Vosean Joseph, how to use him?

Don Otreply

What does the Collective here think of his potential, what do ya’ll think SM has him working on to become a contributor to the defense?  The guy hits like a truck,  will he be primarily STs,  or a mainstay in D rotation, or both?

Go Bills!!!

Until he actually hits the field and we can see where he is physically and mentally, it's hard to project him.  If he shows up ready to go and has a good handle on the playbook, I do think he can compete for a backup role out of the gate, probably play some special teams, and then we'll see from there.  But, as of now, we have no clue what he is at the NFL level because we don't know where he is physically (or mentally).

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Until he actually hits the field and we can see where he is physically and mentally, it's hard to project him.  If he shows up ready to go and has a good handle on the playbook, I do think he can compete for a backup role out of the gate, probably play some special teams, and then we'll see from there.  But, as of now, we have no clue what he is at the NFL level because we don't know where he is physically (or mentally).

Thanks, Good points all, was looking more in the line of opinions on his potential spot on the defense I guess. 

Go Bills!!!

I think Joseph can be quality LB depth at least for us honestly. When he was at Florida he was either guessing right to make flash plays while knocking the snot out of people or he was guessing wrong and costing his defense. They said he freelanced a lot on the field @ Florida. He needs to learn to play within the system and be disciplined. If he can do that he can contribute in various ways. If he cannot I expect him to be released as early as this TC. 

• Like (+1) 1

The way Mcdermott coaches up guys on defense I actually think Joseph is going to be lights out. He has a lot of work to do but i would hope the year off gave him some time to learn the defense in and out. He has some serious potential. 
The speed between Milano, Edmunds and Joseph is unreal. Given Edmunds ability to blitz and his size/speed combo I’m hoping they have some packages with Joseph playing MLB and they can move Edmunds around to cause havoc. Should never bank on production from an unknown in Joseph but in my little warped mind I always wanted Loraxs replacement to be Edmunds and Joseph to take over when they move Edmunds around. 

• Like (+1) 2

It seems to me like Joseph's skillset would make him a good fit at WILL linebacker in McDermott's defense. 

The problem, of course, is that Milano is likely to be re-signed and be a long term fixture at that spot.

This coming season, then it seems likely that Joseph will play special teams and back up Matt Milano.

Could he play strongside linebacker? Maybe. How the team chooses to attack that position in free agency and the draft should tell us more about how they feel on the matter.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I think Joseph can be quality LB depth at least for us honestly. When he was at Florida he was either guessing right to make flash plays while knocking the snot out of people or he was guessing wrong and costing his defense. They said he freelanced a lot on the field @ Florida. He needs to learn to play within the system and be disciplined. If he can do that he can contribute in various ways. If he cannot I expect him to be released as early as this TC. 

was he supposed to freelance or was it a problem?

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

What does the Collective here think of his potential, what do ya’ll think SM has him working on to become a contributor to the defense?  The guy hits like a truck,  will he be primarily STs,  or a mainstay in D rotation, or both?

Go Bills!!!

Last year they kept him off IR for a while because they seemed to view him as the primary backup to Milano.

Good question how they see him now.

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

was he supposed to freelance or was it a problem?

I read somewhere that he was encouraged to freelance but it didn’t always work out, but he seemed to have his coaches blessing to do what he was doing. 

31 minutes ago, Nanker said:

For your viewing pleasure...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJCY5ORqdH0

Man, if he added muscle and scheme knowledge while he was red shirted for the year, (IR) we may really have a serious thumper this season. 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1