Simple Schedule Idea

ngbills

A little off topic, but I think they should (eventually):

Expand rosters to 60

Knock the preseason down to 2 games

Expand the regular season to 18

No player can play more than 16 reg season games (player safety stuff)

7 playoff teams from each conference

1 bye for top seed

18 reg season games:

6 division games

4 rotating AFC division

4 rotating NFC division

2 same prior year finish in AFC

2 same prior year finish in NFC (based on last two NFC divisions played)

16 hours ago, wagon127 said:

Way to simple and unrealistic. Somebody suggested the best way to handle the 17th game, Is to play one team from the inter-conference division you played last year. Based on divisional standings. So if it went into effect this year (which it wont) we would play the cowboys again. I like this better.

I like that.  You could also choose another division in the NFC and have a set schedule every year (we'd play the 2nd place NFC North team next year (Vikings).  That way you avoid playing the same team two years in a row.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, ngbills said:

Assuming you keep the 16 game schedule here is my proposal:

Each conference team plays every conference team once. That equals 15 of the 16 games.

The 16th game can be multiple formats: 1) Chose prior to the season based on finish the prior year and played vs an NFL team. 2) Flex game played as the last game of the year and can be based on current record. Best record plays worst record - 1 plays 16 down to 8 plays 9. 

Benefits I see is the removes the SOS aspect and luck of playing certain teams as all teams basically play all the same teams. Think it will help with the week 16 play to make the playoffs scenarios as the bubble teams would be the 4-10 ranked teams and may have more to play for. Super bowl could likely be two teams that have not seen each other. 

Downside is you lose some of the in division rivalry and tradition. Travel to away games may be less exciting. 

Thoughts

I have always thought that they should make the division opponents stay the same. You play them twice but instead of playing one whole other division in your conference, each team depending on where they finish would play either the top two teams or bottom two teams in each of the other divisions. So, for instance, the Bills finished 2nd in the AFC East so they would play the top two teams in each of the North, South and West Divisions. The bottom two teams like the Jets and Dolphins would play the bottom two teams in each of the North South and West divisions. 

As far as NFC opponents, instead of playing one whole NFC division like they do now, do pretty much the same thing as with the AFC conference. Only instead of the top two teams in each division of the NFC, each team would just play the same place finisher in each NFC division. So, the Bills being in 2nd place in the AFC East eould play the 2nd place Finisher in each of the NFC East, North, South and West. This would make the schedule much more interesting and more even in my opinion 

Edited by Buffalo03

19 hours ago, mattynh said:

it seems like you don’t understand the importance rivalries play in the NFL.  The nfl is interested in maximizing revenues, not making the product bland and the schedule more “fair”

Ok - who are the Bills rivals? Tell me one NFC rival the Bills have? Tell me any NFC v AFC rivals?

On 2/21/2020 at 2:31 PM, mattynh said:

Rivalry's generate interest and money, this idea while balancing strength of schedule will NEVER happen.  It would suck big time.

On 2/21/2020 at 3:03 PM, mattynh said:

You dont know of any rivalries in the NFL?  You dont know if they are divisional or cross conference?

On 2/22/2020 at 2:13 AM, mattynh said:

it seems like you don’t understand the importance rivalries play in the NFL.  The nfl is interested in maximizing revenues, not making the product bland and the schedule more “fair”

On 2/23/2020 at 6:13 AM, mattynh said:

why are you talking about NFC vs AFC when it comes to rivalries?  It sounds like you dont really watch the NFL

Huh? Confusion. The only games lost in this idea are the NFC vs AFC games. So I asked what big rivalries of NFC vs AFC teams would be lost? I think you have more AFC vs AFC rivalries and under my idea the NFL would actually have those teams play more often. 

I like having the variety of playing four different NFC teams every year. Especially as someone who no longer lives in Buffalo, it would suck to know that the Bills are only going to play in a given NFC stadium once every 30 years (each NFC team is played once every 15 years, and assuming home field is alternated).

9 hours ago, ngbills said:

Huh? Confusion. The only games lost in this idea are the NFC vs AFC games. So I asked what big rivalries of NFC vs AFC teams would be lost? I think you have more AFC vs AFC rivalries and under my idea the NFL would actually have those teams play more often. 

The divisional rivalries with two games per year is really important.  Going to one game would suck.   I know you like your idea but it would limit a lot of big matchups based on current divisional rivalries.   I assume you think nothing is lost because there would be one game but you are incorrect.  There are not a lot of afc nfc rivalries because teams only play once every four years.  We seem to agree there.   Don’t take it so personal that someone does not like your idea.   If it is so great they would probably do it.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/22/2020 at 12:46 PM, Buffalo03 said:

I have always thought that they should make the division opponents stay the same. You play them twice but instead of playing one whole other division in your conference, each team depending on where they finish would play either the top two teams or bottom two teams in each of the other divisions. So, for instance, the Bills finished 2nd in the AFC East so they would play the top two teams in each of the North, South and West Divisions. The bottom two teams like the Jets and Dolphins would play the bottom two teams in each of the North South and West divisions. 

As far as NFC opponents, instead of playing one whole NFC division like they do now, do pretty much the same thing as with the AFC conference. Only instead of the top two teams in each division of the NFC, each team would just play the same place finisher in each NFC division. So, the Bills being in 2nd place in the AFC East eould play the 2nd place Finisher in each of the NFC East, North, South and West. This would make the schedule much more interesting and more even in my opinion 

But then, you may never see the bills play certain teams for even longer then they have in between now. Its nice to know, the cowboys are coming to Buffalo to play the bills in 2023. I think they used to do your idea before, and there were some teams that never traveled to certain cities for decades. The current rotation is simple and organized.