My sleeper pick round 1

Buffalo716

On 2/24/2020 at 1:08 AM, Buffalo716 said:

I mean we still have Ty and then look at the state of line play across the league. It's terrible, worst in league history

RT is not a plug and play position unless you are top end talent. Most are still developing at 27, some develop till 30..  it's a slow developing position

That's why lots of teams use waiver wire and FAs because they don't have patience to develop them properly

You can work on quickness and technique and he actually showed great quickness in college

Dion Dawkins is not that great either and nobody says anything because he works hard and wants to improve.. he is upgradable but it's hard to find good Tackles

Ford has upside at the Tackle spot. Kicking him inside would be a waste after 16 games

As for Ruiz I don't expect him to be the pick but if the high end skill guys are gone he is a great prospect and a guy I personally would consider at the tail end. Historically where the great interior lineman go. He is a very good athlete, scheme fit, versatile and great at pulling which we do a good amount

he is gonna blow up the combine I believe and his tape + measurables will definitely have someone take him sooner than later imo

I think he showed good quickness out in front on rushes, but he is horrible at the snap and when backpedaling. He was consistently slower off the snap than anyone else. That's a big reason he was projected at guard. Keeping him at RT will only put more pressure on JA, who already has ball security issues. 

9 hours ago, Trogdor said:

I think he showed good quickness out in front on rushes, but he is horrible at the snap and when backpedaling. He was consistently slower off the snap than anyone else. That's a big reason he was projected at guard. Keeping him at RT will only put more pressure on JA, who already has ball security issues. 

I watched every snap of his at guard and Tackle in Oklahoma. He wouldn't have even been a top 3 round pick a guard, he was decent

He became a top two round pick because his tackle play. He was much better at tackle than guard. His guard potential is average while if he can replicate his tackle play at OU he will be high caliber

It's not like he was an amazing guard

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2020 at 7:24 PM, Buffalo716 said:

You don't draft a RT prospect in round 2 and convert him to guard after 1 year

RT is a hard position to play and most peak at 28-30, unless you draft Lane Johnson In the first round

Ford will be Ok, we haven't had a good RT here in a long time because we don't let them develop

Line play across the league is at an all time low, you need development unless you wanna rely on waiver wire and FA

Cody Ford leaving Sooners early for NFL draft

Jan 1, 2019
  • trotter_jake.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Jake TrotterESPN Staff Writer

Oklahoma junior offensive lineman Cody Ford announced Tuesday that he will enter the NFL draft early.

Ford was a first-team All-Big 12 selection for the Sooners, who won the Joe Moore Award for having the best offensive line in college football.

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. ranks Ford as the No. 3 available guard in the upcoming draft.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Ford was a guard through high school and college until injuries required he switch. Many draft analysts considered him a natural guard and noted that he would need improved footwork to deal with speed on the outside as a tackle. He is young, if he can be a good guard now then that would be great. There is no reason he couldn't play tackle down the road as well. Bottom line is that the Bills absolutely need to get better on the oline as it was improved but still a weakness.

Edited by Turk71

2 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Cody Ford leaving Sooners early for NFL draft

Jan 1, 2019
  • trotter_jake.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Jake TrotterESPN Staff Writer

Oklahoma junior offensive lineman Cody Ford announced Tuesday that he will enter the NFL draft early.

Ford was a first-team All-Big 12 selection for the Sooners, who won the Joe Moore Award for having the best offensive line in college football.

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. ranks Ford as the No. 3 available guard in the upcoming draft.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Ford was a guard through high school and college until injuries required he switch. Many draft analysts considered him a natural guard and noted that he would need improved footwork to deal with speed on the outside as a tackle. He is young, if he can be a good guard now then that would be great. There is no reason he couldn't play tackle down the road as well. Bottom line is that the Bills absolutely need to get better on the oline as it was improved but still a weakness.

Like Mel Kiper and other "analyst's" have never been wrong before?

