Simple Schedule Idea

ngbills

Assuming you keep the 16 game schedule here is my proposal:

Each conference team plays every conference team once. That equals 15 of the 16 games.

The 16th game can be multiple formats: 1) Chose prior to the season based on finish the prior year and played vs an NFL team. 2) Flex game played as the last game of the year and can be based on current record. Best record plays worst record - 1 plays 16 down to 8 plays 9. 

Benefits I see is the removes the SOS aspect and luck of playing certain teams as all teams basically play all the same teams. Think it will help with the week 16 play to make the playoffs scenarios as the bubble teams would be the 4-10 ranked teams and may have more to play for. Super bowl could likely be two teams that have not seen each other. 

Downside is you lose some of the in division rivalry and tradition. Travel to away games may be less exciting. 

Thoughts

• Sad 1

Way to simple and unrealistic. Somebody suggested the best way to handle the 17th game, Is to play one team from the inter-conference division you played last year. Based on divisional standings. So if it went into effect this year (which it wont) we would play the cowboys again. I like this better.

• Like (+1) 1

That would pretty much eliminate conference to conference games. I don't think anyone would want that. The Bills would basically have to cycle through the NFC every 16 years. That would suck.

Play your division twice as we do now = 6 games   +   play  11 of the 12  other AFC teams  = 17 games

Keeps schedules similar  - stops the ridiculous easy/hard schedule    - creates a true AFC Champion

I have no desire to play NFC teams at the cost of creating major differences in strength of schedules like we have now

10 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

There's nothing wrong with inter-conference games as they are IMO.  If anything I like them more if the league goes to 17 games since they'll have less relative impact.

i like it better when the NFC division the Bills play is garbage, which on paper it won't be next season

2 hours ago, wagon127 said:

Way to simple and unrealistic. Somebody suggested the best way to handle the 17th game, Is to play one team from the inter-conference division you played last year. Based on divisional standings. So if it went into effect this year (which it wont) we would play the cowboys again. I like this better.

I would do the following:

Same as current with the extra game being playing a second game against the same place finisher from the intra conference division we're already playing.  On this year's schedule we'd play the Broncos a second time with it being at home.

1 hour ago, jahbonas said:

Play your division twice as we do now = 6 games   +   play  11 of the 12  other AFC teams  = 17 games

Keeps schedules similar  - stops the ridiculous easy/hard schedule    - creates a true AFC Champion

I have no desire to play NFC teams at the cost of creating major differences in strength of schedules like we have now

I can go for this. Similar thinking as my original point. Lets eliminate the ridiculous easy vs hard schedule debate. Why do teams play completely different teams yet are compared to the same standings...makes no sense. As you state this way or my original suggestion would create a legit AFC champ bc all are on a more level playing field in terms of competition. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Rivalry's generate interest and money, this idea while balancing strength of schedule will NEVER happen.  It would suck big time.

What rivalries are you speaking off? The divisional rivalries? I am not aware of any AFC vs NFC rivalries that would be missed. Maybe some big games based on teams being good playing each other but not an ongoing rivalry.  But that is what the super bowl would be for. 

15 minutes ago, ngbills said:

What rivalries are you speaking off? The divisional rivalries? I am not aware of any AFC vs NFC rivalries that would be missed. Maybe some big games based on teams being good playing each other but not an ongoing rivalry.  But that is what the super bowl would be for. 

You dont know of any rivalries in the NFL?  You dont know if they are divisional or cross conference?

• Thank you (+1) 1

For the 17th games, make them all inter conference games.  On even years, the AFC are all home teams, and on odd years, the NFC are all home teams. That way there’s no advantage within the conferences for home/away on that extra game. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WotAGuy said:

For the 17th games, make them all inter conference games.  On even years, the AFC are all home teams, and on odd years, the NFC are all home teams. That way there’s no advantage within the conferences for home/away on that extra game. 

cannot afford to get away from those 4 cakewalks against the Jets and Fish, what if they turned into 4 games against real teams?

Edited by row_33

Just now, row_33 said:

cannot afford to get away from those 4 cakewalks against the Jets and Fish, what if they turned into 4 games against real teams?

This is just for the 17th game.  The schedule layout remains as is for the other 16 games.