Buffalo Bills going to let DT Jordan Phillips test free agency, per report

HOUSE

10 minutes ago, nikuman said:

I forgot all about that....so yeah, this probably is about his asking price.  Although I'd prefer that he stayed, someone will probably pay him too much.  Will be interesting to see what he does on a team that doesn't have as strong a supporting cast as Buffalo does.

He should read Albert Haynesworth "Letter to my Younger Self" from the Player's Tribune.  I'm not saying McDermott is the defensive mastermind he describes Jim Schwartz to be, but the cautionary tale of moving to another system for more $$ and finding out that it's just not fun anymore could apply.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

There is still a chance he doesn't get what he's hoping for and returns to Buffalo on a smaller deal?  It's not unheard of.

Been saying this all along. The guy had 5.5 sacks in 5 FULL SEASONS in the NFL prior to 2019. Team's are going to be EXTREMELY skeptical of that type of one year jump. He'll get paid, but he won't get anything close to some of the figures I've seen mentioned.

I think there's a strong chance he's back at a reasonable rate if he wants to remain with the team.

Shaq is the opposite. His career trajectory and position will lead some team to view him as a rising STUD. I think this view is false. Nice player. Not a guy you shell out huge dollars for. But some team will(IMO).

6 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

He’s been great for us! Loves playing with the Bills and a big playmaker from the day he signed. These type of players are hard to find.

He has been great. A wonderful signing but we already invested heavily in Star , a 1st rounder on Ed and get our 3rd rounder, Dirty Harry back next year.  I don't think it's wise to invest heavily in Phillips. Especially with Oliver, who I predict will become an ALL PRO within a couple years. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

He has been great. A wonderful signing but we already invested heavily in Star , a 1st rounder on Ed and get our 3rd rounder, Dirty Harry back next year.  I don't think it's wise to invest heavily in Phillips. Especially with Oliver, who I predict will become an ALL PRO within a couple years. 

I like Harry but has he proven to be noticeably better than Phillips the last 2 seasons? I don't think so personally. Harry's advantage is youth and a rookie contract. 

I understand the decision either way but I’m hoping he makes it back to Buffalo. I enjoy his energy and he is an easy guy to cheer for. He is like a cheerleader out there always feeding the crowd. 

I don’t cheer for many guys after they leave the Bills. I will for Jordan unless he is playing us. 

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/nfl-free-agent-jordan-phillips-buffalo-bills-2020

his season was an outlier, and it makes me wonder if it is scheme- related. Which would be ok if he stayed with the Bills, but again the value needs to match and I think Beane believes he can replace him. His sack to pressure ratio is likely unsustainable. 

This is exactly right. Like to have him back. He's a great fit, but not at the money he thinks he deserves and undoubtedly some team will pay him. Star, Harrison and Oliver will be fine. Use the $ for an edge.

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

I like Harry but has he proven to be noticeably better than Phillips the last 2 seasons? I don't think so personally. Harry's advantage is youth and a rookie contract. 

This is a bit confusing, and not jus because Horrible Harry is also Phillips (Harrison Phillips)

Horrible Harry has been rotating with Star Lotulelei, so not sure why the question about comparing him to Phillips?   Before his injury his snap count was rising and Lotulelei falling 

Jordan Phillips and Ed Oliver would probably be the pair to compare

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is a bit confusing, and not jus because Horrible Harry is also Phillips (Harrison Phillips)

Horrible Harry has been rotating with Star Lotulelei, so not sure why the question about comparing him to Phillips?   Before his injury his snap count was rising and Lotulelei falling 

Jordan Phillips and Ed Oliver would probably be the pair to compare

True,  but I keep reading here is that Jordan Phillips isn't going to be persued as a priority FA because we have Harrison Phillips coming back and Oliver progressing at the position. Personally I'd love to retain Jordan but he might've played himself out of Buffalos price range, for him in particular. And if we're comparing Ed Oliver and J. Phillips? Ed also has youth and a rookie contract. Doesn't bode well for us retaining Jordan unless he bombs in FA.

