Why 17 games is a bad idea

stuvian

As the NFL continues to tamper with its golden goose to the point of the game becoming unrecognizable I offer my opposition to its latest attempt at milking the cash cow dry.

The human body was not made for the pounding the game inflicts on its players. We already have a 30 percent rate of permanent disability among retired players. One more game will mean that none but punters and kickers will play a full season. This will weaken fan's relationships with stars and starters as the game evolves toward a platoon of unknowns. But the money you say?  One more game cheque won't matter if you're going to spend it all on painkillers and physio. We already have players retiring earlier now that CTE risks are in the public domain.

Where in the current schedule is the league going to insert the additional game?  After Christmas when home games in cold climates are a tougher sell?  Before labour day when the south is either unbearably hot or in hurricane season? How many more tweets of empty seats do we need to see before we understand that we have an oversupply? 

What makes the NFL great is that fewer games make each one meaningful. Watering down the product will make it indistinguishable from upstarts like the XFL. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, stuvian said:

As the NFL continues to tamper with its golden goose to the point of the game becoming unrecognizable I offer my opposition to its latest attempt at milking the cash cow dry.

The human body was not made for the pounding the game inflicts on its players. We already have a 30 percent rate of permanent disability among retired players. One more game will mean that none but punters and kickers will play a full season. This will weaken fan's relationships with stars and starters as the game evolves toward a platoon of unknowns. But the money you say?  One more game cheque won't matter if you're going to spend it all on painkillers and physio. We already have players retiring earlier now that CTE risks are in the public domain.

Where in the current schedule is the league going to insert the additional game?  After Christmas when home games in cold climates are a tougher sell?  Before labour day when the south is either unbearably hot or in hurricane season? How many more tweets of empty seats do we need to see before we understand that we have an oversupply? 

What makes the NFL great is that fewer games make each one meaningful. Watering down the product will make it indistinguishable from upstarts like the XFL. 

I agree but we seem to be in the minority here.  Maybe someone would do a poll.  I haven't seen one.

12 minutes ago, stuvian said:

One more game will mean that none but punters and kickers will play a full season.

This is exaggeration and my debate instructor taught me exaggeration is used when the argument is weak.

9 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I'm fine with 17 games. Actually I've said it should be 17 vs 18. I'd like to see the NFL let teams activate their entire rosters though. Let more guys play and take some stress off the key guys 

There is reason for inactive players.  Players are those who will take time to develop.  In addition this allows teams to carry injured players who will not go on IR.  In old days teams used to cut those players so they could fill slot;  they still do with injury settlements but this way the player can heal and play again for team.

Reports state they will be increasing roster size and practice squad size. We will need to wait to see if true.

• Like (+1) 1

The 17th game for once and for all which has been said in every outlet out there is a neutral site to expand the brand.  It’s on every media outlet, newspaper, blog, etc.

The 3 games is a negotiating ploy for ore-season, as it will settle on two games, and the dress squad will go to 53-55.  There might be a second bye, and it has been proven over the last decade a 3 RD wildcard in each conference means mostly 10-6, and 9-7 teams with the worst 8-8.  Not teams with a losing record.

The only way to do it is 4 competitive practices as was presented, and a ton of concessions for players including marijuana, medical benefits for veterans and so on.  If they phase in the 17 th game to 2022, it allows players to negotiate new contracts with a 17 th game involved.  Also, the new contracts for tv and streaming and increasing the share for players from 47% to 48.5% with a substantial increase for over half the players on the minimum gaining a minimum of $93k and overall a 25% increase which is the horrible disparity in the league.  Of course the 30+ players who are in the top 10 in every team only get a 4.5% increase, and they are motivated given their repeated injuries to not want this one, but the rank and file improve their situation tremendously.

If you had an increased practice squad, 55 active on game day, and the majority of players getting an upwards of 25-50% increase in their base pay just makes the sense.  These guys avg. four years or less.  The Mahomes, Sherman’s of the world are not going to hurt over this deal.  They could start at Labor Day, and finish on Presidents’ Day so people have off on Monday after the SB.  

The league has international games, increases the revenue, for ALL, including 48.5% to players, and they all win.  This is going to happen so wrap you’re arms around it.  It’s not going away.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

My first reaction to a 17th game is that we see the real lack of concern by the NFL for player safety.  The NFL implemented the concussion protocol and modified rules to reduce injuries due to social pressure.  When there is potential to increase revenue, player safety takes a back seat every time.

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

All things evolve and change guys... even the NFL..

Its going to be ok...

some see the danger inherent in a change but most go along thinking all change is good

and when the obvious problem shows up inevitably the all-change-is -good people don’t bother to care at all and look to cheer the next dangerous change

but you can leave that team, think a little bit...

Just now, row_33 said:

some see the danger inherent in a change but most go along thinking all change is good

and when the obvious problem shows up inevitably the all-change-is -good people don’t bother to care at all and look to cheer the next dangerous change

I’m good thanks..

I think 17 game season will be fine..

17 games and I'd be fine with getting rid of all the preseason games.  They are useless and if I was a player I'd be more pissed about putting myself at risk in a preseason game than a real one. 

College has no preseason and they are fine. Yes many teams play cupcakes to start the season but there are still great games from day one like Auburn Oregon last year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

It's not a bad thing 

30 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I guess someone said this when they went from 14-16 also... And the world didn't implode.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

17 games and I'd be fine with getting rid of all the preseason games.  They are useless and if I was a player I'd be more pissed about putting myself at risk in a preseason game than a real one. 

College has no preseason and they are fine. Yes many teams play cupcakes to start the season but there are still great games from day one like Auburn Oregon last year.

I don’t think they will get rid of the preseason completely but will shorten it to two weeks..

2 preason games, 17 games and 2 byes and the season is the same length as it has always been..

• Like (+1) 2

GREED its what’s for dinner..., all over America...

• Like (+1) 1

Well of course the injury/wear and tear on the body aspect of this is a major concern and one of the main negotiation points the NFLPA is going to care about.

Think about it, though.  You'd have to play a 16 year career to have this extra game extend your career by 1 season, if you see what I mean.  The added wear and tear is arguably not as great as you would guess, especially if it is extrapolated over the average very short NFL career or what? 4 years?  Less now?

And if we are concerned with unnecessary wear and tear on these guys' bodies, eliminate IN ITS ENTIRETY the pre-season, where plenty of guys get seriously injured...for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.