Buffalo Bills going to let DT Jordan Phillips test free agency, per report

HOUSE

The Buffalo Bills are going to let free agent defensive tackle Jordan Phillips test free agency this spring reports John Wawrow of the Associated Press. While both sides “enjoyed his two seasons in Buffalo”, they don’t expect to stay together for a third or beyond.

“[The] thinking behind decision is question of how much Bills can spend because they have to focus on re-signing others,” continued Wawrow.

We projected that this was how the story was going to play out when we looked at Phillips in January. With Ed Oliver ready to step up in his second season and be the lead 3-tech, there was no need to re-sign Phillips to a massive free agent contract.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2020/2/22/21148528/buffalo-bills-going-to-let-dt-jordan-phillips-test-free-agency-2020

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Beane pretty much announced this at the end of season presser. “He’s earned the right the test the market” 

Should be interesting to see if  Brandon Beane says the same to Tre White & Josh Allen when the time comes

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

If any one has been at a game a saw him in action they would be as bummed as I am if we are truly letting him walk. The guy is the biggest cheerleader getting crowd going!!!

I was fortunate to go to Houston and Miami games on the road  and he constantly is spinning towel in air and pump fisting. I totally agree with Chandler#81. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It will be interesting to see when he gets on the market. And if it’s reasonable, will he allow the Bills to match it?

But smart move on the Bills’ part. With Ed Oliver expected to dominate next year and horrible Harry coming back, to go with Star and Vincent Taylor, they don’t need to offer him a ridiculous deal to stay.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Seems like the smart move to me. If some team wants to overpay based on his sack numbers from this past season, let them. If the market Phillips is expecting isn’t there, then they can discuss bringing him back on a deal that would be more in line with his position as a rotational DT in this system.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Moulds 808080 said:

If any one has been at a game a saw him in action they would be as bummed as I am if we are truly letting him walk. The guy is the biggest cheerleader getting crowd going!!!

I was fortunate to go to Houston and Miami games on the road  and he constantly is spinning towel in air and pump fisting. I totally agree with Chandler#81. 

Yes!!! Let's overpay for a guy who got released by the Dolphins, will likely not put up the stats again that he did this year, and will cost a fortune to hold onto at the same position we just drafted a guy in the first round...

But but but, he's a "chearleader" and loves Buffalo.  That'll come in handy later when we can't re-sign our really talented draft picks to second contracts!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

It will be interesting to see when he gets on the market. And if it’s reasonable, will he allow the Bills to match it?

But smart move on the Bills’ heart. With Ed Oliver expected to dominate next year and horrible Harry coming back, to go with Star and Vincent Taylor, they don’t need to offer him a ridiculous deal to stay.

I would think so.  It seems Beane is being honest, upfront and fair with Phillips.  He's kind of a hard guy to judge his worth.

I'm sure Beane has a limit to what he is worth to the team but if Phillips can command a lot more from someone else then good for him.

I'm still hopeful that in the end he stays a Bill.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I was referring to having the right to explore free agency

I can’t imagine he will be making statements like that about homegrown cornerstone players at critical positions? With Allen, if he performs that well,  he won’t be close to ever testing the market. He is Beane’s guy, through and through. He would be extended before becoming a FA. The thought process doesn’t make sense. He didn’t draft White, but McDermott did, and the Pegulas have made him a face of the franchise. I don’t see similarities here at all with Phillips.

Jordan Phillips was a guy they signed off of waivers who did well (at times) in this scheme but isn’t a critical position they need to overpay for. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I can’t imagine he will be making statements like that about homegrown cornerstone players at critical positions? With Allen, if he performs that well,  he won’t be close to ever testing the market. He is Beane’s guy, through and through. He would be extended before becoming a FA. The thought process doesn’t make sense. He didn’t draft White, but McDermott did, and the Pegulas have made him a face of the franchise. I don’t see similarities here at all with Phillips.

Jordan Phillips was a guy they signed off of waivers who did well (at times) in this scheme but isn’t a critical position they need to overpay for. 

Does Josh Allen & Tre White have the right to explore free agency ? Of course they do but I doubt Brandon Beane will let them hit the open market

19 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

This doesn’t mean they didn’t offer him a contract, just that they didn’t agree, right?

The good working assumption is that we would like to have Phillips back, and had initial talks with his agent which were too far apart to proceed to a contract.

Phillips said something in a tweet about statistically being a top-3 (or maybe top-5) DT in the league.  That's Cox-Jarrett-Atkins money, meaning he sees himself as $17M AAV or 4 yr/$68M.  

My guess is the Bills would see him as more an $8M AAV ($7-10M), 3 yr/$26M kind of guy.  (~ what Spotrac suggests as his market value)

So letting Phillips test the market is the obvious move.  If he finds teams lining up to take him for $17M/4 yr $68M the Bills wish him the best, and I'm not sure they're making a mistake.  OTOH, if he finds teams offering him ~$9M/3 yr/$30M it would be a bit disappointing to me if the Bills wouldn't counter.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Doc said:

But smart move on the Bills’ heart. With Ed Oliver expected to dominate next year and horrible Harry coming back, to go with Star and Vincent Taylor, they don’t need to offer him a ridiculous deal to stay.

Can someone say more about Vincent Taylor, because I haven't heard much?

I know he's a 6th round pick who spent 2 years with the Dolphins where he struggled with injuries before being waived at roster cutdown, and that we signed him to our practice squad then activated him in November when we decided Kyle Peko just wasn't getting it done.

I don't even know if he's a 3-tech or 1-tech guy, I had assumed 1-tech. 

The other question in-house is whether the Bills saw enough that they liked out of Corey Liuget to offer him a contract.  (I believe he's also a 1-tech).

6 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Does Josh Allen & Tre White have the right to explore free agency ? Of course they do but I doubt Brandon Beane will let them hit the open market

Every player has the “right” if they don’t want to re-sign with their current team. Maybe I’m misinterpreting your comment, as I’m not sure why you selected those two players. But the reason that Beane said that publically at the end of the season is he already knows that Phillips market value is going to be higher than his value to the Bills. This is clearly not the case with White,  and if Allen performs at a high level, won’t be the case with him either. Or a number of other players they feel are critical or have committed  assets toward. It was just an odd comment to me, maybe i just didn’t get what you meant. 

33 minutes ago, Moulds 808080 said:

Shouldn’t have to get the crowd going.  Get off your rears and make some noise.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.