9 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

True,  but I keep reading here is that Jordan Phillips isn't going to be persued as a priority FA because we have Harrison Phillips coming back and Oliver progressing at the position. Personally I'd love to retain Jordan but he might've played himself out of Buffalos price range, for him in particular. And if we're comparing Ed Oliver and J. Phillips? Ed also has youth and a rookie contract. Doesn't bode well for us retaining Jordan unless he bombs in FA.

The point is that the Bills have talent at DT and it's a buyer's market there in FA and thus they don't need to overspend to keep Phillips.  Phillips is no doubt trying to cash-in on his 1 dominating season out of 5 and looking for franchise DT money.  He'll find out in FA that he won't get near that amount.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Doc said:

The point is that the Bills have talent at DT and it's a buyer's market there in FA and thus they don't need to overspend to keep Phillips.  Phillips is no doubt trying to cash-in on his 1 dominating season out of 5 and looking for franchise DT money.  He'll find out in FA that he won't get near that amount.

His claim that he deserves "top 3" money was, in retrospect, a poor decision entering the FA market...

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

His claim that he deserves "top 3" money was, in retrospect, a poor decision entering the FA market...

It just might have been.  It all depends on whether there is at least one team enamored with his 9.5 sacks and willing to pay him a ton, in which case the "top-3" is the ceiling to work down from.  If there isn't a least 1 team hot for his services, he's probably scared-off a lot of teams.   

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that he/his agent know about the interest for his services and that's why he made the comment.  But it will be interesting to see what he's ultimately offered.

Just now, Doc said:

It just might have been.  It all depends on whether there is at least one team enamored with his 9.5 sacks and willing to pay him a ton, in which case the "top-3" is the ceiling to work down from.  If there isn't a least 1 team hot for his services, he's probably scared-off a lot of teams.   

Most teams will use film, not stats, to determine a large contract to be doled our in FA but there’s always the Jets 

• Haha (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

COMP PICK! :w00t:

Maybe? :mellow:

Good point.

Another possible future aspect to keep in mind is the crucible that is our upcoming schedule, both in quality of opponents as we know them today and a grueling travel schedule. Even if we wrestle the Division title away from NE*, it’s still likely we won’t be a 10 win team again, thus putting us in an earlier Draft position in ‘21. Should JP’s loss become a real issue, there’s that. Especially if we adequately address the known deficiencies this year from last.

20 minutes ago, Doc said:

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that he/his agent know about the interest for his services and that's why he made the comment.  But it will be interesting to see what he's ultimately offered.

It's bluster.  Both know no one is interested in paying him that much.  That plus the fact that the Bills would let him walk lets other bidders know they don't have to come close to top 3 money to sign him.

15 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Good point.

Another possible future aspect to keep in mind is the crucible that is our upcoming schedule, both in quality of opponents as we know them today and a grueling travel schedule. Even if we wrestle the Division title away from NE*, it’s still likely we won’t be a 10 win team again, thus putting us in an earlier Draft position in ‘21. Should JP’s loss become a real issue, there’s that. Especially if we adequately address the known deficiencies this year from last.

....fair assessment.......too early though to panic about SOS......far too many variables/unknowns in the road ahead.......would be interesting for a TBD Stat Rat to do a comparative analysis of 2019 SOS versus end result....the grueling travel schedule though has ZERO variables....the JP "find and performance" was mutually beneficial.....I'd say the same for Richie's tenure....letting him test FA isn't much of a surprise...seems like Beane prioritizes re-signing his "home grown talent" first......if I remember correctly, didn't OBD let Hughes test FA?.....and if that is correct, he returned to the "fold" for somewhat of a "hometown discount"...

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

I mean we spend a top 9 draft pick on Oliver and a 3rd rounder on Harrison Phillips, those 2 are the future here I'd assume. It would have been nice to re-sign Phillips but he out played the price tag we were willing to pay at a position we already invested in. Hopefully the combo of Phillips and Oliver are as good as the combo this past year. 

19 hours ago, GG said:

There should be no bad blood between the two sides.  He'll earn way more than Bills are willing or should pay given his role.  But he got the shot at the big contract because Bills scheme maximized his strength (and at times masked his biggest weakness)

This is where I'm at on the topic too. Love me some J Phillips, but not going to be dad if he leaves

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.