Why 17 games is a bad idea

stuvian

36 minutes ago, SoTier said:

If we, as a species, didn't embrace change, we'd still be wandering naked in the warmer parts of the world, hiding from all the carnivores big enough to eat us, and grubbing/scavenging for whatever we could find to eat.  Where do you think change should have stopped?  With the use of fire?  With the domestication of the wolf?  With learning to cultivate crops?  With the invention of writing?    Where do you draw the line where you oppose more changes?   Every change brings positives and negatives, but generally, those changes make things "good" for things better in the long run.

That's a generalization that's totally unsupported by any facts.   Why do you think that just because a player makes big $$$ that he would opposed to sharing the largess from the NFL's pot of gold with his teammates?    NFL teams stress being "a band of brothers" rather than individuals, so it's more likely that opposition to a 17th game would stem from individual perspectives not from a general divide between the elite and the rest of the players.

FTR, since the "union leadership" is answerable through elections to the rank-and-file, why would they favor the relatively few players making huge salaries to the detriment of the majority?  If the NFLPA leadership opposes the new CBA, it's because it's not giving the rank and file good enough salary, health insurance, and retirement benefits.  

What the hell strawman are you prattling on about? I made no argument about what you’re writing.

I DID directly respond to a post about the player’s union having to vote on a 17th game. I’d also respond to what you think is unsupported by facts, which is generally (and I used that term) true and can be seen throughout the tenets of the NFLPA’s own prior contract preferences. This isn’t the place for that argument, though.

Don’t create strawman arguments. It’s intellectually dishonest. 

Edited by eanyills

8 hours ago, eanyills said:

It’s not like the NFL can just add a 17th game against the wishes of the NFLPA. The player’s union has to sign off on it. Now, union leadership is generally weighted towards the most tenured/powerful members and maybe that leadership has the persuasive clout to tell its members, “***** you, we are/aren’t playing a 17th game” but the majority still has to vote in favor of playing an extra game to get it done.

I expect it will pass, because the majority of members are lower wage/shorter playing career guys who will benefit from an extra game check. That will be the players choosing to have “player safety take a back seat.”

I agree to a point, but if the league was truly concerned about player safety, a 17th game would not even have been proposed. 

17 hours ago, djp14150 said:

Yet the team has played international sites

they could make that extra game an international site or neutral site

8 games inUK 

2 in germany

3 in mexico

2  in Canada 

2 in australia/Asia ... in November a game could be played at noon on Sunday locally and air at 8pm ET on Saturday night.  Thus could doa Monday night air game from there . Can do the late Monday night game or late ngoni Saturday game from China.

I want to see games in Moscow, North Korea and Saudi Arabia.

The patriots vs the Cowboys in North Korea is especially appealing as is the beautiful blue turf of Boise St.

We've already tried Toronto and that failed

I think 17 games is unnecessary.  Its going to diminish all the records established at 16 games.  I get 16 games did the same to the record books when it was shorter seasons too, but that was the early years of the league.  Its been 16 games so long, whats the point of adding a 17th game other than a cash grab?  How does it make the league a better product?  

Looking at the seriousness of CTE cases, including looking at a guy like Reed in Washington who has been in concussion protocol for over 6 months and missed a whole season from it, adding more regular season games seems like a bad move.  

If they want more games, expand the playoffs to include enough teams to do one more round of the playoffs.  Have a week where 2 teams from each conference play each other to make the playoffs as the last seed.  Why subject the whole league to an unnecessary 17th regular season game?  

As a fan, I am all good watching a 17th game...but removing my selfish biased to watch more football, I think a 17th game brings nothing of value to the league other than more money to an already immensely rich and successful league that doesn't need the money.  It puts players at further risk...adds one more reg season game to get hurt in before the playoffs...and it skews the record books.  

I would pass on this and focus on getting more teams in the playoffs and one more playoff round where 4 teams play for the final 2 spots of the playoffs.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Steve O said:

So you're saying Whaley was right

“Most successful quarterbacks have that ‘it’ factor. (Manuel) has that ‘it’ factor,” Whaley said. “When he walks into a room, there’s a presence and people take notice. He’s going to be the face of our franchise, and it’s not too big for him.”

3 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

I agree to a point, but if the league was truly concerned about player safety, a 17th game would not even have been proposed. 

If the players were truly concerned, they wouldn't have even been bargaining with it.

Pure strategery:  Play 1s for conference games, and others for non conference.  Also, change tiebreakers to minimize non conference games.  Also, give more weight for points scored in conference games.  I can’t do all the thinking.  Got ideas?

