Marlin Briscoe, the NFL and the Bills

chris heff

15 hours ago, RJ (not THAT RJ) said:

Marlin Briscoe believed Lou Saban was responsible for him losing the QB job in Denver on the basis of his race, and there is evidence. He had success one season at QB in Denver, then when Lou was hired, Marlin was not even invited to the QB meetings at the first training camp, then was traded to Buffalo. Then when Lou shows up in Buffalo in 1972, the first things he does is dump both Marlin (traded to Dolphins) and James Harris. Briscoe responded to the trade by lashing out at Saban. This led to the situation in 1972 when Lou had to rely on sore-armed Dennis Shaw, and then when he was inevitably ineffective, to turn to such titans of the pivot as Mike Taliaferro and Leo Hart at QB. They stunk, but they were the right color for Lou. When the Bills traveled to LA in 1974 to play the Rams, even OJ commented on how shabbily James Harris (who was then starting for the Rams) had been treated. 

Saban was a fine coach in many ways, but this is a (pun intended) black mark on his career. That and his psychotic Wanderlust.

This. Unfortunately so. Not sure Brisco would have been an effective QB over time, and it did work out for him in Miami. But, I wonder where Ralph was while all this was going on?

20 hours ago, Augie said:

If you draft a black QB to replace your black QB, can it really be racist? Or is it really just picking the position where the player is most likely to help the team? Marlin the Magician was a better WR than he was a QB. Keep it simple is my motto. Their is nothing to support racism here (not that it did NOT exist then or now). 

The Bills drafted Harris before trading for Briscoe. Both were then dumped by Lou Saban as soon as he became coach of the Bills. That's where one can see the racism.

5 minutes ago, RJ (not THAT RJ) said:

The Bills drafted Harris before trading for Briscoe. Both were then dumped by Lou Saban as soon as he became coach of the Bills. That's where one can see the racism.

One could argue racism, sure. It doesn’t mean it’s actually there to see. Teams move on from players all the time, especially when they get a new head coach. Maybe Saban really did have an issue with black QB’s, but I can’t firmly conclude that based on the information available. But yes, it is certainly possible and would go against the grain of the team that had already put them on the roster. Maybe I just hope there’s nothing to see.....