Quit Smoking! FIGHT ME!

Bakin

3 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

In addition to health,  I would imagine your bank account will improve as well. I was floored the other day when a a lady at the beer store in front of me bought a carton of smokes for $90, and said it was cheap compared to where she is from.

Ha. Well, I'm sure one is worse than the other... doubt I'll ever stop drinking beer, there are too many good tastes out there, but I'd sure like to quit the cigs. Funny though, I stopped smoking weed like instantly... many years ago due to my job. Once I retire I'll hit the weed again, kind of miss it... especially on a nice morning.

Kudo's to the OP.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, T&C said:

Ha. Well, I'm sure one is worse than the other... doubt I'll ever stop drinking beer, there are too many good tastes out there, but I'd sure like to quit the cigs. Funny though, I stopped smoking weed like instantly... many years ago due to my job. Once I retire I'll hit the weed again, kind of miss it... especially on a nice morning.

Kudo's to the OP.

My thing with weed and alcohol is at least there is a return on the investment. If you're going to shell out money there better be a buzz associated with it.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Bakin said:

I did buy an extra pint of Haagen Dazs at the store today. Damn the torpedos. Hope my waistline doesn’t expand. 
yup smoking is expensive - especially when you smoke the more expensive brands like I did. $136 a carton here. When I would travel for duty free I could get them for $25-75 a carton. 
oh well I hope I can keep it going. 

I remember, Virginia in the 70's, when they were $2 a carton.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

My thing with weed and alcohol is at least there is a return on the investment. If you're going to shell out money there better be a buzz associated with it.

Well, that's a Gonzo way of looking at it. I don't drink hard booze but some of the prices out there for That are pretty crazy too. 

I had quit the cigs... guess "stopped", for 2 years. All was fine until my employ sent me to another location to help fix their situation. One day in I realized what a train wreck I had been sent to and bought a pack. Try to cut down now and am going to try to do what the OP is doing. When I had stopped I eased myself slowly down... 876543210. Worked then anyways.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Bakin said:

By tonight it will have been a week. 
Definitely struggled for a few moments here and there. Day 3-4 was the hardest in terms of nicotine withdrawal for me. 
But I believe the hardest part is done. 
I used Allan Carr’s Easyway and smoked while I read the book and woke up the next morning intent on being done. 
I have smoked for 27 years...not heavy (8-12 a day) but without fail. 

Good job, just don't let yourself get around other smokers. Don't give in, even if for just one cigg, you'll be back smoking on no time. Hold strong 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Bakin said:

Definitely struggled for a few moments here and there. Day 3-4 was the hardest in terms of nicotine withdrawal for me. 
I used Allan Carr’s Easyway and smoked while I read the book and woke up the next morning intent on being done. 

Keep it going, brother.

I once quit for three years (I used the patch) and started up again.  Now I'm a smoker ... again.  

Gotta be in the right frame of mind.  You can do it if YOU want to.  You got this.  Good luck, man!!!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Bakin said:

Good job so far.

I remember the early days of quitting. If I had owned a machete at the time, people would have been dead. I’m barely exaggerating.

Buy a bunch of sugarless gum.

Edited by snafu
  • Like (+1) 1

Nice work. It takes some time but in a few months you will feel so much better physically. I smoked a bit in high school and heavily in college. Quit in 2006 after a particularly epic bender going back to my college for homecoming. Lit one up on the drive home and it just tasted disgusting since I smashed off about 2+ packs the night before. A few days turned into a few weeks and just kept it going. For me, the daily stuff was easy it was the moment any alcohol hit my throat that was tough. That lasted for a while but then it got to the point where I couldn’t stand the smell of cig smoke. After years, I even knocked back a few cigs here and there but it still just grossed me out. Now don’t get me wrong, I enjoy a cigar from time to time and I’ve unfortunately gotten in the habit of some occasional Juul puffs when I’m having a few cold ones but I don’t make it a regular occurrence. Everything in moderation! Good luck! 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Bakin said:

It’s the nicotine addiction. 
It’s the most addictive substance known to man. Surprisingly giving it up short term is not that difficult (so far). Long term I’m skeptical about staying off it. I’m a weak man!

