Yardbarker review of Josh Allen 2019 season

CorkScrewHill

5 hours ago, BigBillsFan said:

I would Trust McD more if Dennison wasn't brought in, then fired, then started a season with only 2 inexperienced players for QB and no legit WRs for their 7th overall pick to throw to.

Now these are fair points.  Though bringing in appropriate player personnel would be to Beane's area of responsibility.

5 hours ago, BigBillsFan said:

I would Trust McD more if Dennison wasn't brought in, then fired, then started a season with only 2 inexperienced players for QB and no legit WRs for their 7th overall pick to throw to.

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Now these are fair points.  Though bringing in appropriate player personnel would be to Beane's area of responsibility.

I totally get the criticism (Beane) for going into a season with a rookie and Nathan ***** Peterman.  But with all the holes Beane inherited, I can't fault him too much for the lack of weapons (WRs) for Josh to throw to.  No one (should have) expected that to be a successful season, record-wise.

I don't trust McD with anything offense-related.  I do trust Beane to get some talent in there and set Josh up for success.

If Beane does that and Josh doesn't improve, then they're going to have a tough decision.  But if the problem (again, IMO) is Daboll and his head-scratching run abandonment and other asinine play calls, then THAT decision should be easy.

I think any truly good/great team would have fired Daboll after last season.  We'll have to see if continuity means anything.  I am not holding my breath.

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

But he really hasn't shown he has the same ability to staff and roster the Offense.  

This is exactly the kind of statement that people make when they don't understand the process.  McDermott was a defensive coach for 16 years before becoming a head coach.  Beginning three years ago, he had to begin doing the job of head coach, which includes managing the offense.   He had been a defensive coach for the previous 15 years, so he was starting from the basics on the offense.   He's learning too.   He's 45 years old and has another 20 years of coaching ahead of him.   His approach is to learn and get better, all the time, and that's what he's likely to do, including on the offense.   

So the fact that he hasn't shown "the same ability to staff and the roster the Offense" is more or less irrelevant.   He's learning how to do that.   He didn't know how "to staff and roster" a defense after three years of coaching defense, either.  

His program is designed to improve, year after year.   His team has been doing exactly that.   When the offense is clearly improving, it doesn't make sense to say "he hasn't shown the ability" as though to suggest he won't be able to do it in the future.  

McDermott expects his young players to improve, and he expects his inexperienced coaches, including himself, to improve.   That's the process.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

This is exactly the kind of statement that people make when they don't understand the process.  McDermott was a defensive coach for 16 years before becoming a head coach.  Beginning three years ago, he had to begin doing the job of head coach, which includes managing the offense.   He had been a defensive coach for the previous 15 years, so he was starting from the basics on the offense.   He's learning too.   He's 45 years old and has another 20 years of coaching ahead of him.   His approach is to learn and get better, all the time, and that's what he's likely to do, including on the offense.   

So the fact that he hasn't shown "the same ability to staff and the roster the Offense" is more or less irrelevant.   He's learning how to do that.   He didn't know how "to staff and roster" a defense after three years of coaching defense, either.  

His program is designed to improve, year after year.   His team has been doing exactly that.   When the offense is clearly improving, it doesn't make sense to say "he hasn't shown the ability" as though to suggest he won't be able to do it in the future.  

McDermott expects his young players to improve, and he expects his inexperienced coaches, including himself, to improve.   That's the process.   

All of the highlighted is irrelevant.  A HC shouldn't be learning on the job.  The Offense is still anemic, 3 years in. If he is more fit for DC, then so be it.   But that's not what Pegula hired him for. 

Every HC in the NFL "expects his young players to improve".  McD has invented no such "process".  It's all cliché unless he can turn the Offense around THIS year.

Third season, same OC and HC is huge.  

All the offseason stuff is great but nothing develops young players better than actual snaps and you could see Josh get better as the season went on.  

Only got smoked by Philly, we were in the other 4 losses til the end Balt, NE and CLE. 