I watched every snap Cody Ford at guard and Tackle and he was a better tackle at OU

He might be a good guard but he was drafted in the 2nd cus his tackle play. He wouldn't have been a top 90 pick at guard

Edited by Buffalo716

On 2/23/2020 at 10:24 PM, Buffalo716 said:

RT is a hard position to play and most peak at 28-30, unless you draft Lane Johnson In the first round

Ford will be Ok, we haven't had a good RT here in a long time because we don't let them develop

Line play across the league is at an all time low, you need development unless you wanna rely on waiver wire and FA

You realize how many OGs in the league played OT in college and shifted to OG in the NFL?

2 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

You realize how many OGs in the league played OT in college and shifted to OG in the NFL?

Obviously but that isn't the point, Like I said, I have watched all his snaps at OG and OT at OU.. and he was a better T imo... Would have maybe been a 4th round guard, late 3rd if someone really liked him

It's a million times harder to find a starting OT than it is a OG, especially in the first 2 rounds

The Bills need to let development take place.. realistically if they wanted him at OG they shoulda just put him there day 1.. tackles get kicked inside alot as you said.. but it's almost always a last ditch move to salvage their career.. not a flip of a second year prospect

But the Bills need to play their best players regardless but we haven't had a top o line here because we don't let players develop on the Oline

Edited by Buffalo716

51 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Obviously but that isn't the point, Like I said, I have watched all his snaps at OG and OT at OU.. and he was a better T imo...

It's a million times harder to find a starting OT than it is a OG, especially in the first 2 rounds

The Bills need to let development take place.. realistically if they wanted him at OG they shoulda just put him there day 1..

But the Bills need to play their best players

FWIW he was a better guard than tackle in his first NFL season IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Obviously but that isn't the point, Like I said, I have watched all his snaps at OG and OT at OU.. and he was a better T imo... Would have maybe been a 4th round guard, late 3rd if someone really liked him

The Bills need to let development take place.. realistically if they wanted him at OG they shoulda just put him there day 1.. tackles get kicked inside alot as you said.. but it's almost always a last ditch move to salvage their career.. not a flip of a second year prospect

But the Bills need to play their best players regardless but we haven't had a top o line here because we don't let players develop on the Oline

You are one of a very very very small group of people that think Ford is/will be better at OT than OG.

A good amount of his scouting reports (draft year) even alluded to Ford potentially being better off kicking inside. So I sincerely doubt his draft stock would have taken a hit if he was considered a guard coming out. As most projected he would have a better career at that position. 

One of the best linemen in the league Nelson was a OT at ND, yet everyone knew he was going to kick inside, and he was selected where? Not comparing Ford to Nelson, just pointing out, projecting to be better inside than out, is not necessarily going go hurt someones stock.

Edited by BillsFan17

On 2/23/2020 at 10:24 PM, Buffalo716 said:

If he's best suited you sure do.  Anything else is wasted picks that could have addressed the issue.  I'll trust the brains to do it right & have the vision to construct a complete team.  I hope that nobody in the room feels like you do. 

1 hour ago, BillsFan17 said:

You are one of a very very very small group of people that think Ford is/will be better at OT than OG.

A good amount of his scouting reports (draft year) even alluded to Ford potentially being better off kicking inside. So I sincerely doubt his draft stock would have taken a hit if he was considered a guard coming out. As most projected he would have a better career at that position. 

One of the best linemen in the league Nelson was a OT at ND, yet everyone knew he was going to kick inside, and he was selected where? Not comparing Ford to Nelson, just pointing out, projecting to be better inside than out, is not necessarily going go hurt someones stock.