Bakin, I too used Carr’s book. My quit day was May 8, 2008. So been almost 12 years. You made the short term, you will make the long term. BTW, I have not had ANY nicotine since that day. No cigars etc. Still have dreams every once in a while where I smoke and get so pissed, but then wake up and all good! 

12 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

Good job! Every puff is contributing to the process of killing you. Dont contribute to the process.  

What’s crazy is these are the exact kind of quotes and statements that will keep people smoking. None of that “‘scared straight” ***** works when it comes to this addiction. Understanding the physical addiction and the mental fears of quitting is what works. 

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

Keep it going, brother.

I once quit for three years (I used the patch) and started up again.  Now I'm a smoker ... again.  

Gotta be in the right frame of mind.  You can do it if YOU want to.  You got this.  Good luck, man!!!!!

Dude, get the Allen Carr book if you want to quit. Truly is close to 100% success rate with the people I know who have read it, which now with Bakin would be like 8 of 9 people I know have read are still quit. Good thing is there is no scary pictures of lungs or decrepit old people depicting what will happen to you if you keep smoking , but rather gets you to really understand the addiction and the fears we all have about quitting. I know I was like golf , meals, Bills games, sex, ... none of it will be the same with out my Marlboro Reds. 

ya know, they are all the same, just enjoy all those things way more without the worry of where will I get my smokes in! 

anyway, get the book. It encourages you to smoke while you are reading it, it’s like $10 on Amazon. If you don’t buy into it, cost ya a beer at the bar!

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Bakin, I too used Carr’s book. My quit day was May 8, 2008. So been almost 12 years. You made the short term, you will make the long term. BTW, I have not had ANY nicotine since that day. No cigars etc. Still have dreams every once in a while where I smoke and get so pissed, but then wake up and all good! 

What’s crazy is these are the exact kind of quotes and statements that will keep people smoking. None of that “‘scared straight” ***** works when it comes to this addiction. Understanding the physical addiction and the mental fears of quitting is what works. 

Dude, get the Allen Carr book if you want to quit. Truly is close to 100% success rate with the people I know who have read it, which now with Bakin would be like 8 of 9 people I know have read are still quit. Good thing is there is no scary pictures of lungs or decrepit old people depicting what will happen to you if you keep smoking , but rather gets you to really understand the addiction and the fears we all have about quitting. I know I was like golf , meals, Bills games, sex, ... none of it will be the same with out my Marlboro Reds. 

ya know, they are all the same, just enjoy all those things way more without the worry of where will I get my smokes in! 

anyway, get the book. It encourages you to smoke while you are reading it, it’s like $10 on Amazon. If you don’t buy into it, cost ya a beer at the bar!

Actually the book was extremely helpful. 

I was very skeptical, and needless to say, FEARFUL, to read the book.  

But what it did was HYPNOTIZE me...It was a truly hypnotic experience to read those 100 pages.  

The biggest thing I took from it, and every time my mental addiction to nicotine kicks in,

I say to myself: "I'M NOT DENYING MYSELF ANYTHING".  

I know - doesn't make much sense.  It's a double negative..maybe even a triple negative....it's obscure.  

But whatever it is - it's resonated with me and stuck with me. 

I'm not denying myself anything by NOT smoking. 

Smoking is a horrible activity.  There are millions of cons vs no 'real' pros.  

I'M NOT GIVING ANYTHING - OF VALUE - UP....

Really helped me...FWIW...

Edited by Bakin
  • Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

HEARD.

Let me tell ya this...i was a closet smoker cause wife hated it.Which made it even harder to quit cause the relief i would get from that first smoke was the best relief in the world.

After 8 hours of no fix to my nicotine addiction, you could have offered me an hour to do dirty things with Charlize Theron or have a Marlboro...and i would pick the Marlboro 100% of the time. 

Edited by plenzmd1

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

After 8 hours of no fix to my nicotine addiction, you could have offered me an hour to do dirty things with Charlize Theron or have a Marlboro...and i would pick the Marlboro 100% of the time. 

She wouldn't want you anyway.........you don't look anything like Jason Bateman.

MR. F!!!!

Image result for charlize theron Mr. F

Keep at it! My dad smoked cigarettes from age 14 to 34.  Switched to Cigars and pipes until age 53. Stopped cold turkey after a heart attack. Recovered but the damage was done. Died of lung cancer at 60, thirty years ago. 

Edited by Wacka
  • Thank you (+1) 1