3 Bills rookies in top 44 per USA Today

CorkScrewHill

Ed Oliver was 18, Singletary 26, and Cody Ford 44. 

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/gallery/nfl-rookies-2019-rankings-nick-bosa-josh-jacobs-kyler-murray/

Building through the draft and focused free agency will be the key to getting on top and staying there. We should avoid overpriced free agents .. even if they are ours.

• Like (+1) 2

I think another two members of this draft class have a real chance to be good to great players in another year or two, Dawson Knox and Darryl Johnson.  Still early, but looks like a strong sophomore draft for Beane & Co.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 5

Ford’s natural position is at LG as Hapless educated me and thanks big guy.  I’d love to see him there, have Nsekhe there at RT, and draft one for a swing or as a rotational person.  Love the Oliver and Singletary picks.  Knox isn’t there yet with the drops, but will get there especially if we grab Hooper.

Now if we get Diggs on top of Ngokue and Hooper, plus a great draft, it’s championship time.  The crazy thing is we can afford all three extend contracts and still add 5 to even 6 picks this year.  2020 can be fun.

• Like (+1) 4

I can't believe everybody is giving up on Ford at RT

The dude was a rook and had times where he more than held his own. If you want a super clean lineman prospect they don't last till the second round

You need to develop them and it takes more than 16 games. You want a stud rookie RT out the gate? You need to draft a Lane Johnson type and they don't last till round 2

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

The dude was a rook and had times where he more than held his own. If you want a super clean lineman prospect they don't last till the second round

You need to develop them and it takes more than 16 games. You want a stud rookie RT out the gate? You need to draft a Lane Johnson type and they don't last till round 2

....but.....that is the "TBD definition of a CAREER".....

• Haha (+1) 1

The number 1 issue here is, who gives a rat's a?? about anything the USA Today says.

They put out a ranking and we listen....? Some sleazy reporters think they can compare a db to online tackle or a wide receiver and suddenly Ford's ability is questioned. 

These writers don't know how to spell schemes or consider team strengths, or coaching philosophy on development. These are same guys who kissed Josh Rosens butt. 

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Accordng to this ranknig both Oliver and Ford under performed their draft position. 

That’s is why random rankings put out by nobodies need to be ignored, as stated above this comes out from the same group of pundits that said repeatedly that Josh Rosen was the most NFL ready of his class, and that Joker Maypole was super bowl bound...evidently they were all wrong.

8 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Oliver has the chance to be very good.  Hope he adds 10-15 pounds in the off-season.  Knox may be the best of them all in the end.  

I honestly don't understand the love for a TE who can't catch. I know you said "may" but that's still a stretch. Oliver is going to be incredible and Singletary looked so damn impressive. Knox was the complete opposite. I hope he improves for our sake. Until then that's the reason I want Hooper.

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Ford rendered Von Miller almost invisible and did well at the line against TJ Watt. He has skill.

I believe Ford got even better after Nsheke was hurt and he had the chance to play the entire game in 1 position with the max amount of snaps. The part time RT experiment was a huge mistake and slowed his learning at RT in my opinion. But hey, this is Buffalo and unless our LT or RT is an NFL All-Pro fans will always yell to move them to G...

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Ford rendered Von Miller almost invisible and did well at the line against TJ Watt. He has skill.

I believe Ford got even better after Nsheke was hurt and he had the chance to play the entire game in 1 position with the max amount of snaps. The part time RT experiment was a huge mistake and slowed his learning at RT in my opinion. But hey, this is Buffalo and unless our LT or RT is an NFL All-Pro fans will always yell to move them to G...

Very true

Edited by Buffalo716

10 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

100% agree. The college game no longer allows the OT position to develop.  There are no more Orlando Pace or Joe Thomas guys in college. They need years to develop.  I'd be fine with Ford at RT. However, if they let Spain walk, then I would favor signing a veteran RT and moving Ford to LG at least for 2020. That would put the best 5 linemen on the field.

5 hours ago, Gambit said:

I honestly don't understand the love for a TE who can't catch. I know you said "may" but that's still a stretch. Oliver is going to be incredible and Singletary looked so damn impressive. Knox was the complete opposite. I hope he improves for our sake. Until then that's the reason I want Hooper.

Knox is the most physically gifted TE the Bills may have ever had. Look at his body type. He is not as big as Gronk but Gronk is a once in a lifetime player. Knox looks and plays like Ertz, Whitten, Kittle, and Kelce. He made the incredible catches and he gets separation. No doubt he has a way to go with routine cathces and he disappeared for many games.  But he has all the physical tools to be a great one.

I was never sold on Oliver but he played much better than I thought he would especially against the run. What was most impressive was how he finished the season. That is a testament to how McD used him throughout the year. I give McD crap quite a bit but he handled the Phillips and Oliver rotation superbly. Add 10-15 pounds without losing quickness and he could be great.

Singletary will be interesting to watch. Does he have the frame for 300 touches (carries and catches) in a season? Already has been injured once,  though a hamstring really doesn't mean he can't take the pounding. 

6 hours ago, Gambit said:

tony Gonzalez led the NFL in drops his 2nd year in the league..... its a trait that can be improved upon.

• Like (+1) 1