My sleeper pick round 1

Buffalo716

27 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I mean we still have Ty and then look at the state of line play across the league. It's terrible, worst in league history

RT is not a plug and play position unless you are top end talent. Most are still developing at 27, some develop till 30..  it's a slow developing position

That's why lots of teams use waiver wire and FAs because they don't have patience to develop them properly

You can work on quickness and technique and he actually showed great quickness in college

Dion Dawkins is not that great either and nobody says anything because he works hard and wants to improve.. he is upgradable but it's hard to find good Tackles

Ford has upside at the Tackle spot. Kicking him inside would be a waste after 16 games

As for Ruiz I don't expect him to be the pick but if the high end skill guys are gone he is a great prospect and a guy I personally would consider at the tail end. Historically where the great interior lineman go. He is a very good athlete, scheme fit, versatile and great at pulling which we do a good amount

he is gonna blow up the combine I believe and his tape + measurables will definitely have someone take him sooner than later imo

Just because the state of OL around the league is poor doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try and surround Josh allen with good OLmen

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Who does he replace

we are so loaded at iol

Span who I believe is UFA. He can also take over for Morse in a few 

Again I'm just spitballng some out the box ideas . Not the status quo

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Just because the state of OL around the league is poor doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try and surround Josh allen with good OLmen

Exactly which is why I would consider taking Ruiz who is a better guard prospect than Ford imo

Ford is not a lost cause not at all. He was one of the top rookie tackles last year, give him this year to see how rapid or slow his progression is

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Exactly which is why I would consider taking Ruiz who is a better guard prospect than Ford imo

Ford is not a lost cause not at all. He was one of the top rookie tackles last year, give him this year to see how rapid or slow his progression is

Just Re-sign Spain then and pick a WR or DE at Pick 22..

18 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I’d rather try ford inside and get an entirely new RT.  I can’t count on nsekhe and I hope Beane doesn’t count on the same 1-2 combo as last season.

8 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Just Re-sign Spain then and pick a WR or DE at Pick 22..

There may be no DE worth the pick or WR depending how it falls ... It's no man's land where the best value looks to be Oline, DB 

We may need to move up to grab a WR or End. Staying put would leave us with a host of lineman , DBs , possibly DT

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

There may be no DE worth the pick or WR depending how it falls ... It's no man's land where the best value looks to be Oline, DB 

We may need to move up to grab a WR or End. Staying put would leave us with a host of lineman , DBs , possibly DT

I know Ruiz had been mocked to the Bills at 22 but I don’t see it..

Please feel free to bump this thread on draft night to rub my nose in it..

I will predict now that there is a WR or DE available that they take in the draft at that spot..

Other option will be that the pick has been traded away for a DE or WR..

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

I know Ruiz had been mocked to the Bills at 22 but I don’t see it..

Please feel free to bump this thread on draft night to rub my nose in it..

I will predict now that there is a WR or DE available that they take in the draft at that spot..

Other option will be that the pick has been traded away for a DE or WR..

First if you actually read my OP I never said I think the Bills will draft him. I actually said I don't think they will

I said if I was GM and the board fell a certain way I would consider this personally

And I didn't even know he was mocked to us. I don't pay attention to those

I have nothing against drafting an elite OG or C in the first round.  Rush the passer and protect the passer.  But not this year.  They need 3 front 7 defenders in the first four rounds of this draft and a WR.  Even if they sign AJ Green, I would still take a WR in the  second round.  

Best case scenario is bring back Spain on an affordable deal, keep Ford at RT, and add youth to the OLB and DE positions.  

From walterfootball

Michigan_logo.gif Cesar Ruiz, C, Michigan
Height: 6-4. Weight: 319.
Projected 40 Time: 5.29.
Projected Round (2020): 3-5.

2/8/20: Ruiz decided to skip his senior year to enter the 2020 NFL Draft after putting together a quality collegiate career for Michigan. He is a well-balanced blocker in the ground game and in pass protection. Additionally, he has a lot of experience from being a 3-year starter. Ruiz has enough size to also compete at guard as well. To start his NFL career, Ruiz could serve as a game-day backup for both guard spots and center.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Why is the OP in odd sized fonts?  Usually happens when you copy and paste.

newbee move.  I made the same mistake when I was in one of my first posts.  Mostly, because I’m half blind without my glasses.  Buffalo is no newbee, so maybe he lost his cheaters for that morning.  You know I’m kidding 716.  

• Haha (+1) 1

I will never be mad at taking an OL prospect (assuming it’s not a gigantic reach like a guy projected in the 7th), so I’d be fine with Ruiz. 

I think we’re at the point where we will be tempted to go in a lot of different directions that the media doesn’t necessary see coming.

There will certainly be talented WRs like a Shenault, Jefferson, Aiyuk, Reagor, etc. available at our pick and maybe some worthwhile Edge prospects, but given the depth at WR and the potential that the Edge guys are gone, a more long-term need or secondary need like CB, OL, or safety wouldn’t surprise me. Could even justify a LB depending on how negotiations with Milano are going. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

You don't draft a RT prospect in round 2 and convert him to guard after 1 year

RT is a hard position to play and most peak at 28-30, unless you draft Lane Johnson In the first round

Ford will be Ok, we haven't had a good RT here in a long time because we don't let them develop

Line play across the league is at an all time low, you need development unless you wanna rely on waiver wire and FA

Oh please.  Brandon Schreff was touted as one of the best OT in the draft and the Redskins moved him to guard after taking him #5 overall.  Marshal Yanda was drafted as a right tackle before switching to guard and he's been to seven pro bowls.  Ford's strengths make him much more suited as a starting guard and I suspect he'll dominate at that position.

8 hours ago, NC Book said:

I would not be mad at this. I'm all for monsters in the trenches. Lots of WR depth in this draft. I may actually prefer going that route in rounds 2 or 3.

Agreed.  OL or DL for in 1st round.   I am hoping we deal with WR in FA.  We need a #1 WR.  

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

You don't draft a RT prospect in round 2 and convert him to guard after 1 year

RT is a hard position to play and most peak at 28-30, unless you draft Lane Johnson In the first round

Ford will be Ok, we haven't had a good RT here in a long time because we don't let them develop

Line play across the league is at an all time low, you need development unless you wanna rely on waiver wire and FA

Ford played almost entirely at guard in college until his senior year. He was one of the best guards in the country. His footwork isn’t quick enough to handle fast edge rushers and that was evident. 

There is nothing wrong at all with moving him inside to his best position. By going after a true RT, our line solves two needs with one addition. I don’t see how this is a bad thing.