 

Lewis went to another school, Robert Morris (I had to look up it's a DI school), where he played 5 games as a Senior last fall?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3843266/caleb-lewis

Ah-HA! moment on the 3 degrees of connection:

Caleb Lewis' dad, Tommy Lewis, played college football "in the 1980s" at....William & Mary.  I don't believe he would have overlapped with McDermott, who graduated in 1998, but they both would have connected with Jimmye Laycock.  Sounds like someone picked up the phone and said "could you give this kid a look?"

Tre' White must also know him.

HS Coach's kid.  Scored an 800 on his math SAT and left HS with 26 college credit hours, earning academic financial aid. Graduated in 3 yrs.  His dad quoted as saying he wants to coach.  Might be a White Board Warrior: "  "Lewis for now will continue to put in time in the quarterback meeting room and on the field, doing what he can to help Etling prepare for the LSU opener Sept. 2 against BYU at NRG Stadium in Houston. "We study so much," Etling said. "We even lived together last year during the season. We had a whiteboard in our apartment. We would go home and we would talk about the practice and talk about the look (the defense) would give: 'This is something we think they might do.'" "

Walking on at a major college is tough. All 25-40 dudes were studs in HS. Big fish little pond and they make cuts

But schools only have X amount of scholarships ...

So a way to get a kid to come as a walk on ,even if he has other options, is too make him a preferred walk on. Guarentee to make the team and quicker road to scholarship

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Walking on at a major college is tough. All 25-40 dudes were studs in HS. Big fish little pond and they make cuts

So a way to get a kid to come as a walk on ,even if he has other options, is too make him a preferred walk on. Guarentee to make the team and quicker road to scholarship

OK, so "preferred walk-on" means "you have a spot on the team"?

He apparently did get offers elsewhere, including FIU, Ohio University, and Buffalo

5 hours ago, BillHeff said:

Most countries in Europe have leagues, here in the UK we have a 3 tiered league, where most teams in the top two tiers kit up 35+ players for a 10 game plus playoffs season.

It's strictly an Amateur sport in the UK, so players pay to play. Most of our best players will go out to places like Germany, Sweden, Finland, Poland, Italy, where there are professional leagues where they can be paid for playing (and often coaching.)

Are we related?

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

Perhaps he will cook up some surprise pre-season victories for us!

Image result for swedish chef gif

OHHH! I had a killer sweet and sour Swedish meatball recipe from my one and only Betty Crocker cookbook someone gave me in college! I think I wanted to cook way back then......but on my budget had to decide between beer and food. ? 

I suspect I looked a bit like that when I cooked.....

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Every major college program has "preferred walk-ons." As explained above, many will eventually earn scholarships.

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

Every major college program has "preferred walk-ons." As explained above, many will eventually earn scholarships.

I think I said exactly that. Preferred walk ons don't get cut .. regular walk ons can

And yes many get scholarships eventually by their Junior or senior seasons

I meant 25-40 per team. But closer to the 40..  Not entire walk ons in D1

Edited by Buffalo716

He's got to be the least mobile QB on earth right now.  Hardly played any college ball.  He throws the ball like it weighs 40 lb.  He's shaped like Raiders-era Jamarcus Russell.

What is it about this guy that caught the Bills attention?  Bizarre...

6 hours ago, Westside Madness said:

Indeed. My gf is Irish and left handed...not a ginger though. She has to be warmhearted to put up with my shenanigans...

On 2/25/2020 at 6:21 AM, Cripple Creek said:

I am proof of that.

@Cripple Creek meet @Westside Madness... @Westside Madness .... @Cripple Creek   You two should get along famously.