Buffalo Bills going to let DT Jordan Phillips test free agency, per report

HOUSE

Yolo and House -

I see it a little differently, although I agree with Yolo that White and Allen are in a different category than Phillips.   Yolo is correct in part that Phillips will cost more than he's worth to the Bills, but there's another point, too.  

McBeane want guys from the beginning of their pro careers, plain and simple.   That's why they always say they build through the draft and they plug holes in free agency.   McDermott's approach builds value in the team by players accumulating knowledge year over year.   A free agent, a good one, almost always is at best coming off his rookie contract, which means that, depending on his position, he may have only two or three more years in his prime, and then he begins to deteriorate physically.   McDermott wants to take two or three years to teach players the system and THEN have them hit their prime, so he can have three to five years of a guy at the top of the game with a thorough understanding of the system.   

The result is that McBeane aren't interested in investing big bucks in free agents.   Morse was an exception because he plays a position when he could have six or eight good years left - offensive linemen don't decline physically as fast as most other players.   

I agree with Yolo - unless White has something go haywire in this career, the Bills will do what it takes to keep him, and unless Allen sriously plateaus right where he is now and shows no signs of improving, they'll pay what it takes to keep him, too.    Each of them will have three or four years of quality experience in McD's system when they hit their second contract, so they are incredibly valuable to McDermott.     

• Like (+1) 1

Tbh, it kind of bothers me how much personal credit he wants to take for his good stat line last year.  It's like when a C student gets in a group of A students who carry him to a good grade in a group assignment, and then he starts harping about deserving a full scholarship to Harvard because of that one A he got.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

I would think so.  It seems Beane is being honest, upfront and fair with Phillips.  He's kind of a hard guy to judge his worth.

I'm sure Beane has a limit to what he is worth to the team but if Phillips can command a lot more from someone else then good for him.

I'm still hopeful that in the end he stays a Bill.

all of this.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Can someone say more about Vincent Taylor, because I haven't heard much?

I know he's a 6th round pick who spent 2 years with the Dolphins where he struggled with injuries before being waived at roster cutdown, and that we signed him to our practice squad then activated him in November when we decided Kyle Peko just wasn't getting it done.

I don't even know if he's a 3-tech or 1-tech guy, I had assumed 1-tech. 

The other question in-house is whether the Bills saw enough that they liked out of Corey Liuget to offer him a contract.  (I believe he's also a 1-tech).

Two forgotten additions. Corey looked decent enough to me.
Much depends on how Harry is doing, and can he stay off IR for a season or 3.

But Jordan serve us well, and did earn the right to find his new home. Someone will pay him closer to his self perceived value.

31 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

On the other hand, I'd like to keep Luiget in the DT rotation over Taylor.

keep both till better comes along

25 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Tbh, it kind of bothers me how much personal credit he wants to take for his good stat line last year.  It's like when a C student gets in a group of A students who carry him to a good grade in a group assignment, and then he starts harping about deserving a full scholarship to Harvard because of that one A he got.

Multiple good posts from you here.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

What are the similarities between them and Jordan Phillips?

I think he was being facetious....

14 minutes ago, 1997WS6 said:

It seems to me you two are saying the same thing.  Not sure why Yolo jumped on you like that.

I didn’t jump on anyone? This thread is so weird 

Just now, Don Otreply said:

I think he was being facetious....

It didn’t come across ... but probably the only answer

Last year Phillips was our best DT so moving on is a tough thing to do. But they drafted Oliver in the 1st so he'll get a lions share of snaps and Star has a big but renegotiated salary and he'll need to be on the field, so someone has to go or take a much smaller salary, and that guy will be Phillips.

Harrison Phillips should be back from injury and we have Taylor and we could also bring back Liuget who was once very good.

DT is a position of strength even without Phillips.

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Should be interesting to see if  Brandon Beane says the same about Tre White & Josh Allen when the time comes

To answer original question :. Beane said something quite different about Shaq Lawson at the end of the season presser.  Something like the Bills will make a strong effort to resign Lawson vs. Phillips earned a chance to test free agency. 

I assume something similar would happen for White and Allen though more likely they will be extended before it comes to this point.

3 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

This doesn’t mean they didn’t offer him a contract, just that they didn’t agree, right?

Yeah.  I think it means that his contract demands are way too high right now.  He will almost certainly get paid more elsewhere, but it’s not 100% certain.  Phillips testing the market and the Bills leaving the door open is the right thing for both.  No surprise.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

Yes!!! Let's overpay for a guy who got released by the Dolphins, will likely not put up the stats again that he did this year, and will cost a fortune to hold onto at the same position we just drafted a guy in the first round...

But but but, he's a "chearleader" and loves Buffalo.  That'll come in handy later when we can't re-sign our really talented draft picks to second contracts!

1. There are a lot of intelligent football fans here who can read the writing on the wall... your snark is a bit much.

2. You don't know how much the contract offer would have been to keep him... and I'm sure that not every draft pick will be here for a large second contract or even be ready for a large payday. We're not talking about Jairus Byrd or Marcel Dareus here.

3. To me, this signals not that he wants too much, but that the Bills intend to draft someone else and invest in youth. 

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

Yeah.  I think it means that his contract demands are way too high right now.  He will almost certainly get paid more elsewhere, but it’s not 100% certain.  Phillips testing the market and the Bills leaving the door open is the right thing for both.  No surprise.  

There was a lot of unhappiness among fans when Byrd left.  I forget who his agent was, but he was one of the guys known as making big demands and being difficult.   The Bills GM at the time, whoever it was, said he had no problem with the agent, in fact he liked him.   The reason was that the agent did his homework, came up with his estimate of what the player's market value was and told the Bills what he wanted.   What the GM liked about it was that he knew right from the get go what the player was looking for, and the GM also knew if that number was at least close to what the Bills were willing to pay.   If the numbers were far apart, there wasn't much sense in talking. 

I got the clear sense that that's what happened with Phillips.   Agent said Phillips wants top dollar, his estimate of top dollar is X, and Beane knows he won't pay close to X.   Maybe Phillips will find out he isn't worth X and there'll be room to talk later, but for now both sides understand there isn't much reason to waste time pretending they're negotiating.   Seems like a pretty practical way to do business.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Moulds 808080 said:

If any one has been at a game a saw him in action they would be as bummed as I am if we are truly letting him walk. The guy is the biggest cheerleader getting crowd going!!!

Somebody else will have to pick up those pom-poms....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.