2020 NFL Combine

YoloinOhio

39 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

He's my WR4 behind the main 3 and is probably the guy I'm realistically hoping for at #22 at the moment. He offers a blend of deep threat, YAC, and contested catch ability that you generally don't see a lot of. I wouldn't necessarily be in favor of drafting all of these guys at #22, but my list from WR4-8 is (at the moment): Reagor, Aiyuk, LSU Jefferson, Higgins. I think those 4 are worthy of consideration, though I might take a different position ahead of some of them.

I'm no draft expert, that's for sure, but I spend more time than I should watching these guys in the run up to the draft, and from what I've seen so far, I think I like Reagor more than anyone except Lamb. Right now I might take him over Jeudy and Ruggs. I love how he snatches the ball out of the air, both when he is covered and when he is not (a lot of guys get too nervous to hands catch it when they are wide open). And he's tough. And fast. What's not to like?

44 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

He's my WR4 behind the main 3 and is probably the guy I'm realistically hoping for at #22 at the moment. He offers a blend of deep threat, YAC, and contested catch ability that you generally don't see a lot of. I wouldn't necessarily be in favor of drafting all of these guys at #22, but my list from WR4-8 is (at the moment): Reagor, Aiyuk, LSU Jefferson, Higgins. I think those 4 are worthy of consideration, though I might take a different position ahead of some of them.

I think there are the clear-cut top 3 in Jeudy, Lamb, and Ruggs then the rest of it gets a bit muddied up. All of them have something to offer in various ways, if not multiple traits where they could make an immediate impact. Shenault reminds me a bit of Fitzgerald with his body type, the body control at times, the way he plucks the ball out of the air, and his after the catch ability, but he's not really a refined WR at this point. I am not saying he is Fitz, but that some of his traits and abilities remind me of him. His use as more of a gadget type of player at Colorado shows he has A LOT of versatility, but is he really what we need? Reagor does remind me a bit of Lee Evans as another poster indicated on here a while ago and he adjusts to the ball well in the air, but there are noted concerns of him letting the ball get to his body instead of using his hands consistently causing some drops and he doesn't seem like that great of a contested catch kind of WR. Aiyuk is another guy who can burn you all over the field, but struggles at times with press coverage, not a big contested catch kind of WR, and only had one year of production at ASU. Tee Higgins is a good prospect, but also struggles at times when a DB is right up on him at the LOS and can seemingly disappear in the middle of a game at times. Justin Jefferson is another good WR prospect, but there are some of the finer details to his route running he will need to address for the next level and he's not a big short area quickness type of WR. I love Claypool, but I am also a Notre Dame homer obviously. Claypool has size @ almost 6'5" and 238lbs, good speed, good with the contested catch, good athleticism as he has a basketball background as well, knows how to use his body to shield defenders, excellent hands, excellent body control, and is the type of WR Josh could throw it up to anywhere on the field if he is left in 1-on-1 coverage. The young man reminds me a lot of Mike Evans. All that being said, he's a big guy so he's not that quick changing direction after a catch. He's not going to catch an 8 yard pass, juke 3 people, and take it 60 for a TD. Also, being a big guy, DB's/LB's will just take his legs out after he catches the ball and he goes down. He's not gonna be a huge YAC guy unless he catches the ball in open space with a head of steam already rolling. At that point he CAN outrun pretty much anyone on the field. KJ Hamler, Tyler Johnson, Collin Johnson, Antonio Gandy-Golden, Michael Pittman Jr., Bryan Edwards, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Van Jefferson, Jauan Jennings, KJ Hill, Quintez Cephus, Stephen Guidry, Omar Bayless, and the list goes on. It's an insane crop to try to sort through.  

1 hour ago, Last Guy on the Bench said:

I'm no draft expert, that's for sure, but I spend more time than I should watching these guys in the run up to the draft, and from what I've seen so far, I think I like Reagor more than anyone except Lamb. Right now I might take him over Jeudy and Ruggs. I love how he snatches the ball out of the air, both when he is covered and when he is not (a lot of guys get too nervous to hands catch it when they are wide open). And he's tough. And fast. What's not to like?

Keeping in mind I'm very high on him relative to most of the class, but as for the arguments that can be used against him: He shows impressive contested catch ability for his size, but he's struggled pretty badly (relatively speaking) with making the easy ones. Of the 28 WRs I've been keeping tabs on for the draft, Reagor was 26th in drop % this past season. He shows flashes of running great routes, especially with double moves, but it's not consistent yet. He doesn't consistently track the deep ball well; for example someone posted a circus catch in this thread, but it was turned into a circus catch because he was so slow to realize that it was an errant throw. That play was pretty reminiscent of the potential game-winner that Zay screwed up for us where he was too slow to realize Tyrod's throw was leading him towards the corner and as a result he failed to get there and make the catch. A guy like Ruggs or Jeudy is probably able to adjust to that throw and walk in for a touchdown instead of having to lay out and make a circus catch like Reagor did. Reagor also only has one year of good production, though that's largely because his QB play was so horrendous; for example, his QB was on-target on 30% of his attempts to Reagor this season. Josh Allen is below-average in terms of on-target throws and he's around 70% lol. And lastly (and least important to me personally), a lot of Bills fans want a big WR and he's not even 5'11".

