Why 17 games is a bad idea

stuvian

8 hours ago, akcash said:

(Not arguing) how come?

Let's look ta possible sites...London,  Berlin,  Mexico City and Toronto are possibly the 4 international sites that the NFL is looking at (and where players will probably agree to play).  How do you break up the 17th game schedule among those four cities...since we have 32 teams having to play week 17...that is 4 games in each city...I don't think the NFL owners will want to gve up that many games to a neutral site.

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

Let's look ta possible sites...London,  Berlin,  Mexico City and Toronto are possibly the 4 international sites that the NFL is looking at (and where players will probably agree to play).  How do you break up the 17th game schedule among those four cities...since we have 32 teams having to play week 17...that is 4 games in each city...I don't think the NFL owners will want to gve up that many games to a neutral site.

They do... They share revenue.

8 minutes ago, ganesh said:

yeah..but now they have to share that revenue not just with 32 owners, but with 4 sites who are hosting 4 games each. 

They make more money off of one international game then they would with a home game. The NFL knows what it's doing don't worry about the money they make.

TBH the owners already have this worked out so it is a non issue 

Edited by Hardhatharry

8 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

They are getting concessions from the league that they have been trying to get for a long time.  My point wad a lack of concern on the part of the owner's, not the players.   And I do believe the players are concerned with the CT issue. 

Then why do they keep hitting eachother in the head?

Again, the players have been negotiating the new CBA with 17 games for 9 months.  Too late to pretend it’s a “min-starter”.

On 2/22/2020 at 1:43 PM, SC BIlls Fan said:

With 17 games they will cut one of the preseason games. So it works out the same as a regular season.

that's not an even trade off....most vets rarely play in preseason. Can't compare a preseason game to regular season

Edited by nucci

1 hour ago, nucci said:

that's not an even trade off....most vets rarely play in preseason. Can't compare a preseason game to regular season

They do play in playoff games though. When's the last time you saw a whole playoff team just blow up with injuries because they played that 17th game? Sure another game does mean more risk, but isn't a dooms day change that some are trying to make it out to be. 

4 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

They do play in playoff games though. When's the last time you saw a whole playoff team just blow up with injuries because they played that 17th game? Sure another game does mean more risk, but isn't a dooms day change that some are trying to make it out to be. 

that wasn't my point...dropping a preseason game for a regular season game is not an even trade

On 2/22/2020 at 1:35 PM, Steptide said:

I'm fine with 17 games. Actually I've said it shoukd be 17 vs 18. I'd like to see the NFL let teams activate their entire rosters though. Let more guys play and take some stress off the key guys 

Yeah, especially because McDermott can't get away from his formula when it comes to game day activations.  He botches that too many times.  Make 'em all active so he has one less thing to worry about.

On 2/24/2020 at 1:35 AM, Mountain Man said:

There is easily enough. 

4 to 6 in London 

1 or 3 in Mexico City

1 to 3 in Germany (which actually had far higher attendances and team numbers than the UK in the NFL Europe days) 

1 to 3 in China. 

1 each in Spain and Netherlands who both sustained NFL Europe teams.

1 in Brazil and one of the Oceania cities like Sydney

Plus Canada if they want to go that route again

All of the above have history with links / rumours 

Plus they would put single games in new markets to test them. 

And that even discounts Dublin which seems to be going down the College football route

They'd easily find the locations 

They said it would be against the other conference.  In year 1 the AFC hosts the extra game, in year 2 the NFC hosts the extra game.  Would be rotating based on divisional finish, excluding the division that you are already playing.  So the idea is to continue to increase parity by forcing the best teams to play another hard game.  Makes getting that single first round bye a bit harder for an NFC team if you now have to play say, the AFC east, and you finished first so you have to play the chiefs too.

Edited by dneveu

On 2/22/2020 at 1:44 PM, Limeaid said:

This is exaggeration and my debate instructor taught me exaggeration is used when the argument is weak.

There is reason for inactive players.  Players are those who will take time to develop.  In addition this allows teams to carry injured players who will not go on IR.  In old days teams used to cut those players so they could fill slot;  they still do with injury settlements but this way the player can heal and play again for team.

Reports state they will be increasing roster size and practice squad size. We will need to wait to see if true.

Your debate instructor must have been hot if you're still quoting her. Did anything go on after school that is material for a "would ya?" Teacher thread? 

On 2/22/2020 at 5:03 PM, Zerovoltz said:

@Aussie Joe hit on it already....the Patriots have played ALOT of extra games over the last 2 decades...they are fine. 