Very excited for next season and i'll remind everyone who keeps saying how tough our schedule looks, we have no idea how each team is going to be next year.  Last offseason teams like the Rams, Dallas, Cleveland, Pitt seemed poised to be solid post season teams and none even sniffed the playoffs.  

Is it time for training camp yet?

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

I totally get the criticism (Beane) for going into a season with a rookie and Nathan ***** Peterman.  But with all the holes Beane inherited, I can't fault him too much for the lack of weapons (WRs) for Josh to throw to.  No one (should have) expected that to be a successful season, record-wise.

I still think we should have grabbed some declining vets like Decker, Crabtree or Rishard Matthews.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BigBillsFan said:

It wasn't just having Peterman and Allen as the ONLY Buffalo Bills QB's going into the 2018 season opener as that Buffalo Bills offensive line was literally godawful to ask two inexperienced QB's to start behind. 

That 2018 offensive line was graded at 26th and the only player who looked half way decent was Wyatt Teller who started in the last half of the 2018 season allowing the fewest pressures during that time. Teller was traded to the Browns because while he was decent at pass blocking he was a poor run blocker. 

Let's also recall McD hiring an ex-WR coach coach to be the new QB coach in 2018. He was then replaced by an actual QB coach in Ken Dorsey who is the current Buffalo QB coach. 

So, looking back at that 2018 season those two inexperienced QB's started the season with (1) no viable QB coach, (2) no veteran QB on the roster to teach them the ropes, (3) an absolutely horrid offensive line. (4) A WR corps who consisted of the top two targets in WR Zay Jones had 102 targets, caught 56 balls for a 54.9% catch percentage. WR Kelvin Benjamin who was traded for by giving up a 3rd round pick had 62 targets, caught 23 balls for a 37.1% catch percentage. 

In my view the ONLY reason the 2018 Buffalo Bills went 6-10 was because QB Josh Allen emerged as an unbelievable talent in running when the O line broke down...which was quite often! To put that talent into perspective, starting Bills RB LeSean McCoy had 161 rush attempts for 561 yards, 3 TD's. Josh Allen 89 rush attempts for 631 yards, 8 TD's.

Allen was so good at running the ball that the new Bills OC decided to install designed QB run plays to help make his offense work...and the reality was the Buffalo Bills offense stunk, 30th in points, 30th in yards. 

As it was the 2018 Buffalo Bills passing offense was 31st in passing yards, 32nd in passing TDs. Bills OC Brian Daboll took credit for that rookie QB's incredible running/escape-ability! 

Fast forward to 2019 and the Buffalo offense was still ranked 23rd in points, 24th in yards, 26th in passing yards, 24th in passing TDs. This after replacing almost the entire starting offensive line save LT Dion Dawkins, the starting WR corps with new WR's Cole Beasley, John Brown. This season QB Josh Allen had even more rushing attempts 109, for 510 yards and 9 rushing TD's. 

Lastly, I would expect this regime to upgrade the Bills offensive line even more in the draft as they showed little improvement over that 2018 line against the better teams played, Eagles, Patriots, Ravens. Those Bills line players, line coach should have worn bags over their heads after that Ravens game in allowing 6 sacks on Allen and a Ravens defense that upped their normal 50% blitz package to over 65% against the Bills. That Ravens D allowed Buffalo a measly 3.1 yards per play.

Josh Allen had 39 pass attempts in that Ravens game and 22 incompletions. Against those pass attempts the Ravens sent four or fewer pass rushers on just 5 of those 22 QB unsuccessful drop backs- a near 80% blitz rate. The Bills had no answer for it. The buck stops with the Bills OC it finding ways to make things work. Clearly the Bills should have worked the run game more often with Devin Singletary in which he was averaging 5.2 yards per carry. Gore had 4 carries for 6 yards a 1.5 YPC avg. (This game should have been a clue that Gore was done)

Talking about needing improvement, that game also showed that the Bills need an upgrade at WR too. Because both Beasley and Brown were covered like blankets in that game and showed very little separation. (Same old routes, routine? The players or the coaches?) 