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

Whereas my order at 4-8 is Higgins, Reagor, Aiyuk, Shenault, Hamler. I'd consider any of those first 3 at #22. But like you probably have preferences for players at other positions. 

And just to out some number on that Ruggs is currently #12 on my Big Board and then Higgins my WR4 comes in at #30, Reagor my WR5 at #34 and Aiyuk my WR6 at #38. Shenault is #46 and Hamler is #48. 

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I have him in my tier 2 group behind the top 3 along with Jefferson, Aiyuk, and Hamler. My tier 3 group is Higgins/Laviska/Mims/Pittman and a few others.

56 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Keeping in mind I'm very high on him relative to most of the class, but as for the arguments that can be used against him: He shows impressive contested catch ability for his size, but he's struggled pretty badly (relatively speaking) with making the easy ones. Of the 28 WRs I've been keeping tabs on for the draft, Reagor was 26th in drop % this past season. He shows flashes of running great routes, especially with double moves, but it's not consistent yet. He doesn't consistently track the deep ball well; for example someone posted a circus catch in this thread, but it was turned into a circus catch because he was so slow to realize that it was an errant throw. That play was pretty reminiscent of the potential game-winner that Zay screwed up for us where he was too slow to realize Tyrod's throw was leading him towards the corner and as a result he failed to get there and make the catch. A guy like Ruggs or Jeudy is probably able to adjust to that throw and walk in for a touchdown instead of having to lay out and make a circus catch like Reagor did. Reagor also only has one year of good production, though that's largely because his QB play was so horrendous; for example, his QB was on-target on 30% of his attempts to Reagor this season. Josh Allen is below-average in terms of on-target throws and he's around 70% lol. And lastly (and least important to me personally), a lot of Bills fans want a big WR and he's not even 5'11".

Fair enough. Good analysis. Thanks. For me, he's got all the talent in the world and when he flashes I love what I see. Whether to draft him high would depend on his character - is he the kind of of guy who's going to respond to a disciplined, learning-focused NFL environment and continue to grow? If so, a lot of what you are saying could be ironed out. On the other hand, if he's the kind of guy to coast on his good plays and not really push himself to get stronger in areas where he struggles, he won't even see the field much for a team like Buffalo.

12 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Sure, he’ll drop a few, but it’s hardly epidemic. And if every speed guy is overshadowed by Ruggs, then “speed guy” takes on a whole new meaning.

Maybe I just need to take a break from watching Reagor, but after chopping down 5 full games, dude looks like a legit threat.

Probably because most haven’t watched the game tape against Ohio State. Oh, and he’s not 6’4” and 220 lbs. Just forget about the Bills interviewing a bunch of fast guys in that 5’11” - 6’1” range....

1 minute ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Probably because most haven’t watched the game tape against Ohio State. Oh, and he’s not 6’4” and 220 lbs. Just forget about the Bills interviewing a bunch of fast guys in that 5’11” - 6’1” range....

I can’t remember a draft with more speed at WR than this one. I mean, in any other year we’d all be drooling over the speed of guys like Hamler, Duvernay, and Aiyuk, but toss in track stars like Ruggs and Reagor and it’s almost like we are spoiled.

And that’s to say nothing of the play speed of guys like Lamb and Jeudy, who are plenty fast enough to separate.

I don’t think we can separate the two bolded parts. Correct me if I’m wrong, but IIRC Reagor caught passes from 7-8 different QBs... 4 different QBs in 2019? One has to wonder if all these backup QBs read coverages incorrectly, they couldn’t get on the same page, etc. Would love to be a fly on the wall in these interviews. 

23 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I can’t remember a draft with more speed at WR than this one. I mean, in any other year we’d all be drooling over the speed of guys like Hamler, Duvernay, and Aiyuk, but toss in track stars like Ruggs and Reagor and it’s almost like we are spoiled.

And that’s to say nothing of the play speed of guys like Lamb and Jeudy, who are plenty fast enough to separate.

Yup. It’s an amazing draft class. Let’s hope that Beane chooses correctly. 

Where are you finding the advanced stats for college? I can’t find drop rate and on-target %...thanks.

40 minutes ago, Last Guy on the Bench said:

Fair enough. Good analysis. Thanks. For me, he's got all the talent in the world and when he flashes I love what I see. Whether to draft him high would depend on his character - is he the kind of of guy who's going to respond to a disciplined, learning-focused NFL environment and continue to grow? If so, a lot of what you are saying could be ironed out. On the other hand, if he's the kind of guy to coast on his good plays and not really push himself to get stronger in areas where he struggles, he won't even see the field much for a team like Buffalo.

His father played in the NFL, and his high school coach was Jon Kitna. He’s been groomed for the NFL. 

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/tcu-horned-frogs/2019/08/05/made-for-greatness-how-jalen-reagor-s-upbringing-propelled-him-to-stardom-at-tcu/

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Gambit said:

I'd be so sad if we didn't go WR in rd 1 but if we don't do so, then this guy would be my next choice if he falls.

Pegs has that penn state connection too. I’m not sure if we’ve ever drafted anyone from there since he took over? I know they traded for Ryan Bates 

?

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1