40 years ago today

LewPort71

On this day 40 years ago, the single greatest sporting event in USA's sports history occurred.

The Miracle on Ice to me is the best sports result, (Until the Bills win the Super Bowl, of course)

I still remember when Mike Eruzione  scored with 10 minutes to go and figured the next 10 minutes would drag on

for a very long time. 

Gonna watch "Miracle"  tonight no matter what Mrs. Lew says.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I was in college living with a dozen guys in one old house. Someone got ambitious and rented a bunch of what were for then giant TV’s and bought countless kegs.  (Anyone who thought it was a good idea to rent us those TV’s must have had serious  dain bramage!)  HUGE CROWD!  That was probably the single best party of my 14 years in college! ?:) 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 3

22 hours ago, row_33 said:

watched it live on the Canadian feed with the surprises being genuine 

the US channel (ABC??)  knew the score and broadcast the game knowing the US would win

Buffalonians were lucky enough to be able to watch it live on those Canadian channels.  

• Like (+1) 1

I remember watching very well, and it truly did feel like a miracle at the time.  A super exciting moment in US sports history.

* It's worth point out that we didn't win the Gold Medal with that victory over the USSR.  

That came later, when we beat Finland 4-2.

A lot of folks have sort of forgotten that aspect of it.  

On 2/21/2020 at 4:22 PM, row_33 said:

watched it live on the Canadian feed with the surprises being genuine 

the US channel (ABC??)  knew the score and broadcast the game knowing the US would win

I don’t recall this at all. I watched on my tv but I lived in NT at the time. I was sure it was ABC/cnl 7 though..?