Buffalo Bills going to let DT Jordan Phillips test free agency, per report

Bogie_Klinkhammer

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I can’t imagine he will be making statements like that about homegrown cornerstone players at critical positions? With Allen, if he performs that well,  he won’t be close to ever testing the market. He is Beane’s guy, through and through. He would be extended before becoming a FA. The thought process doesn’t make sense. He didn’t draft White, but McDermott did, and the Pegulas have made him a face of the franchise. I don’t see similarities here at all with Phillips.

Jordan Phillips was a guy they signed off of waivers who did well (at times) in this scheme but isn’t a critical position they need to overpay for. 

It's the "at times" qualifier that is key here.  Beane put it out there (gently) in his post-season - something about "I think he still has room to grow as a player"

You don't pay a guy who has "room to grow" like a top-3 or top-5 guy.  Bottom line, Phillips was a great guy and played his butt off to good effect, but he also had gaps in his game (namely run D).

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's the "at times" qualifier that is key here.  Beane put it out there (gently) in his post-season - something about "I think he still has room to grow as a player"

You don't pay a guy who has "room to grow" like a top-3 or top-5 guy.  Bottom line, Phillips was a great guy and played his butt off to good effect, but he also had gaps in his game (namely run D).

He wasn’t good against the run :(. The difference between him and Oliver was significant. Teams attached that weakness especially with Liuget/Phillips subbed in 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Every player has the “right” if they don’t want to re-sign with their current team. Maybe I’m misinterpreting your comment, as I’m not sure why you selected those two players. But the reason that Beane said that publically at the end of the season is he already knows that Phillips market value is going to be higher than his value to the Bills. This is clearly not the case with White,  and if Allen performs at a high level, won’t be the case with him either. Or a number of other players they feel are critical or have committed  assets toward. It was just an odd comment to me, maybe i just didn’t get what you meant. 

I selected the two players because both could hit free agency soon. I think there is a double standard. It appears Brandon Beane is letting Phillips hit the market because he really doesn't care if he loses him

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I selected the two players because both could hit free agency soon. I think there is a double standard. It appears Brandon Beane is letting Phillips hit the market because he really doesn't care if he loses him

I mean... obviously. Why wouldn’t there be? The situations are nothing alike. And of course he doesn’t care if he loses him. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

By what criteria would you describe that as a "double standard"?

A "double standard" to most people's understanding means you have two people with similar value or talents who are regarded differently due to factors having nothing to do with their contributions.

Tre' White has followed an upward trajectory since he entered the league and is regarded as one of the better CBs in the league, which is why he is "Pro Bowl Tre" and an all-pro.  Of course Beane is going to back up the Brinks truck to keep him.

Jordan Phillips is a 2nd round pick whose first team gave up on him partway through his 4th season after he threw a tantrum about playing time on the sideline.  He locked in and took a nice step with the Bills in his 1.5 years here, but he is seen here as having some gaps in his DT game for McD's scheme.

They're being evaluated or going to be evaluated by a single standard, the standard of their performance and value to our team.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Yes!!! Let's overpay for a guy who got released by the Dolphins, will likely not put up the stats again that he did this year, and will cost a fortune to hold onto at the same position we just drafted a guy in the first round...

But but but, he's a "chearleader" and loves Buffalo.  That'll come in handy later when we can't re-sign our really talented draft picks to second contracts!

Your missing the point.. He has been a playmaker but we always run them out of town than we say dang we shouldn't have let him leave.  Did you notice his sack total???

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

The Buffalo Bills are going to let free agent defensive tackle Jordan Phillips test free agency this spring reports John Wawrow of the Associated Press. While both sides “enjoyed his two seasons in Buffalo”, they don’t expect to stay together for a third or beyond.

“[The] thinking behind decision is question of how much Bills can spend because they have to focus on re-signing others,” continued Wawrow.

We projected that this was how the story was going to play out when we looked at Phillips in January. With Ed Oliver ready to step up in his second season and be the lead 3-tech, there was no need to re-sign Phillips to a massive free agent contract.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2020/2/22/21148528/buffalo-bills-going-to-let-dt-jordan-phillips-test-free-agency-2020

Thanks for posting. I didn’t hear the entire presser, so thanks for the article. Seems that Beane and company are so tight lipped in FA and the Draft, that any additional info is appreciated. 

Edited by PIZ

10 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Since 3 DT’s are going to see most of the playing time in 2020 (Oliver, Harrison and Star)........

McBeane is probably looking for a DT to play about  33% of the snaps anyways.

Right on. With DT being possibly being the deepest position in free agency, I think when the dust settles we'll find someone pretty good to handle that 33% ?

16 minutes ago, Moulds 808080 said:

Your missing the point.. He has been a playmaker but we always run them out of town than we say dang we shouldn't have let him leave.  Did you notice his sack total???

I'm not missing any point there, fella.  His "plays" more often than not were a result of other more talented players winning their battles.  Let's not overpay for JAG.  

I don't think anyone is going to be saying "dang" about Jordan Phillips leaving, especially if he gets big $$$.  

• Like (+1) 2

I don't know if it would help or hurt, but I had words to him on Twitter about GMs being unlikely to pay what he is demanding for a player with ONE good year in a top defense surrounding him with talent.  Suggested he take a more reasonable short term extension with an option.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Moulds 808080 said:

The casual fan will look at Phillips’ stat line and think this was a breakout year. He had 10 sacks after recording just six in his first four seasons combined. The issue is that the sacks didn’t come as a result of Phillips winning more of his pass-rushes or showing dominant reps with quick wins. In fact, Phillips had the lowest PFF pass-rushing grade of his career this season at 60.2.
10 of his 25 total pressures resulted in sacks — an extremely high rate — and a good chunk of those sacks came with the quarterback tucking the ball and running into his waiting arms. As a player who has yet to crack an overall grade of 60.0 in a season, it would behoove teams to not spend big money on Phillips chasing his sack total.
For all the physical gifts Phillips has, he isn’t consistent on the field. He especially disappoints as a run defender where he doesn’t regularly anchor or maintain his run fits. Whether it’s getting driven out of his gap or shooting too far up the field on run plays, he puts the second level of the defense in compromising situations when attempting to play downhill.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/nfl-free-agent-jordan-phillips-buffalo-bills-2020

his season was an outlier, and it makes me wonder if it is scheme- related. Which would be ok if he stayed with the Bills, but again the value needs to match and I think Beane believes he can replace him. His sack to pressure ratio is likely unsustainable. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I'm not missing any point there, fella.  His "plays" more often than not were a result of other more talented players winning their battles.  Let's not overpay for JAG.  

I don't think anyone is going to be saying "dang" about Jordan Phillips leaving, especially if he gets big $$$.  

Even if he turns into a superstar after getting top $$$, it is still objectively a dumb idea to hand that kind of money for a potential one year wonder.  Winning the lottery after blowing your life savings on tickets doesn't justify the initial irresponsibility. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.