Film Study article Antoine Winfield Jr.

CorkScrewHill

Talks a bit about what he got from his dad. Letting Antoine Winfield walk was one of those bad decisions that led to the drought. Would love to see him on the Bills.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2020/02/16/like-father-like-son-how-antoine-winfield-jr-echoes-the-play-style-of-his-pro-bowl-dad/2/

• Like (+1) 4

28 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Talks a bit about what he got from his dad. Letting Antoine Winfield walk was one of those bad decisions that led to the drought. Would love to see him on the Bills.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2020/02/16/like-father-like-son-how-antoine-winfield-jr-echoes-the-play-style-of-his-pro-bowl-dad/2/

Nice piece!

FWIW Buffalo Bills has this video piece by Schrager on Winfield up on their website

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/peter-schrager-reveals-the-prospect-looking-to-follow-in-his-nfl-superstar-fathe

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Good fit for this defense. He’s not thought to be athletically elite, I’ll be interested to see his combine performance. 

This is my thought as well. Don't be surprised if we take a S somewhere in the first two days of the draft come April as I expect us to be looking ahead to a Poyer FA. 

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, H2o said:

This is my thought as well. Don't be surprised if we take a S somewhere in the first two days of the draft come April as I expect us to be looking ahead to a Poyer FA. 

One question here is how much they really like Jaquan Johnson.  If 6'0" 190 lb Poyer got trucked into the endzone by 6'2" 215 lb Deshaun Watson because of what's seen as technique or strength issue that can be addressed and they like what Johnson has shown, maybe they see Johnson as the answer looking ahead and they won't be drafting a S the first 2 days.  OTOH, if what went down is that taller heavier strong guys truck smaller lighter strong guys, maybe 5'10" 190 lb Jaquan isn't where they want to go - but then maybe 5'10" Winfield Jr isn't, either.

Personally I like Poyer - a lot - and I think the team has many different places where improvement is more needed.  I hope the team and Poyer can work something out.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Good fit for this defense. He’s not thought to be athletically elite, I’ll be interested to see his combine performance. 

I think another question might be durability?  I searched, and it looked as though he missed quite a bit of time - enough that despite starting as a true freshman and being a senior, he still has 2 seasons of eligibility left.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

One question here is how much they really like Jaquan Johnson.  If 6'0" 190 lb Poyer got trucked into the endzone by 6'2" 215 lb Deshaun Watson because of what's seen as technique or strength issue that can be addressed and they like what Johnson has shown, maybe they see Johnson as the answer looking ahead and they won't be drafting a S the first 2 days.  OTOH, if what went down is that taller heavier strong guys truck smaller lighter strong guys, maybe 5'10" 190 lb Jaquan isn't where they want to go - but then maybe 5'10" Winfield Jr isn't, either.

Personally I like Poyer - a lot - and I think the team has many different places where improvement is more needed.  I hope the team and Poyer can work something out.

I think another question might be durability?  I searched, and it looked as though he missed quite a bit of time - enough that despite starting as a true freshman and being a senior, he still has 2 seasons of eligibility left.

Yes He missed almost the whole 2018 season with a foot injury. I think he only really played 2 seasons. Plus that foot thing was non contact. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

35 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I like Poyer as well. He and Hyde were two key FA signings that started the McDermott era. Poyer is set to be a FA in 2021 just before his 30th birthday. Hyde will be a FA in 2022 at 31. I don't know if we will be throwing around a contract to them that they might receive on the open market elsewhere. Beane/McDermott may see fit to extend their current deals and give them an uptick in pay, but the S market is ballooning as well. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they take a S in the first two days whom they see fit to replace Poyer if the plan is to allow him to test FA in 2021. Whether that be Antoine Winfield Jr., Kyle Dugger, Grant Delpit, Xavier McKinney, Ashtyn Davis, or Terrell Burgess idk. I don't know whom they see fitting or where. I just wouldn't be surprised if we take one the first two days somewhere. 

Edited by H2o

One of the main things I can recall about his pops was how good of an open field tackler he was. He wasn't outstanding in one or two specific skills, he was just a really well-rounded player. 

I see people mentioning Poyer and Jaquan Johnson and whatnot. Just read a mock draft on the Athletic today that had the Bills taking Kyle Dugger at 22. For those that don't know, he's a DII player (Lenoir-Rhyne) who is listed as a safety but can be moved around like a chess piece. The writer (Bruce Feldman) said the kid can play every position on defense except interior DL. McDermott has to be googily-eyes over that kind of versatility. The article also mentioned how Dugger could be similar to what Shaq Thompson does for Carolina. Also, no team has visited Lenoir-Rhyne more than Buffalo this past season. 

A few numbers on Dugger: 

6'2" 217 lbs.

4.41 40

40 inch vert

11 foot broad jump

20 reps @ 225 lbs.

6.7 3-cone

Feldman likens him more to Devin Bush than any safety right now. He really seems like a guy they could put anywhere.

Edited by blacklabel

4 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

One of the main things I can recall about his pops was how good of an open field tackler he was. He wasn't outstanding in one or two specific skills, he was just a really well-rounded player. 

I see people mentioning Poyer and Jaquan Johnson and whatnot. Just read a mock draft on the Athletic today that had the Bills taking Kyle Dugger at 22. For those that don't know, he's a DII player (Lenoir-Rhyne) who is listed as a safety but can be moved around like a chess piece. The writer (Bruce Feldman) said the kid can play every position on defense except interior DL. McDermott has to be googily-eyes over that kind of versatility. The article also mentioned how Dugger could be similar to what Shaq Thompson does for Carolina. Also, no team has visited Lenoir-Rhyne more than Buffalo this past season. 

A few numbers on Dugger: 

6'2" 217 lbs.

4.41 40

40 inch vert

11 foot broad jump

20 reps @ 225 lbs.

6.7 3-cone

Feldman likens him more to Devin Bush than any safety right now. He really seems like a guy they could put anywhere.

There was a thread created about him a couple days ago. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, H2o said:

There was a thread created about him a couple days ago. :thumbsup:

Oops! Good call, my bad. I had just seen the Athletic article this morning. Before that, last I saw on Dugger was a mock last week that had Buffalo taking him in the second. Now he's expected to be a first round guy as he's likely to blow it up at the Combine.

On 2/24/2020 at 3:26 PM, pop gun said:

Yeah, that's it, lets draft the kid of someone who played here! 

Just as dumb as wanting every former player who has left here, back!

oy vey!

You don't draft him because he is a kid of someone who played here. You draft him if you feel he has the on field talent and the off field mindset to make your team better. On field it appears based on his time in Minnesota and the combine results .. he has. Off the field field  it sounds like he is similar to his dad .. that would be a great thing. I am not meeting with him and am not qualified to judge either of these things, but if he is like his dad .. yes I would be very interested. 

Not drafting a player just because they are the son of someone who played here is just as dumb as not wanting to look at former players who did well with us because they left. oy vey!