As others have pointed out, I had honestly hoped that Bills OC Brian Daboll would have been replaced by someone who has shown the ability to have success as an NFL offensive coordinator. In his six seasons as an NFL coordinator the man has never had an offense better 23rd in passing yards.  Bills fans want to make the case for continuity and yet if something isn't working very well, why keep doing it? Like asking Allen to throw 39 times into a heavy blitz when the run game was working with Singletary.  JMHO. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

All of the highlighted is irrelevant.  A HC shouldn't be learning on the job.  The Offense is still anemic, 3 years in. If he is more fit for DC, then so be it.   But that's not what Pegula hired him for. 

Every HC in the NFL "expects his young players to improve".  McD has invented no such "process".  It's all cliché unless he can turn the Offense around THIS year.

I hope it makes you feel good to say all this stuff.   

EVERY head coach is learning on the job the first time he's a head coach, and it's a multiple year learning process.   They all will tell you that.  

So go ahead and rant and make demands, but I prefer reality.   The reality is that McDermott is NOT three years in.   In the first year, he intentionally left the offense as it was and worked on the defense.   It was obvious to everyone, except you, I guess.   They did nothing at QB, on the oline, at receiver.   The second season, they got their QB and intended not to play him.   So the second year was clearly setting the table.   The third year they went to work on the oline and the receivers and they were in what they had planned as Allen's first year on the field.   

Under those circumstances, to say that McDermott is three years into building the is simply stupid.   Anyone who was paying attention understood two years ago that 2020 was the first season that they expected the team to be solidly good.   Turns out they were a year ahead of schedule.   

Being unhappy with where this team is is ridiculous.   

18 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

EVERY head coach is learning on the job the first time he's a head coach, and it's a multiple year learning process.   They all will tell you that.  

So go ahead and rant and make demands, but I prefer reality.   The reality is that McDermott is NOT three years in.   In the first year, he intentionally left the offense as it was and worked on the defense.   It was obvious to everyone, except you, I guess.   They did nothing at QB, on the oline, at receiver.   The second season, they got their QB and intended not to play him.   So the second year was clearly setting the table.   The third year they went to work on the oline and the receivers and they were in what they had planned as Allen's first year on the field.   

Under those circumstances, to say that McDermott is three years into building the is simply stupid.   Anyone who was paying attention understood two years ago that 2020 was the first season that they expected the team to be solidly good.   Turns out they were a year ahead of schedule.   

And this year we'll focus on special teams so the 1st year won't count until 2021.

Honestly can't you see the hires they've made on offense problematic? What makes you think it will be different? If they thought Dennison and Zay Jones were so awesome what makes you think they will figure it out in year 4? What evidence is there?

35 minutes ago, BigBillsFan said:

And this year we'll focus on special teams so the 1st year won't count until 2021.

Honestly can't you see the hires they've made on offense problematic? What makes you think it will be different? If they thought Dennison and Zay Jones were so awesome what makes you think they will figure it out in year 4? What evidence is there?

No I don't think the hires they made were problematic at all.   They've done exactly what they said they were going to - build through the draft and plug holes in free agency.   

Other than Poyer and Hyde in the first season, they've build the defense through the draft.   Milano, Edmunds, White, Oliver, Phillips.   They've built the offense through the draft, also.  Allen, Singletary, Ford.  Morse is the only exception.   All the other free agents are gap fillers.   

McDermott has replaced the coaches he hired at first that he didn't like.  Nothing wrong with that.   

They are building the team in exactly the way they said they would build team.   You might want it to have happened faster, but that just means that you don't like their approach.   If you're thinking, you understand the approach they are taking, and if you understand the approach, you don't expect the results to have been different than they were.   They're building a team and they aren't done yet, by their own design.   

