Who are your top two free agents?

Buffalo03

Ngakoue will not be an option.... Jacksonville will use the Tag. I accepted that a month ago when I was reported that was the likelihood.

Daryl Williams-  OG/OT to battle for RG RT spot. Williams played RG last year due to injuries on the line in Carolina. Most still think he’s a RT. 27 years old. Perfect to bring in and battle Ford for the RT spot. Loser moved to RG. Feliciano moves to LG.

Breshard Perriman- Another veteran WR. Size and speed guy. I’d still draft a WR round 2 or 3.

I’m going DL/OLB round 1. I can’t wait to see Zack Baun at the Combine. I’m thinking 6’3” 245, 4.6 40, 10’ broad jump, 37” very, 7.0 3 cone... I just think he’s smart, super athletic, a quick twitch. Slippery on the pass rush, solid in coverage. Former HS track kid.

• Like (+1) 2

what is  the  skinny  on shaq lawson?  i know   the  bills  didnt take  the  5th  year option .   he  seemed  to  be playing  strong  the   last half  of  the   year.  Does everyone  think   the Bills  will want to resign   Shaq?

Eric Ebron  might  be  a nice  flyer if the  price is  right .  

5 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Hooper and Ngakoue

Those are my two. Release Murphy, Kroft, and Smith, and DiMarco if Dillon in the draft can block given his size and power.  Save a ton of $ to offset these acquisitions, and draft an edge rusher, and 1-2 WR’s.  Between Hooper (mentoring Knox as well), Dillon, two WR’s, and two more WR’s, we have a much more potent team.  We’ll also know for sure with these weapons as well as serious pressure up front on defense giving short fields if Allen is really the guy.  I believe he is the guy, but fine with the skepticism from some.   With everything I just wrote,  there is no reason not to make a deep run.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

I don’t understand the love for Bulaga?  He’s gonna be what? 31 years old come next month. Up and down the last couple seasons. Not quite what he was.

Ill take Daryl Williams 27, someone we can sign to a 3-4 yr deal.

Williams is my 1b after Conklin. I know he didn't have a great year but I believe a lot of that is because of such a severe injury he had to come back from.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think we're going to get AJ Green on either of those things (1 year prove-it deal, or cheap)

We most certainly should draft another WR and I hope we don't wait until the bottom of the 3rd round.   Heck draft 2

I would love either one.  I'm concerned that the Olsen thing means Beane just isn't thinking in those terms.

We need a DE and an upgrade on OL IMO.

I disagree about the AJ Green thing. I can't see any team with Green's age and injury history giving him a huge contract or big money. He might be able to fetch a 2 year deal from some team but I don't see anything more than that. 

4 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Lots of love for Conklin but is Beane going to pay him $15M a year..?

Got the money for one or two big signings, but like you said will Beane make them and which positions. 
an oline looking like Dawkins, Ford, Morse, Feliciano, and Conklin would be pretty sweet I think

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I always differentiate between DRAFT needs vs. FA needs.  I look at the 2019 roster and look at how many players are 29+ in age in any given player category (WR, DE etc....).  I also look at previous drafts to see if any quality young players were added to shore up youth behind the older vets.  Then I make a list of DRAFT needs based on that info.

I also look at the STATS in certain categories to see where the team is weakest.  Clearly, the biggest weakness last year was PASSING YARDS (ranked 26th in the league):  mainly related to QB, OL, WR, TE.  However the sacks allowed was reasonable (but not great...), so I see the biggest need to be WR and TE, followed by OL.  Our top two WR's are 29 or older and just average ability.  WR is a huge need, but IMO it's a DRAFT NEED, not an FA need.  Contrast that with our starting OL (all are fairly young).

Here are our DRAFT NEEDS (IMHO) in order of greatest need to least need:

WR (as many as 3...)

Edge OLB - Alexander's retirement

RB

FB

DT (as many as 2)

DE (as many as 2)

Safety (as many as 2)

K

DEPTH NEEDS:

TE

OT

OG

MLB

QB

Yes, this is a lot, and there's no way we address everything in one draft.  It will depend on who falls to us in each round's bracket of players.

AS FOR THE FREE AGENCY, I look at weaknesses at position groups that are YOUNG right now (OT, OG, OC, CB).

So....  my final answer for the original post is TWO FA's from that position group (although OL is a bigger need than CB I think)...

