Safety Kyle Drugger With Bills First Round Pick?

26 minutes ago, BBILL12 said:

A lot of people said this about Kahlil Mack as a linebacker..........

UB is D-1.  It's lower level D1 but it's still D1.  D2 is completely different and it's frankly not even close to the same level of competition. I went to a D2 school. There are three kinds of kids who play D2 as opposed to D1.  

1. D1 transfers who flamed out for whatever reason and who didn't want to sit out a year transferring 

2. D1 level players who have horrible grades, test scores or major major character concerns 

3. Players who started out late or were under-recruited had no D1 offers and ended up going to a D2 school for a chance to play.

4. Players who are truly D2 level players meaning not good enough to play D1 or D1-AA (FCS or FBS)

Categories 1 and 2 are smaller than category 3 and Categories 1, 2, and 3 are smaller than category 4.

D2 is mostly made up of players who were good but not great in high school or maybe even great in some cases but who have bad measurables.  It's not being disparaging to say that.  It's just the truth.

When I was at IUP we had 2 players go the NFL and they were insanely good at the D2 level.  One was OT Leander Jordan who was a 3rd round pick of the Panthers - he was category 3.  Huge guy, good athlete, no offers.  The other was TE John Jones was category 1 (despite what his Wiki says). He transferred to IUP from Pitt, was really good at D2 ended up a UDFA and played 3 seasons with the Ravens and won a Super Bowl.  That's all.  Nobody else.   

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, sure, but how valuable? 

If your team can't shut down the run or pressure the QB, you don't need to be Kamarra or Hill to get open.  The best defensive backfield in the league will eventually get burned.

And if your offense can't score points, that's a problem too.

And yet, the defensive backfield was the first position group the current HC chose to overhaul during the 2017 off-season.  I understood why, but it isn't the force multiplier that some make it out to be.  

Beane made an interesting comment at the end of season PC: "And a lot of times, if you make the playoffs your last game is kind of emblematic of—if you don’t win it all, whether you go to the championship game or lose like we did—a lot of times it kind of shows you where your season went, where you’re good and where you need to get better. And I thought we saw that [on Saturday], we just didn’t score enough points."

DE is probably the only position on defense this team should be going in round 1.  That PC doesn't lock them in to anything and was held before the bulk of off-season amateur and pro evaluation decisions.  Yet, it'd be hard to get believe they're committed to offense with another first round defensive pick.  They've already placed 3 1sts on that side of the ball, but the HC is who he is. 

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He is a good prospect but don’t think he is a 1st rounder

He's definitely really high on scouts boards

All it takes is one team to love him and he can go 25-32

He definitely won't make it out of round 2 imo. 6' 220 4.4 40 .. 11-12 ft broad jump , had a 40 inch vertical

He's a specimen

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

UB is D-1.  It's lower level D1 but it's still D1.  D2 is completely different and it's frankly not even close to the same level of competition. I went to a D2 school. There are three kinds of kids who play D2 as opposed to D1.  

1. D1 transfers who flamed out for whatever reason and who didn't want to sit out a year transferring 

2. D1 level players who have horrible grades, test scores or major major character concerns 

3. Players who started out late or were under-recruited had no D1 offers and ended up going to a D2 school for a chance to play.

4. Players who are truly D2 level players meaning not good enough to play D1 or D1-AA (FCS or FBS)

Categories 1 and 2 are smaller than category 3 and Categories 1, 2, and 3 are smaller than category 4.

D2 is mostly made up of players who were good but not great in high school or maybe even great in some cases but who have bad measurables.  It's not being disparaging to say that.  It's just the truth.

When I was at IUP we had 2 players go the NFL and they were insanely good at the D2 level.  One was OT Leander Jordan who was a 3rd round pick of the Panthers - he was category 3.  Huge guy, good athlete, no offers.  The other was TE John Jones was category 1 (despite what his Wiki says). He transferred to IUP from Pitt, was really good at D2 ended up a UDFA and played 3 seasons with the Ravens and won a Super Bowl.  That's all.  Nobody else.   

It's usually totally the measurable part man. About 1% of D2 players weren't great in HS.

They were ALL all area or all section..Usually just from small HSs or towns that get breezed over

Rarely do you get a scrub that can even hang at a D2 school... D3 schools are filled with players that were all conference and in all star games and just don't have measurables .. D2 ain't FCS or FBS but they ain't scrubs

I've been to plenty D2 games scouting

Edited by Buffalo716

12 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It's usually totally the measurable part man. About 1% of D2 players weren't great in HS.

They were ALL all area or all section..Usually just from small HSs or towns that get breezed over

Rarely do you get a scrub that can even hang at a D2 school... D3 schools are filled with players that were all conference and in all star games and just don't have measurables .. D2 ain't FCS or FBS but they ain't scrubs

I've been to plenty D2 games scouting

I guess it depends what you define as good and great but we are on the same page here.

9 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I guess it depends what you define as good and great but we are on the same page here.

I mean D1 players are 1% of football players. Top of the top. You need size, athleticism and football skills and grades

D2 players generally lack in the size or grades or athleticism ... Not football skill

As I said the majority of D2 schools are filled with sectional all stars and and all regional player's.. just don't have the size or athleticism for D1 ball

My local D3 school is FILLED with All WNY and all sectional players. You probably aren't making the team unless you were a sectional or regional stud

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

He is said to be the prototypical Big Nickel DB that McDermott covets. He’s over 6 feet and is expected to run in the sub 4.4 range in the 40. Would this board lose it’s collective mind if the Bills went safety in Rd 1?

This is the annual baiting of Bill in NYC thread, isn't it ?

Why in the world would we use a 1st round pick to bolster the strongest position on the roster? That makes even less sense as drafting a RB in the 1st. I'd be fine with a QB, but not our least need. We have many positions that could use upgrades. I'm pretty sure we can find a good match between need and talent. We just need Beane to start hitting on these 1st rounders.