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I’ll never understand how pointing out obvious deficiencies should or could be related to feeling good, being happy, being unhappy.  It’s a really strange way to assess opinions.

Anyway...

They drafted a QB in the top 10 and intended not to play him....in favor of Nate Peterman?  That was a completely predictable error.  With no serviceable alternative,  you start your rookie first round QB.  Luckily that error was corrected by NPs historically bad play and Josh got right in there and started learning how to PLAY (not watch) and he didn’t waste a year in his much needed development.  And 3 years in “working on the WRs” is bringing in Brown and Beasley.  WRs are also available in the draft you know.  3 excellent ones were available after they picked Ford, a T they may now have to move to G....and draft another T.

Pointing this stuff out doesn’t bring joy or sadness, any more than does pointing to the sky and declaring “there is the sun”.  

Edited by Mr. WEO

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I’ll never understand how pointing out obvious deficiencies should or could be related to feeling good, being happy, being unhappy.  It’s a really strange way to assess opinions.

Anyway...

They drafted a QB in the top 10 and intended not to play him....in favor of Nate Peterman?  That was a completely predictable error.  With no serviceable alternative,  you start your rookie first round QB.  Luckily that error was corrected by NPs historically bad play and Josh got right in there and started learning how to PLAY (not watch) and he didn’t waste a year in his much needed development.  And 3 years in “working on the WRs” is bringing in Brown and Beasley.  WRs are also available in the draft you know.  3 excellent ones were available after they picked Ford, a T they may now have to move to G....and draft another T.

Pointing this stuff out doesn’t bring joy or sadness, any more than does pointing to the sky and declaring “there is the sun”.  

They are obvious deficiencies, I agree.  But they weren't unanticipated deficiencies.   

And the deficiencies aren't the result of mistakes.  They've had about 10 picks in the first three rounds of the draft since McD arrived, six or seven since Beane.  They got White Allen Edmunds Phillips Ford Oliver Singletary, maybe someone I'm missing.  They intentionally don't go after big ticket free agents, because when you do that you can't build through the draft.   

So, yes, there are holes, but not because McD are screwing up.  It's because when you build through the draft it takes time.  

53 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

They are obvious deficiencies, I agree.  But they weren't unanticipated deficiencies.   

And the deficiencies aren't the result of mistakes.  They've had about 10 picks in the first three rounds of the draft since McD arrived, six or seven since Beane.  They got White Allen Edmunds Phillips Ford Oliver Singletary, maybe someone I'm missing.  They intentionally don't go after big ticket free agents, because when you do that you can't build through the draft.   

So, yes, there are holes, but not because McD are screwing up.  It's because when you build through the draft it takes time.  

Yet, they are the result of mistakes. I believe the talent level on the current roster could have won more than 10 games with such an easy schedule in 2019. AND could have gone further in the playoffs too. The 2019 Buffalo Bills defense was of championship caliber and the offense let them down in many games. 

The buck stops with the Buffalo offensive coordinator to make things work! 

The Buffalo run game was often underutilized in most of the big games they played against strong opponents.

First New England game, Buffalo offense, 22 rushes, 44 passes.  Eagles, Bills offense 20 rushes, 34 passes. Ravens, Buffalo offense 23 rushes, 39 passes. Second Patriots game Buffalo offense 23 rushes, 26 passes. Texans playoff game, Buffalo offense 30 rushes, 48 passes. 

Go back and review each game.

Patriots game, Frank Gore 17 carries for 109 yards a 6.4 YPC avg and yet asked that inexperienced QB to throw 44 times. 

Eagles game, Devin Singletary 3 rushes for 19 yards a 6.3 YPC avg. Gore 9 carries for 34 yards a 3.8 YPC avg. Allen 34 passing attempts.

Ravens game, Singletary 17 rushes for 89 yards a 5.2 YPC avg. Gore 4 rushes for 6 yards a 1.5 YPC avg. Allen 39 passing attempts.