1.  OT Anthony Castonzo or Bryan Bulaga

2.  CB Chris Harris, Logan Ryan, or Prince Amukamara

Edited by Yantha
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Yantha said:

I always differentiate between DRAFT needs vs. FA needs.  I look at the 2019 roster and look at how many players are 29+ in age in any given player category (WR, DE etc....).  I also look at previous drafts to see if any quality young players were added to shore up youth behind the older vets.  Then I make a list of DRAFT needs based on that info.

I also look at the STATS in certain categories to see where the team is weakest.  Clearly, the biggest weakness last year was PASSING YARDS (ranked 26th in the league):  mainly related to QB, OL, WR, TE.  However the sacks allowed was reasonable (but not great...), so I see the biggest need to be WR and TE, followed by OL.  Our top two WR's are 29 or older and just average ability.  WR is a huge need, but IMO it's a DRAFT NEED, not an FA need.  Contrast that with our starting OL (all are fairly young).

Here are our DRAFT NEEDS (IMHO) in order of greatest need to least need:

WR (as many as 3...)

Edge OLB - Alexander's retirement

RB

FB

DT (as many as 2)

DE (as many as 2)

Safety (as many as 2)

K

DEPTH NEEDS:

TE

OT

OG

MLB

QB

Yes, this is a lot, and there's no way we address everything in one draft.  It will depend on who falls to us in each round's bracket of players.

AS FOR THE FREE AGENCY, I look at weaknesses at position groups that are YOUNG right now (OT, OG, OC, CB).

So....  my final answer for the original post is TWO FA's from that position group...

1.  CB Byron Jones

2.  OT Jack Conklin

Others to consider:  CB James Bradberry, OG Joe Thuney, CB Trae Waynes, CB Bradley Roby, OG Graham Glasgow

Not sure I agree with CB as #1 for FA .. but GREAT 1st Post ... fact driven ... Welcome to the Board

Thanks WRR!

I do see OL as the biggest FA need for sure.  Our passing D was not bad, and even if we left CB alone, we'd be okay I think.  However, upgrading a nice tandem for White OR adding a better Nickel would bring out CB group from good to "Superbowl Good" (which is what we all want right?  :).    )

I've been playing around on fanspeak.com lately and there are quality WR pickups right into the 4th round, so I'm hoping to add some youth to our WR group as early as round 1.  Some targets in each round (likely to change after the combine):

Brackets:

Round 1:  Tee Higgins Clemson, or Justin Jefferson LSU, and Ceedee Lamb sometimes slips.  However, if we go RB, DL, Edge in round one there's plenty of talent in later rounds, which is why I say we shouldn't PAY for a veteran WR in the FREE AGENCY this year, especially for an injury prone older WR. 

Round 2:  I like Michael Pittman Jr. USC as a potential target in round 2, and in some simulations he slips to the 3rd round.

Round 3:  I'm looking into WR Lynn Bowden from Kentucky, but I need to see him at the combine.

Round 4:  I like the two Texas WR's Devin Duvernay, and  Collin Johnson, as well as well as Quartney Davis from Texas A&M.

13 hours ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Ngakoue will not be an option.... Jacksonville will use the Tag. I accepted that a month ago when I was reported that was the likelihood.

Daryl Williams-  OG/OT to battle for RG RT spot. Williams played RG last year due to injuries on the line in Carolina. Most still think he’s a RT. 27 years old. Perfect to bring in and battle Ford for the RT spot. Loser moved to RG. Feliciano moves to LG.

Breshard Perriman- Another veteran WR. Size and speed guy. I’d still draft a WR round 2 or 3.

I’m going DL/OLB round 1. I can’t wait to see Zack Baun at the Combine. I’m thinking 6’3” 245, 4.6 40, 10’ broad jump, 37” very, 7.0 3 cone... I just think he’s smart, super athletic, a quick twitch. Slippery on the pass rush, solid in coverage. Former HS track kid.

I've seen several posts mention Perriman, but I don't understand the interest.  He is a high draft choice bust who had a few good games late last year.  I think he is more likely fool's gold than someone who suddenly broke through to good play.

Baun may be good, but how would he fit in Bills' D.  If he is 245 at the combine, it seems unlikely that he could maintain that in the NFL give what he played at in college - and even if he does, that is very light for a NFL DE.  If you are thinking LB, I think the team has much bigger needs.

18 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

AJ Green is old and wasted at this point

...and shockingly, Cincy has floated the idea of tagging him.....get the paddles ready for Mike Brown......projected 2020 WR tag is $18.077 mil......so with him probably healthy for 8 games, he gets $9.03 mil in "vacation money"..............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy