Buffalo Bills going to let DT Jordan Phillips test free agency, per report

Bogie_Klinkhammer

There should be no bad blood between the two sides.  He'll earn way more than Bills are willing or should pay given his role.  But he got the shot at the big contract because Bills scheme maximized his strength (and at times masked his biggest weakness)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, GG said:

There should be no bad blood between the two sides.  He'll earn way more than Bills are willing or should pay given his role.  But he got the shot at the big contract because Bills scheme maximized his strength (and at times masked his biggest weakness)

Absolutely!  And if he doesn't get the big contract he expects, the door should be open

34 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

1. There are a lot of intelligent football fans here who can read the writing on the wall... your snark is a bit much.

2. You don't know how much the contract offer would have been to keep him... and I'm sure that not every draft pick will be here for a large second contract or even be ready for a large payday. We're not talking about Jairus Byrd or Marcel Dareus here.

3. To me, this signals not that he wants too much, but that the Bills intend to draft someone else and invest in youth. 

The Bills already drafted a first round who happens to play Phillips exact role.  His name is Ed Oliver.  He'll be lining up next to a 2018 draftee named Harrison.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

To answer original question :. Beane said something quite different about Shaq Lawson at the end of the season presser.  Something like the Bills will make a strong effort to resign Lawson vs. Phillips earned a chance to test free agency. 

I assume something similar would happen for White and Allen though more likely they will be extended before it comes to this point.

There would be a very strong push to extend White before it gets to this point.  In addition, if we couldn't get 'er done, the franchise tag would 100% be in play.

Allen, remains to be seen where he goes in the next 1-2 years.

52 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Yeah.  I think it means that his contract demands are way too high right now.  He will almost certainly get paid more elsewhere, but it’s not 100% certain.  Phillips testing the market and the Bills leaving the door open is the right thing for both.  No surprise.  

There is still a chance he doesn't get what he's hoping for and returns to Buffalo on a smaller deal?  It's not unheard of.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Agree not signing him long term but it is a mistake not to use the tag on him for one year. It will have no effect on their ability to sign free agents.  And now they just have another hole to fill.

but the type of hole that they will have 5 options to fill it and even if they terribly overpay will still be 50% cheaper than the tag. so there’s no worry at all.

if they had to fill the hole of losing a rare top 5 type player that’s a different discussion.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

There was a lot of unhappiness among fans when Byrd left.  I forget who his agent was, but he was one of the guys known as making big demands and being difficult.   The Bills GM at the time, whoever it was, said he had no problem with the agent, in fact he liked him.   The reason was that the agent did his homework, came up with his estimate of what the player's market value was and told the Bills what he wanted.   What the GM liked about it was that he knew right from the get go what the player was looking for, and the GM also knew if that number was at least close to what the Bills were willing to pay.   If the numbers were far apart, there wasn't much sense in talking. 

I got the clear sense that that's what happened with Phillips.   Agent said Phillips wants top dollar, his estimate of top dollar is X, and Beane knows he won't pay close to X.   Maybe Phillips will find out he isn't worth X and there'll be room to talk later, but for now both sides understand there isn't much reason to waste time pretending they're negotiating.   Seems like a pretty practical way to do business.  

Yup. That’s how I see it too.  It’s also a respectful way to do business.  

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

There is still a chance he doesn't get what he's hoping for and returns to Buffalo on a smaller deal?  It's not unheard of.

I agree.  Probably not, but it happens.  And what if he only gets a little more somewhere else?  Maybe the cost of moving and the uncertainty of new coaches, teammates and scheme all factor in enough to make it worth his while to stay.

Even if he doesn’t stay at least he left on good terms.  Maybe he gets way overpaid somewhere and it doesn’t work out. In a couple years he could have a role here again. 

Edited by BarleyNY

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The good working assumption is that we would like to have Phillips back, and had initial talks with his agent which were too far apart to proceed to a contract.

Phillips said something in a tweet about statistically being a top-3 (or maybe top-5) DT in the league.  That's Cox-Jarrett-Atkins money, meaning he sees himself as $17M AAV or 4 yr/$68M.  

My guess is the Bills would see him as more an $8M AAV ($7-10M), 3 yr/$26M kind of guy.  (~ what Spotrac suggests as his market value)

So letting Phillips test the market is the obvious move.  If he finds teams lining up to take him for $17M/4 yr $68M the Bills wish him the best, and I'm not sure they're making a mistake.  OTOH, if he finds teams offering him ~$9M/3 yr/$30M it would be a bit disappointing to me if the Bills wouldn't counter.

I forgot all about that....so yeah, this probably is about his asking price.  Although I'd prefer that he stayed, someone will probably pay him too much.  Will be interesting to see what he does on a team that doesn't have as strong a supporting cast as Buffalo does.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Should be interesting to see if  Brandon Beane says the same to Tre White & Josh Allen when the time comes

Yeah because a guy they picked up off of waivers and offered a prove it deal is equal to two guys that were hand picked as first rounders at premium positions. Come on...

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.