Patriots game, Singletary 15 rushes for 46 yards a 3.1 YPC avg. Allen 7 rushes for 43 yards a 6.1 YPC avg. Allen 26 passing attempts.

Texans game, Singletary 13 rushes for 58 yards a 4.5 YPC avg. Allen 9 carries for 92 yards a 10.2 YPC avg. Gore 8 rushes for 22 yards a 2.8 YPC avg. Allen, 46 passing attempts.

It's evident to me that had the Bills worked that run game with Singletary more often against strong opponents with top defenses they would have fared much better over asking that young, inexperienced QB to throw so often into the teeth of pass rushes. The Bills worked that run game against other opponents with great success, against Dallas 34 rushes, Pittsburgh 38 rushes. The teams the Bills had more rushes vs passes they usually won all those games. 

Yes, Josh Allen's completion percentage improved from 52.8 in 2018 to 58.8 in 2019. Allen's completion percentage could have been much, much better had he not been thrown to the wolves in those four huge games. This was all on the offensive coaching in my view. Where was the ingenuity, discipline to make that offense work, run game, passing game, red zone offense besides the QB taking it on himself to score by running it in. The offense with far, far to many penalties. 

I don't expect a pigs ear will suddenly turn into a silk purse with some upgrades to the offense, WR, RB, O line. Another old adage, a leopard can't change their spots.

Buffalo Bills OC Brian Daboll will continue to be the weak link in the offense. He has never fielded a passing offense better than 23rd and I doubt he ever will. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

You can’t ignore a position of need 3 years in a row and then, on the eve of the 4th draft announce to the world “we need to score more points”.   That’s a hole they put there. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Yet, they are the result of mistakes. I believe the talent level on the current roster could have won more than 10 games with such an easy schedule in 2019. AND could have gone further in the playoffs too. The 2019 Buffalo Bills defense was of championship caliber and the offense let them down in many games. 

The Buffalo run game was often underutilized in most of the big games they played against strong opponents.

First New England game, Buffalo offense, 22 rushes, 44 passes.  Eagles, Bills offense 20 rushes, 34 passes. Ravens, Buffalo offense 23 rushes, 39 passes. Second Patriots game Buffalo offense 23 rushes, 26 passes. Texans playoff game, Buffalo offense 30 rushes, 48 passes. 

Patriots game, Frank Gore 17 carries for 109 yards a 6.4 YPC avg and yet asked that inexperienced QB to throw 44 times. 

Eagles game, Devin Singletary 3 rushes for 19 yards a 6.3 YPC avg. Gore 9 carries for 34 yards a 3.8 YPC avg. Allen 34 passing attempts.

Ravens game, Singletary 17 rushes for 89 yards a 5.2 YPC avg. Gore 4 rushes for 6 yards a 1.5 YPC avg. Allen 39 passing attempts.

Patriots game, Singletary 15 rushes for 46 yards a 3.1 YPC avg. Allen 7 rushes for 43 yards a 6.1 YPC avg. Allen 26 passing attempts.

Texans game, Singletary 13 rushes for 58 yards a 4.5 YPC avg. Allen 9 carries for 92 yards a 10.2 YPC avg. Gore 8 rushes for 22 yards a 2.8 YPC avg. Allen, 46 passing attempts.

It's evident to me that had the Bills worked that run game with Singletary more often against strong opponents with top defenses they would have fared much better over asking that young, inexperienced QB to throw so often into the teeth of pass rushes. The Bills worked that run game against other opponents with great success, against Dallas 34 rushes, Pittsburgh 38 rushes. The teams the Bills had more rushes vs passes they usually won all those games. 

Yes, Josh Allen's completion percentage improved from 52.8 in 2018 to 58.8 in 2019. Allen's completion percentage could have been much, much better had he not been thrown to the wolves in those four huge games. This was all on the offensive coaching in my view. Where was the ingenuity, discipline to make that offense work, run game, passing game, red zone offense besides the QB taking it on himself to score by running it in. The offense with far, far to many penalties. 

