Safety Kyle Drugger With Bills First Round Pick?

I haven’t seen his name addressed here but in a column at The Athletic, Matthew Fairburn suggests there his evidence that the Division II S might be the Bills’ guy. Here’s an excerpt:

“In my story on Lenoir Rhyne defensive back Kyle Dugger, I noted the Bills had shown strong interest in the Division II standout. They sent three high-ranking members of their scouting staff to Hickory, N.C. to see Dugger in person and by all accounts were there as often as any team in the league. That carries more weight when you consider Lenoir Rhyne isn’t a typical stop on the scouting trail for those making the rounds.”

“Does that mean the Bills will take Dugger at No. 22? Maybe. There are too many variables to ever pin down a team’s draft plans. Who else will be on the board? Will another team offer a strong enough package to convince the Bills to trade down? Will Dugger be worth that pick?”

He is said to be the prototypical Big Nickel DB that McDermott covets. He’s over 6 feet and is expected to run in the sub 4.4 range in the 40. Would this board lose it’s collective mind if the Bills went safety in Rd 1?

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
font
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Its a great article for sure!  I've gone back and looked at several multi-round mock drafts since and he's generally being slotted in the middle of the 2nd round.  I can see the Bills trying to grab him there.  I'm sure they'll be monitoring whether to make a call to move up a few slots or if he'll drop to them.  We'll see what happens after he combine.

Edited by cage
  • Like (+1) 3

He’d fit the hybrid Shaq Thompson role in McD’s defense and I can see it happening.  At some point however, they’re going to have to have the organizational discipline in place to build a modern offense and add touchdown makers.  It’s gonna be tough for McBeane to stretch outside of their comfort zones and pass up on defensive talent they know how to scout and utilize in their scheme - but they’ve GOT to do it.

I’d be ok with the pick so long as they trade back up for pass catchers.  They also need offensive line help, a running back and a tight end so....

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He’d fit the hybrid Shaq Thompson role in McD’s defense and I can see it happening.  At some point however, they’re going to have to have the organizational discipline in place to build a modern offense and add touchdown makers.  It’s gonna be tough for McBeane to stretch outside of their comfort zones and pass up on defensive talent they know how to scout and utilize in their scheme - but they’ve GOT to do it.

I’d be ok with the pick so long as they trade back up for pass catchers.  They also need offensive line help, a running back and a tight end so....

I agree, even if they are uncomfortable with making a heavy investment on a WR, at least find some O Line help. I like Beane, but I hope he learned from Carolina. Carolina simply leaned on the short lived excellence of Cam Newton, while not addressing that side of the ball much.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I haven’t seen his name addressed here but in a column at The Athletic, Matthew Fairborn suggests there his evidence that the Division II S might be the Bills’ guy. Here’s an excerpt:

“In my story on Lenoir Rhyne defensive back Kyle Dugger, I noted the Bills had shown strong interest in the Division II standout. They sent three high-ranking members of their scouting staff to Hickory, N.C. to see Dugger in person and by all accounts were there as often as any team in the league. That carries more weight when you consider Lenoir Rhyne isn’t a typical stop on the scouting trail for those making the rounds.”

“Does that mean the Bills will take Dugger at No. 22? Maybe. There are too many variables to ever pin down a team’s draft plans. Who else will be on the board? Will another team offer a strong enough package to convince the Bills to trade down? Will Dugger be worth that pick?”

He is said to be the prototypical Big Nickel DB that MsDermott covets. He’s over 6 feet and is expected to run in the 4.4 range in the 40. Would this board lose it’s collective mind if the Bills went safety in Rd 1?

Yes

18 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

If he runs a 4.3 he very well might sneak into the last 10 picks of round 1.

im asking you because you know your **** - does anyone really need a burner safety? Seems like a luxury more than anything else.

jamal adams is great but he’s not winning the jets a lot of games

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

im asking you because you know your **** - does anyone really need a burner safety? Seems like a luxury more than anything else.

In the modern passing-based league full of Alvin Kamarras and Tyreek Hills, having versatile chess pieces in the defensive backfield becomes very valuable.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

If he runs a 4.3 he very well might sneak into the last 10 picks of round 1.

6 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

For the next decade or so we'll need to find a way to get past Jackson and/or Mahomes to make it to the Super Bowl. If he runs a 4.3 he can be used as the spy.

• Like (+1) 4

19 minutes ago, Steve O said:

For the next decade or so we'll need to find a way to get past Jackson and/or Mahomes to make it to the Super Bowl. If he runs a 4.3 he can be used as the spy.

...tell 'em to call Putin because I doubt McBeane goes safety in the 1st.......

1 minute ago, Penfield45 said:

I'll literally throw my tv out the window if we pick a safety with the first pick

we could have the best defense in the NFL for the next 10 years and it won't matter if our offense struggles to score more than 14 points a game 

Keep your tv. Offense may well be taken care of in FA, where we could wait for Round 2 for a prospect.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

He is said to be the prototypical Big Nickel DB that MsDermott covets. He’s over 6 feet and is expected to run in the 4.4 range in the 40. Would this board lose it’s collective mind if the Bills went safety in Rd 1?

If you are going to pick a D-2 safety in round one you better be right.

He didnt start in high school until he was a senior, he only had D2 offers, he redshirted as a freshman and he will be 24 years old by the time the draft happens. I'm very very wary. I'm not saying he can't play and I'm not saying I wouldn't draft him but there is an ocean of difference between D1 and D2 in terms of competition and drafting a 24 year old D2 safety who has played against 0 NFL caliber WRs and TEs is one of the riskier things you can do with a first round pick. Day 2, day 3? Sure, knock yourself out.

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1