Safety Kyle Drugger With Bills First Round Pick?

2 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I haven’t seen his name addressed here but in a column at The Athletic, Matthew Fairborn suggests there his evidence that the Division II S might be the Bills’ guy. Here’s an excerpt:

“In my story on Lenoir Rhyne defensive back Kyle Dugger, I noted the Bills had shown strong interest in the Division II standout. They sent three high-ranking members of their scouting staff to Hickory, N.C. to see Dugger in person and by all accounts were there as often as any team in the league. That carries more weight when you consider Lenoir Rhyne isn’t a typical stop on the scouting trail for those making the rounds.”

“Does that mean the Bills will take Dugger at No. 22? Maybe. There are too many variables to ever pin down a team’s draft plans. Who else will be on the board? Will another team offer a strong enough package to convince the Bills to trade down? Will Dugger be worth that pick?”

He is said to be the prototypical Big Nickel DB that MsDermott covets. He’s over 6 feet and is expected to run in the 4.4 range in the 40. Would this board lose it’s collective mind if the Bills went safety in Rd 1?

Given all the uncertainties around whether someone with brilliant physical skills who overperforms at a lower level of competition, can in fact "cut it" in the NFL, that would be....Ballsy.  Some would say "Billsy", and not mean it as a compliment.

I "get it" we say "best player available" but unless Beane truly stocks the shelves in FA, I vote "Yes, in fact, this board would lose its collective mind if the Bills did this".  I would probably lose mine, truth be told - I just wouldn't go nutzoid on here.  I think.

I mean, let's put it out there: Even if Dugger is "All that and a Bag of Chips", the Bills had a sound defense last year.  The biggest gaps were run D and edge rusher.  The Bills need their offense to take a couple big steps forward in order to take the next step.  Yes, a lot of that is between Allen's ears, but what happens with the other 10/11 after the snap also matters. 

BPA is all very well, but at some point ya gotta build a team.

15 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

If you are going to pick a D-2 safety in round one you better be right.

He didnt start in high school until he was a senior, he only had D2 offers, he redshirted as a freshman and he will be 24 years old by the time the draft happens. I'm very very wary. I'm not saying he can't play and I'm not saying I wouldn't draft him but there is an ocean of difference between D1 and D2 in terms of competition and drafting a 24 year old D2 safety who has played against 0 NFL caliber WRs and TEs is one of the riskier things you can do with a first round pick. Day 2, day 3? Sure, knock yourself out.

Very well put.  This.

• Thank you (+1) 1

There is no way we draft him in the 1st. If he is there in the 3rd then yes. I don’t think any teams will be drafting a division 2 defensive player in the 1st round. Not happening. 

Edited by wppete

29 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Keep your tv. Offense may well be taken care of in FA, where we could wait for Round 2 for a prospect.

FA isn't enough. we need playmakers and guys that can help our young QB. 

and who exactly are we signing in free agency? AJ Green and Amari Cooper aren't what we need. Beane needs to be aggressive and trade for a top WR, and then draft more playmakers. 

30 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Watch his punt returns. 

Thanks for posting. A playmaker for sure.  Micah Jr. Would love to get him in the 2nd, even if we trade up.  We just need so much more help on offense, that I want to see a game-changer on offense in RD#1. Unless we address it in FA or a trade and bring in a Cooper type WR.

Edited by BillsRdue
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

If he runs a 4.3 he very well might sneak into the last 10 picks of round 1.

I would disagree that he would go in round 1 due to running a fast 40. Safety isn’t considered a premium position anyway and unless a guy is an elite prospect like a Jamal Adams teams tend to value them past the 1st. Of course it only takes one but I would be surprised. I don’t even think Delpit will go in the 1st.Xavier McKinney is the only one I could see and it will be after pick 20. Jmo of course.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, GG said:

Do you think he'd be cheaper than K Johnson?

No.

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would disagree that he would go in round 1 due to running a fast 40. Safety isn’t considered a premium position anyway and unless a guy is an elite prospect like a Jamal Adams teams tend to value them past the 1st. Of course it only takes one but I would be surprised. I don’t even think Delpit will go in the 1st.Xavier McKinney is the only one I could see and it will be after pick 20. Jmo of course.

Never know...the NFL loves safeties that can cover. That’s how a guy like Darnell Savage or Damarious Randall ends up in round 1. 

Plus, if a team can draft Jonathan Abram in round 1, anybody can go that high ?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, cage said:

Its a great article for sure!  I've gone back and looked at several multi-round mock drafts since and he's generally being slotted in the middle of the 2nd round.  I can see the Bills trying to grab him there.  I'm sure they'll be monitoring whether to make a call to move up a few slots or if he'll drop to them.  We'll see what happens after he combine.

I would be curious where you are seeing this.  I'm not seeing him listed anywhere as a 2nd Round Prospect.

When I do draft evaluations, I generally start by looking at the "Top 100 Big Boards" on the major sites.  

That includes ESPN, NFL.Com, CBS Sports, PFF, Draft Network and Draftek.

Out of those sites, Kyle Dugger was only listed on the Top 100 on two of those sites.  In both cases, he's considered a 3rd Round Prospect.

He was #69 on Draftek and #86 on the Draft Network.  The rest had him completely outside the Top 100, which is 4th Round or later.