I don't expect a pigs ear will suddenly turn into a silk purse with some upgrades to the offense, WR, RB, O line. Another old adage, a leopard can't change their spots.

Buffalo Bills OC Brian Daboll will continue to be the weak link in the offense. He has never fielded a passing offense better than 23rd and I doubt he ever will. 

This is really good.   It isn't responsive to the point, because I was talking about roster deficiencies, not coaching.  

I think it's a fair question about Daboll, and if he just doesn't get it, then McD is at fault.  The fact that Daboll is on board and moving forward means McDermott believes that Daboll will deliver over time. All I can do is hope McD knows what he is doing. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

It’s throwing a second year QB “to the wolves” when you ask him to pass when we’re down on the scoreboard.

Incredible stuff. You know your point falls flat on its face when you realize the Bills were 24th in the NFL in passing attempts and 6th in rushing attempts, right?

Edited by BringBackOrton

On 2/24/2020 at 7:18 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Maybe? 

In case you missed it, there were a whole host of other things that if they were better, we would have won that Playoff game.

Maybe so...but in playoffs, it is the QBs that make the difference.   If he had played like he did against Dallas, he would have won the game for us

2 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

It’s throwing a second year QB “to the wolves” when you ask him to pass when we’re down on the scoreboard.

Incredible stuff. You know your point falls flat on its face when you realize the Bills were 24th in the NFL in passing attempts and 6th in rushing attempts, right?

Really? The Bills were up 16 points against the Texans with 9:59 in the 3rd quarter and that drive ended up with a field goal. (Speaking of field goals the Bills were in the Texans red zone five times and ended up with four FGs and one TD.) Its up to the Bills OC to make the offensive run game work. 

Anyway, shouldn't the emphasis be on pounding the rock to eat the clock and play keep away from the Texans when you have the lead? Instead the OC kept calling for pass plays which caused sacks, fumbles. 

The Ravens game was a 17-24 loss and its not like the Bills were getting blown out and needed to throw to catch up. The problem in this game was that the Bills OC called for some deeps passes to negate that cover zero blitz by the Ravens and when those plays didn't connect it caused the Ravens to step up their pass rush on Allen. The Ravens went from their normal 50% blitzing to 65%-80%. This when the Bills run game with Singletary was working to the tune of 5.2 yards per carry.

The Bills OC had no answer for that ferocious Ravens blitz and just kept asking Allen to throw. Utterly moronic and the result on a very mobile QB was six sacks on Allen. The Bills receivers weren't getting separation against that Ravens defense too. 

The first Patriots game was a 10-16 loss. Another game in which the Bills get down by one score and go pass happy like they were down by 20 points. The Bills run game was working with Gore 17 rushes for 109 yards and yet the Bills ran only 22 times while throwing it 44 times. 

In all those big games there was no reason why the Bills needed to throw that much when the run game was working. Daboll did the same thing against Cleveland a 16-19 loss. Over the coarse of the season when the Bills ran the ball more than they threw it they usually won. The only game that got out of hand was the Eagles game as all the rest were close. 

And my point doesn't fall on its face when you realize that the Bills QB had 109 attempts for 510 yards, 9 TDs. Take away those QB attempts and the Bills had 356 rush attempts which puts them tied for 31st in the NFL. 

3 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Really? The Bills were up 16 points against the Texans with 9:59 in the 3rd quarter and that drive ended up with a field goal. (Speaking of field goals the Bills were in the Texans red zone five times and ended up with four FGs and one TD.) Its up to the Bills OC to make the offensive run game work. 

Anyway, shouldn't the emphasis be on pounding the rock to eat the clock and play keep away from the Texans when you have the lead? Instead the OC kept calling for pass plays which caused sacks, fumbles. 