Yea and I bet none of those analysts watched him play at guard because he was a much better tackle at OU. He was dominant, while a good guard

He wasn't a dominant guard that is my point. Most scouting reports talk about elite athleticism and size perfect for developing at tackle .. with G as a Fail-Safe... Taking a dude with his athleticism and instantly sticking him at G is a waste when he can be a very valuable tackle

https://www.walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2019cford.php

I don't think Walter football is gospel but he even mentions better at T than G. Sure he can play guard he's a great athlete. But he is a greater help at T if he develops

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/cody-ford

"Has all the tools to be top tier player. Needs refinement first and proper coaching preferably at T first, then moving to G if consistently struggles"

It's easier to play Guard I don't doubt he can BUT we need a RT. It's been like a decade or more. And you need to develop them

And ND is my favorite college Quentin Nelson was a guard not Tackle

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

FWIW he was a better guard than tackle in his first NFL season IMO.

In the NFL With limited snaps?

It's easier to play guard than tackle , so naturally you will look better because you have more help. Your weaknesses are hidden better

There are alot of good guards in the NFL, you can find them in FA every year, 

It's hard to find a good tackle and most are developed over time...  They give up on him and we need a tackle

He also had good games at tackle as a rook he wasn't a complete fail. We will never have a good RT if we don't develop them

Edited by Buffalo716

37 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

In the NFL With limited snaps?

It's easier to play guard than tackle , so naturally you will look better because you have more help. Your weaknesses are hidden better

There are alot of good guards in the NFL, you can find them in FA every year, 

It's hard to find a good tackle and most are developed over time...  They give up on him and we need a tackle

He also had good games at tackle as a rook he wasn't a complete fail. We will never have a good RT if we don't develop them

I’m not saying don’t develop him, and neither are Beane and McD.  But ultimately it wasn’t a banner year at tackle for him.  And you don’t need me to tell you or anyone that, McD has made that abundantly clear but still to this day not committing to a position for him.  

At the end of the day the only thing that matters is what the best group of 5 guys is to protect Josh and open up the running lanes too.  And it’s a legit possibly that 5 guy group includes him at guard, just like it’s a legit possibility it includes him at tackle.  

But at the end of the day, he had better play as a rookie at guard than tackle.  Doesn’t mean he can’t get better at tackle though, just means he did not lock down the job at tackle and Beane will never hesitate to make this roster better which includes finding a better option at tackle if he sees an opportunity to do so.

Edited by Alphadawg7

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I’m not saying don’t develop him, and neither are Beane and McD.  But ultimately it wasn’t a banner year at tackle for him.  And you don’t need me to tell you or anyone that, McD has made that abundantly clear but still to this day not committing to a position for him.  

At the end of the day the only thing that matters is what the best group of 5 guys is to protect Josh and open up the running lanes too.  And it’s a legit possibly that 5 guy group includes him at guard, just like it’s a legit possibility it includes him at tackle.  

But at the end of the day, he had better play as a rookie at guard than tackle.  Doesn’t mean he can’t get better at tackle though, just means he did not lock down the job at tackle and Beane will never hesitate to make this roster better which includes finding a better option at tackle if he sees an opportunity to do so.

Yea those are all valid points. He also probably has a higher floor at G than T so it's no surprise he looked a bit better

He's a raw player, who needs technique work and G hides flaws

If he can figure out his footwork , with his size and athleticism he can be a tremendous RT . I wouldn't want to give up on that in 1 year is my point

If he is a dumpster fire , ok

11 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Like Mel Kiper and other "analyst's" have never been wrong before?

I watched every snap Cody Ford at guard and Tackle and he was a better tackle at OU

He might be a good guard but he was drafted in the 2nd cus his tackle play. He wouldn't have been a top 90 pick at guard

I don't disagree with this, my point is that the Bills need a better line now, not waiting  until Ford is good enough at tackle. If Ford is not ready at tackle yet but could play well at guard then that is where he should play. 

There have been plenty of guards taken in the top 90 picks by the way. Also plenty of tackles taken who ended up as guard. The situation should be fluid and Ford should be playing where he helps the Bills most, not limited to where they intended him to play.

• Like (+1) 1