So if the Bills really like him, they better do some maneuvering around the board, and try to get him in the late 2nd (at the absolute earliest). 

Using our 1st on a mid-round prospect from a small school, at a non-need position with limited impact, would be a disaster.

3 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I haven’t seen his name addressed here but in a column at The Athletic, Matthew Fairburn suggests there his evidence that the Division II S might be the Bills’ guy. Here’s an excerpt:

“In my story on Lenoir Rhyne defensive back Kyle Dugger, I noted the Bills had shown strong interest in the Division II standout. They sent three high-ranking members of their scouting staff to Hickory, N.C. to see Dugger in person and by all accounts were there as often as any team in the league. That carries more weight when you consider Lenoir Rhyne isn’t a typical stop on the scouting trail for those making the rounds.”

“Does that mean the Bills will take Dugger at No. 22? Maybe. There are too many variables to ever pin down a team’s draft plans. Who else will be on the board? Will another team offer a strong enough package to convince the Bills to trade down? Will Dugger be worth that pick?”

He is said to be the prototypical Big Nickel DB that McDermott covets. He’s over 6 feet and is expected to run in the sub 4.4 range in the 40. Would this board lose it’s collective mind if the Bills went safety in Rd 1?

I will wait until after FA to determine that.  I think if the Bills FO is great at drafting defense - then go ahead and draft defense.  Use FA and trades to stock the offense with known players and hit on draft picks on defense.

I personally do not care how they improve the team- just keep getting better.

Now if they do not address they offense in FA and trade - then I may lose my mind with a safety, but they seem to have a handle on how to build that side of the ball.

2 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I agree, even if they are uncomfortable with making a heavy investment on a WR, at least find some O Line help. I like Beane, but I hope he learned from Carolina. Carolina simply leaned on the short lived excellence of Cam Newton, while not addressing that side of the ball much.

Right on

6 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I will wait until after FA to determine that.  I think if the Bills FO is great at drafting defense - then go ahead and draft defense.  Use FA and trades to stock the offense with known players and hit on draft picks on defense.

I personally do not care how they improve the team- just keep getting better.

Now if they do not address they offense in FA and trade - then I may lose my mind with a safety, but they seem to have a handle on how to build that side of the ball.

So the stuff that Beane said in his post-season presser about not being "players at the deep end" of FA can be interpreted different ways, but several of the reporters who were there including @Matt Parrino *seem* to have interpreted it as I did, namely "don't expect the Bills to blow the Salary Cap chasing 1 or 2 big name high priced FA this year"

If we follow along in FA and trade with what I think Beane meant - we go after a handful of more "sleeper" medium-price guys for competition at WR/TE/OL/Edge/LB - then how do you feel about this?

Frankly, Beane and Co have to be able to evaluate and draft talent on both sides of the ball.

15 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

I would be curious where you are seeing this.  I'm not seeing him listed anywhere as a 2nd Round Prospect.

When I do draft evaluations, I generally start by looking at the "Top 100 Big Boards" on the major sites.  

That includes ESPN, NFL.Com, CBS Sports, PFF, Draft Network and Draftek.

Out of those sites, Kyle Dugger was only listed on the Top 100 on two of those sites.  In both cases, he's considered a 3rd Round Prospect.

He was #69 on Draftek and #86 on the Draft Network.  The rest had him completely outside the Top 100, which is 4th Round or later.

So if the Bills really like him, they better do some maneuvering around the board, and try to get him in the late 2nd (at the absolute earliest). 

Using our 1st on a mid-round prospect from a small school, at a non-need position with limited impact, would be a disaster.

I tend to agree with this take.  I'm not much on "Top 100 Big Boards" for deciding who different teams will draft or as an absolute talent guy, but there was certainly a point (say, 2005-2011 or so) where I could have chosen a Fan Jury off this board and we could have more consistently drafted a higher level of NFL football talent than the Bills did....Truth Hurts. 

Hopefully those days are gone.

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

In the modern passing-based league full of Alvin Kamarras and Tyreek Hills, having versatile chess pieces in the defensive backfield becomes very valuable.

Well, sure, but how valuable? 

If your team can't shut down the run or pressure the QB, you don't need to be Kamarra or Hill to get open.  The best defensive backfield in the league will eventually get burned.

And if your offense can't score points, that's a problem too.

42 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

No.

Then I'd be skeptical that they would sign a CB in 1st week of FA, knowing that they need to extend Tre very soon.  I think they will continue to use the one-year $2 mil-$5 mill prove-it deals for decent vets instead of paying $10 mil FA rates.

2 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

If you are going to pick a D-2 safety in round one you better be right.

He didnt start in high school until he was a senior, he only had D2 offers, he redshirted as a freshman and he will be 24 years old by the time the draft happens. I'm very very wary. I'm not saying he can't play and I'm not saying I wouldn't draft him but there is an ocean of difference between D1 and D2 in terms of competition and drafting a 24 year old D2 safety who has played against 0 NFL caliber WRs and TEs is one of the riskier things you can do with a first round pick. Day 2, day 3? Sure, knock yourself out.

A lot of people said this about Kahlil Mack as a linebacker..........

• Like (+1) 1