The Ravens game was a 17-24 loss and its not like the Bills were getting blown out and needed to throw to catch up. The problem in this game was that the Bills OC called for some deeps passes to negate that cover zero blitz by the Ravens and when those plays didn't connect it caused the Ravens to step up their pass rush on Allen. The Ravens went from their normal 50% blitzing to 65%-80%. This when the Bills run game with Singletary was working to the tune of 5.2 yards per carry.

The Bills OC had no answer for that ferocious Ravens blitz and just kept asking Allen to throw. Utterly moronic and the result on a very mobile QB was six sacks on Allen. The Bills receivers weren't getting separation against that Ravens defense too. 

The first Patriots game was a 10-16 loss. Another game in which the Bills get down by one score and go pass happy like they were down by 20 points. The Bills run game was working with Gore 17 rushes for 109 yards and yet the Bills ran only 22 times while throwing it 44 times. 

In all those big games there was no reason why the Bills needed to throw that much when the run game was working. Daboll did the same thing against Cleveland a 16-19 loss. Over the coarse of the season when the Bills ran the ball more than they threw it they usually won. The only game that got out of hand was the Eagles game as all the rest were close. 

And my point doesn't fall on its face when you realize that the Bills QB had 109 attempts for 510 yards, 9 TDs. Take away those QB attempts and the Bills had 356 rush attempts which puts them tied for 31st in the NFL. 

Teams that run the ball win more is because teams run the ball more when they have a lead. Teams with a lead win more than teams who trail.

Passing plays don’t cause sacks or fumbles. Players failing to execute cause sacks and fumbles. Players making bad decisions cause sacks and fumbles.

If you take out our QB’s rushing attempts, you have to take out every other QB’s rushing attempts when comparing to the rest of the league. Or else it’s apples to orangutans. Why not just take out Singletary’s attempts too? Then we were 32nd in the NFL!

Edited by BringBackOrton

14 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Teams that run the ball win more is because teams run the ball more when they have a lead. Teams with a lead win more than teams who trail.

Passing plays don’t cause sacks or fumbles. Players failing to execute cause sacks and fumbles. Players making bad decisions cause sacks and fumbles.

If you take out our QB’s rushing attempts, you have to take out every other QB’s rushing attempts when comparing to the rest of the league. Or else it’s apples to orangutans. Why not just take out Singletary’s attempts too? Then we were 32nd in the NFL!

Your argument is laughable. Out of the ESPN list of 46 NFL teams rushers only Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, Josh Allen, Deshaun Watson are QB's. It makes no sense to take away a RBs yards when talking about the teams RB's yards for the season. You pointed out that Buffalo was 6th in rushing attempts and I pointed out that without those rushes from the QB the Bills were 31st in the NFL in rushing attempts. Meaning that the Bills OC didn't call for that many rushes by the RB's during the season. That's my point! 

I also pointed out that teams that go pass happy are usually down by more then a few points and more like down a few TDs. All those losses for the Bills were close games save the Eagles game and there was no need to give up on the run game at all in those games. Especially when Singletary was averaging 5.0 yards per carry or more. Made no sense! 

This Bills OC attempts to make Allen the focal point of the offense like he has an experienced veteran QB under center and Allen is simply not there yet. Even then, teams like the Falcons, Packers, Saints and so many others that have established franchise QB's need to have a dependable run game to lean on.

Patriots loss, 6 pts

Browns loss, 3 pts

Ravens loss, 7 pts

Patriots loss, 7 pts

Texans playoff loss, 3 pts

Against the Texans the Bills had a 3 score lead and still kept passing the ball when they clearly should have been running it.

Lastly, go back and watch that Dallas Cowboys game on Thanksgiving to see the Cowboys drove right down the field on the opening series and scored a TD. By your account the Bills should have gone pass happy because they didn't have the lead. Instead the Bills ran the ball 34 times and passed it 25 times. With the support of a good run game QB Josh Allen had the best game of his NFL career going 19 of 24 for 231 yards with a Rate of 120.7. NOW, that's my point!