Yardbarker review of Josh Allen 2019 season

CorkScrewHill

Corkscrew - you’re nailing it with you’re posts.  Agreed on the evaluation.  This is why I’m optimistic, but not necessarily convinced.  This year will tell the tale if he gets into year 3 has lots of weapons, and an even better defense against a much tougher schedule.

All in Beane’s hands now.  The only thing Allen can do is keep working on Palmers clinic like Darnold and the others.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

More important than this fair & obvious assessment, do the Bills recognize these flaws and agree? Do they have other or additional aspects of his game they want more offseason attention paid to? To Josh’s credit, he’s humble enough to know he needs to and Can improve. 

Heres an aspect the article failed to acknowledge;

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

A little good .. and a little bad with a lot of potential (which is how I feel). A very balanced take.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/every_throw_graded_an_ultimate_scouting_report_of_buffalos_josh_allen/s1_13132_31350035

I agree, good article with a fair and balanced take.  I think @LSHMEAB nailed it in an earlier post where he described a fan interaction discussing every aspect of the Bills, with QB as the totally unmentioned "Elephant in the room" - because while he's done some great stuff, he also fundamentally just needs to improve.  We don't know yet.

One place where I feel the article missed in tabbing Allen as bailing out of the pocket too soon is that a number of the Bills pass plays have a designed roll-out for designed secondary routes.  The Beasley TD in Dallas is an example of where that worked; there's a play in the Cleveland game and a play in the Ravens game (that come to mind) where this broke down due to failure in protection (linemen literally tripping on each other_.  To give credit where due, here's a post by @Reed83HOF where he links a bunch of stuff about the Mouse Davis/June Jones Run-n-Shoot concepts the Bills are incorporating.  In his "Unfair Criticism" Film Room piece, Brett Kollman also gives an example of a place where Allen appears to use a roll-out to manipulate the safety.

So sometimes Allen bails, but I actually didn't see him do that so much this year.  Sometimes it's designed - and actually, I think it would be fair to say that it's kind of both because Daboll, to his credit, must have looked at a natural tendency of Allen's and saw a way to design plays to exploit it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So sometimes Allen bails, but I actually didn't see him do that so much this year.  Sometimes it's designed - and actually, I think it would be fair to say that it's kind of both because Daboll, to his credit, must have looked at a natural tendency of Allen's and saw a way to design plays to exploit it.

I noticed as the season wore on, rolling to his right so often was better defensed and often caused him to run out of room by the sideline and throw the ball away.

Good read, thanks for posting it.

Allen has a ton of potential for sure, but at this point is just our franchise QB in training, he is not there yet. If Josh cleans up his game a fair bit, and his pass catchers stop dropping passes at crucial points in games, the Bills become a power house. Provided that FA & the draft go well this will be telling year for Josh Allen, jmo.

Go Bills!!!

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree, good article with a fair and balanced take.  I think @LSHMEAB nailed it in an earlier post where he described a fan interaction discussing every aspect of the Bills, with QB as the totally unmentioned "Elephant in the room" - because while he's done some great stuff, he also fundamentally just needs to improve.  We don't know yet.

We just don't know yet indeed. I think what we DO know, and how that relates to an anecdotal interaction, is that the offensive personnel needs to be upgraded in order to FULLY analyze the QB. Perhaps the main reason JA's name may not come up in the course of a conversation. 

Good read.

• Like (+1) 2

That was a good, balanced take. Certainly much more fair and reasonable than I would have expected from a Jets fan.

The thing that has me encouraged is that it sure SEEMS like the weaknesses in Allen’s game are correctable — and not fatal — flaws. Whether or not Allen can actually correct them remains to be seen.

I actually think the tougher schedule next year will be a good thing. I say cut him loose, take the governor off, and let him sink or swim.

Its going to be a really interesting season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On the good side of all this, he has far fewer things to work on in the coming year. He's shown the ability to repair things that needed fixing and I'm thinking he continues this in the offseason. For example, after the first NE, he worked hard on not making those stupid throws.  Sometimes, there is only so much you can work on at one time.