I want to touch on "player safety"  .....I call BS on that.  If the concern here was for the safety of players, then you have them play ZERO games of pro football.  It's a rough, dangerous, phyiscaly game that exacts a toll on the player.  Everyone knows that going into the deal.  No one is forcing anyone to play football, and if you agree to go out and play the game, there is X number of dollars that you'll be paid.  Just about everyone who is capable of playing pro football, make the choice to accept the possible consequences.  That's not to say effort shouldn't be made to find better helmets or consider different ways to do things....but "player safety" is just a negotiating term.  Football by it's nature is unsafe...they are negotiating to play an unsafe game.  It's really.....the NFL wants to add a 17th game, wich will make them more money...and in excahnge for the players agreeing to it...we'll ease up marijana testing, and share more of the pie.  That's what it comes down to......player safety?  whatever.

Third....I mentioned here a long time ago when it came up....and the media has said so...and it's been said in this thread as well.....the 17th Game would be a non division game at a nuetral site.  Most correctly point out that it really allows for more international games....but I think the idea of nuetral site is brilliant on the part of the NFL.  As it has gotten more difficult to get people to pay for expensive tickets at stadiums when you can stay home.....especially if your team sucks.....then have a game at a big college stadium....it would sell out due to the novelty of it....and in alot of places, fans that have a hard time making the trek, might go if it's closer to home....

Examples....and you could do a ton of these before you ran out combos and places to play

Denver VS Seattle, Boise Idaho.

Cleveland VS Detroit, Ann Arbor Michigan.

Chicago VS Indianapolis from South Bend.

Kansas City VS. Minneapolis from Lincoln, NE

Dallas VS Chargers from Albequeque

New Orleans VS Miami from Tuscaloosa

Buffalo VS NY Giants ....(you guys tell me...Carrier Dome, West Point...Yankee Stadium....IDK!)

Philly VS Pitt from Happy Valley

Redskins VS Baltimore from Blacksburg, VA

Tampa VS Tennesee from Athens, GA

San Francisco VS Cincy from Tokyo

Houston VS LA Rams from Salt Lake City

Or, as a KC fan....just these possibilities alone are interesting

KC Vs Chicago in St. Louis

KC Vs Dallas from Fayetteville, AR

KC Vs Minnesota in Iowa City, IA

And so many others. 

You rotate these around all over the place.....you tell me that a game between KC and Dallas in Fayettevill wouldn't sell out or be a big draw in TV?  It's like printing money.....and staying engaged with out of town fans.

And...Buffalo...I don't know the area....but as far as regional fan engagement....what would you do?  Toronto?  Montreal?  Syracuse?  Erie?  I am sure there are places Bills fans would travel to or who live in the area and would go to a game every other year or 2 or 3. 

Those aren't bad suggestions but you need an enhanced license or passport to cross the boarder.. Toronto is doable distance but I still don't even have what I mentioned so I wouldn't be going 

As for Montreal, wayyyyy too far. Carrier Dome , Penn State would probably be most sensible option for neutral site game

On 2/23/2020 at 6:04 PM, SydneyBillsFan said:

I disagree with this assessment on the wear and tear of playing 16 regular season games in the NFL.

For instance, the Australian rugby league competition (NRL) has a 22 game regular season and it is arguably more brutal given there are no time outs, 2 x 40 minute halves, defensive players are making an average of 35 tackles per game and, most notably - there are no pads or helmets.

The key, I think, is good rest and recovery - both between games and in the off season, as well as top notch medical staff and physios. The use of hydrotherapy is a key part of recovery, typically on the Monday morning after the game.

I for one think an 18 game regular season is optimal for the NFL, with a 2 game pre season. The off season is way too long and is only broken up by the draft. The extra 2 regular season games would provide a strong financial injection so as long as the players get their fair share of the financial pie I couldn't see them objecting.

Just my two cents.

That is actually what makes it safer. The techniques they use have been refined for that

Football players technique has gone to hell in the last 20-25 years because they have so much equipment

So people hit with their head and snap necks, they hit with the crown of their helmet and get concussions.. they fly like a missile into people's knees and ankles

The false protection has always made football players very reckless and unsafe

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/22/2020 at 12:30 PM, stuvian said:

As the NFL continues to tamper with its golden goose to the point of the game becoming unrecognizable I offer my opposition to its latest attempt at milking the cash cow dry.

The human body was not made for the pounding the game inflicts on its players. We already have a 30 percent rate of permanent disability among retired players. One more game will mean that none but punters and kickers will play a full season. This will weaken fan's relationships with stars and starters as the game evolves toward a platoon of unknowns. But the money you say?  One more game cheque won't matter if you're going to spend it all on painkillers and physio. We already have players retiring earlier now that CTE risks are in the public domain.

Where in the current schedule is the league going to insert the additional game?  After Christmas when home games in cold climates are a tougher sell?  Before labour day when the south is either unbearably hot or in hurricane season? How many more tweets of empty seats do we need to see before we understand that we have an oversupply? 

What makes the NFL great is that fewer games make each one meaningful. Watering down the product will make it indistinguishable from upstarts like the XFL. 

So basically every team now plays what all the teams playing in the wc week...meh 

Show me data teams that continually play in the playoffs have more injuries

• 1 year later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.