Browns likely to release DE Olivier Vernon

YoloinOhio

11 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

We should get him, good depth signing and he could be a good rotating player

Yeah he’s in the Mario Addison/Everson Griffen category. Not a long term solution but could be more productive than Murphy. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is just speculation from Mary Kay Cabot based on Vernon’s salary.  She is an awful reporter in general and her contacts with the Browns left when Hue Jackson got booted.   This is not even an article, just part of an answer to a fan question about whether she expect the Browns to go after former Vikings like Griffen. 

FWIW Vernon is only due a $250k workout bonus this off-season so I highly doubt the Browns are in a hurry to cut him.  I wouldn’t bank on them parting ways with him this off-season, but even if they do I can’t imagine it happening before they replace him.  

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

This is just speculation from Mary Kay Cabot based on Vernon’s salary.  She is an awful reporter in general and her contacts with the Browns left when Hue Jackson got booted.   This is not even an article, just part of an answer to a fan question about whether she expect the Browns to go after former Vikings like Griffen. 

FWIW Vernon is only due a $250k workout bonus this off-season so I highly doubt the Browns are in a hurry to cut him.  I wouldn’t bank on them parting ways with him this off-season, but even if they do I can’t imagine it happening before they replace him.  

Apparently he is being offered a pay cut and isn’t expected to take it. If he declines the pay cut, the Browns gain 15.5 mill in cap space and 0 dead money 

22 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Apparently he is being offered a pay cut and isn’t expected to take it. If he declines the pay cut, the Browns gain 15.5 mill in cap space and 0 dead money 

I would not be surprised if the Browns asked him to take a pay cut or did something else to reduce his cap hit this season (ie a real or voidable extension), but I’d be shocked if they cut him before replacing him and created such a huge hole.  Chad Thomas is the Browns 3rd DE right now.  That’s a huge step down.

Now if it came to light that Griffen had agreed to terms with the Browns then I could see it.  But if that’s the route they’re going to go then why even ask him to take a cut?  FWIW I have only heard that the Browns are looking at their options with Vernon.  I haven’t heard anything about them asking him to take a cut (yet).  Doesn’t mean it could not have happened though, obviously. 

The best thing about this...

The Browns traded away a valuable offensive lineman that they could have used to protect Baker better for more defense in Vernon, and now they are going to cut him a few months later.

The Browns are the joke that keeps on going!

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He's not very good anymore right?  I don't think he's done much in the last few years....

One concern is he's missed time for injuries the last 3 years.  4, 5, and 6 games, respectively.

27 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

The best thing about this...

The Browns traded away a valuable offensive lineman that they could have used to protect Baker better for more defense in Vernon, and now they are going to cut him a few months later.

The Browns are the joke that keeps on going!

To be fair to the Browns, wasn't he part of the Odell Beckham Jr trade?  so they didn't just trade Zeitler for Vernon.

Regime change will do that.

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

One concern is he's missed time for injuries the last 3 years.  4, 5, and 6 games, respectively.

To be fair to the Browns, wasn't he part of the Odell Beckham Jr trade?  so they didn't just trade Zeitler for Vernon.

It looks as if John Dorsey's mess is being cleaned up, but it is still funny... they are our competition and anything that embarrasses them I'm all for.

54 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It was Zietler and a 5th for Vernon and a 4th. It was separate from the Odell trade. But the teams combined them as one announcement once trades could be official and they swapped back the day 3 picks. If the Odell trade had not come to fruition, the report was that the 1st trade still would have and they weren’t dependent on each other. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1