He had a great deal to learn about being an NFL QB in his first two years and now...not quite as much. If he keeps working on his deficiencies, e.g. hitting his long passes, the improvement will continue.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

A little good .. and a little bad with a lot of potential (which is how I feel). A very balanced take.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/every_throw_graded_an_ultimate_scouting_report_of_buffalos_josh_allen/s1_13132_31350035

I do not agree with this philosophy in grading:  "an inexcusably brutal play (awful turnovers or should-be turnovers) earned a 0".

"Should be" is very subjective - is he also grading in Allen's favor those balls which "should be" caught but defender made a good play?

I also noted that he failed to include in his grading system the hits Allen took in pocket that were not called but were on other QBs.  Because other QBs have endorsements from Tucks, is not as mobile or is not as physically gifted they should not get the calls and Allen does not - he has to play differently because he knows the referees will allow defenders more leeway.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Corkscrew - you’re nailing it with you’re posts.  Agreed on the evaluation.  This is why I’m optimistic, but not necessarily convinced.  This year will tell the tale if he gets into year 3 has lots of weapons, and an even better defense against a much tougher schedule.

All in Beane’s hands now.  The only thing Allen can do is keep working on Palmers clinic like Darnold and the others.

...thing I admire MOST about this kid is his drive and moxy to do better and his willingness to dedicate himself to do so....albeit Palmer in the off season or in season...........he's well aware of his deficiencies and knows where his work needs to be focused.......and it sure as hell isn't ME versus WE......the quote was, "this is OUR team and OUR family".....Dedication 101 IMO.....and he is already a Buffalo community man.....size, speed, agility, cannon arm, team attitude, etc.....anything better post Kelly and I'll STFU......

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Best game: Dallas

Worst game:  NE

Struggles against the blitz

Takes bad sacks

Scrambles when there are open receivers.

Big arm.

Knox drops lots of balls.

Receivers are tiny men who drop balls too

No offense to Yardbarkers, but to anyone here, there is no news in that analysis.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Best game: Dallas

Worst game:  NE

Struggles against the blitz

Takes bad sacks

Scrambles when there are open receivers.

Big arm.

Knox drops lots of balls.

Receivers are tiny men who drop balls too

No offense to Yardbarkers, but to anyone here, there is no news in that analysis.

The only positive comment is big arm. Come

on.

Impressed he recognized the talent on the offense was above-average. So many people are barking it's lack of talent, and it's not. We had an above average O-line, decent receivers, and above average running game.

I still think a lot of what we think about the offense will either be exposed with better competition or will be solidified quickly next year. There is no way you give up on a QB like Allen with talent, heart, and desire. He's still the weak point of the team but he could be our biggest strength.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BigBillsFan said:

Impressed he recognized the talent on the offense was above-average. So many people are barking it's lack of talent, and it's not. We had an above average O-line, decent receivers, and above average running game.

I still think a lot of what we think about the offense will either be exposed with better competition or will be solidified quickly next year. There is no way you give up on a QB like Allen with talent, heart, and desire. He's still the weak point of the team but he could be our biggest strength.

Well, both things can be true, you know?

”Above average” means just that.  You draw a line, and 16 teams have an OL, WR and run game that are above and we’re one of those teams.  

I would agree.  But “above average” can still mean “not talented enough to stack up against the best defenses in the league”.

That’s exactly where the Bills talent level on offense seems to be right now; we have an OL that kicks butt against lesser defenses, but can get whupped by the best D’s and also struggles with stunting blitzes.  We struggle to run between the tackles against the best DLs.  And our WR/TE are very good against zone, but struggle to beat the best man coverage quickly.

There are certainly times and plays where Allen could have done more with what we had, but we still need better talent around Allen if we’re going to be able to score more against elite defenses, or even a couple OK defenses coached by DC’s who “have our number”.