21 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

Pure strategery:  Play 1s for conference games, and others for non conference.  Also, change tiebreakers to minimize non conference games.  Also, give more weight for points scored in conference games.  I can’t do all the thinking.  Got ideas?

Every team will want to join the AFCE...

On 2/23/2020 at 5:30 AM, stuvian said:

As the NFL continues to tamper with its golden goose to the point of the game becoming unrecognizable I offer my opposition to its latest attempt at milking the cash cow dry.

The human body was not made for the pounding the game inflicts on its players. We already have a 30 percent rate of permanent disability among retired players. One more game will mean that none but punters and kickers will play a full season. This will weaken fan's relationships with stars and starters as the game evolves toward a platoon of unknowns. But the money you say?  One more game cheque won't matter if you're going to spend it all on painkillers and physio. We already have players retiring earlier now that CTE risks are in the public domain.

Where in the current schedule is the league going to insert the additional game?  After Christmas when home games in cold climates are a tougher sell?  Before labour day when the south is either unbearably hot or in hurricane season? How many more tweets of empty seats do we need to see before we understand that we have an oversupply? 

What makes the NFL great is that fewer games make each one meaningful. Watering down the product will make it indistinguishable from upstarts like the XFL. 

I disagree with this assessment on the wear and tear of playing 16 regular season games in the NFL.

For instance, the Australian rugby league competition (NRL) has a 22 game regular season and it is arguably more brutal given there are no time outs, 2 x 40 minute halves, defensive players are making an average of 35 tackles per game and, most notably - there are no pads or helmets.

The key, I think, is good rest and recovery - both between games and in the off season, as well as top notch medical staff and physios. The use of hydrotherapy is a key part of recovery, typically on the Monday morning after the game.

I for one think an 18 game regular season is optimal for the NFL, with a 2 game pre season. The off season is way too long and is only broken up by the draft. The extra 2 regular season games would provide a strong financial injection so as long as the players get their fair share of the financial pie I couldn't see them objecting.

Just my two cents.

I believe along with the mention of a extra game there was also mention made of expanding the rosters to compensate for injuries that may happen & the players being as greedy as the owners say as long as your gonna pay me MO MONEY i'm in !!

The extra game per season i think might be to bolster games out of the country that way each team that does play a game out side the US won't be getting screwed by having to give up a game & the season ticket holders can have a full 8 home game schedule again .

As long as the owners get a bigger slice of TV revenues & the players get their slice it's gonna happen I'm not for it but it just facts money rules !! 

On 2/23/2020 at 12:55 AM, Mountain Man said:

It's going to be an international round within 5 years. They won't admit it, but that's the reason. 

It would be hard for all 32 teams to play an international game.  there are not enough locations.

2 hours ago, akcash said:

Make it 18... mandatory rest each player 2 games per season. Cut out 2 preseason games... This is my suggestion with about 0 thought.

will never work.

I think the league needs to do something about parody first and foremost. It’s a big problem that roughly half the league hasn’t made the playoffs in the last five years (12 teams go per year). 

There are teams like the Bills who haven’t hosted a playoff game since the 90s! That’s a lot of lost revenue when you compare it to other teams. 

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

“Most successful quarterbacks have that ‘it’ factor. (Manuel) has that ‘it’ factor,” Whaley said. “When he walks into a room, there’s a presence and people take notice. He’s going to be the face of our franchise, and it’s not too big for him.”

If the players were truly concerned, they wouldn't have even been bargaining with it.

They are getting concessions from the league that they have been trying to get for a long time.  My point wad a lack of concern on the part of the owner's, not the players.   And I do believe the players are concerned with the CT issue. 

On 2/22/2020 at 1:30 PM, stuvian said:

Where in the current schedule is the league going to insert the additional game?  After Christmas when home games in cold climates are a tougher sell?  Before labour day when the south is either unbearably hot or in hurricane season? How many more tweets of empty seats do we need to see before we understand that we have an oversupply?

One less preseason game.  The fourth one has become quite meaningless.

4 hours ago, ganesh said:

It would be hard for all 32 teams to play an international game.  there are not enough locations.

There is easily enough. 

4 to 6 in London 

1 or 3 in Mexico City

1 to 3 in Germany (which actually had far higher attendances and team numbers than the UK in the NFL Europe days) 

1 to 3 in China. 

1 each in Spain and Netherlands who both sustained NFL Europe teams.

1 in Brazil and one of the Oceania cities like Sydney

Plus Canada if they want to go that route again

All of the above have history with links / rumours 

Plus they would put single games in new markets to test them. 

And that even discounts Dublin which seems to be going down the College football route

They'd easily find the locations 

Edited by Mountain Man

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.