Expected Comp Picks

BillsMafi$

21 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Uh Oh, he we go.

This will get ugly fast!

Nothing to get upset about.

Yeah, comp picks are very important, and the good teams over the long term work towards earning them. But last year we had very few FAs we let go, having just rebuilt and gotten rid of most of the guys reaching the end of contract signed during the Whaley years. And we brought in a bunch of FAs, having had a ton of cap money and a lot of holes to fill on the OL and at WR and a few more spots besides.

They know comp picks are important, they've made it clear. As they start having more of the guys they signed reach the end of contracts, we should start to see this be something to look towards.

20 hours ago, Logic said:

I'd be willing to bet that the people who complain that we never get compensatory picks are the same people who will be complaining once the Bills stop being active in free agency periods (which is what it will take to start getting comp picks).

Grass is always greener on the other side.

For what it's worth, I do believe that, as the years go on, Beane will be looking to start collecting comp picks. It's hard to do so during a complete tear-down and rebuild. Now that the rebuilding effort is nearing its latter stages, though, I expect less free agency activity and more comp picks in years to come.

not always.

if you are working the system there are plenty of teams that all else equal will sign the guy that was cut instead of expiring contracts, and then likewise in August keep a guy that’ll be an expiring contract for them 

19 hours ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

Very few of the comp picks work out.  Dak Prescott being the most notable exception. 

Tom Brady.

Our own Kurt Coleman.

James Conner. Aaron Jones. Marion Mack. Juszczyk. Mike Daniels. Dak. Jonnu Smith, Enumwa,  Glowinski, Elandon Roberts, Pernell McPhee.

Not to mention you can trade 'em.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Comp picks were meant to compensate the poor teams that lost players to rich teams. That is not the way the system is working, I still think it should be abolished.

I'm not a huge fan of it either but if they keep it I wish they would abolish the 3rd round designations.

I hate watching all these day 2 draft comp picks at the end of the 3rd.

All comps would be starting in the 4th if I were King.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/21/2020 at 2:48 PM, Mark Vader said:

Early?

I'd say that this discussion is on par for this board.

Things are looking bright though.

Teams can place franchise tags on players starting Monday.

The NFL Combine starts next week.

We're 26 days away from free agency.

Gonna win the offseason, I can just feel it!

• Haha (+1) 1

On 2/21/2020 at 1:35 PM, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Uh Oh, he we go.

This will get ugly fast!

Yeah, but I suspect the narrative will change, starting next season. We’ll likely have 2 picks then and more in the following years as we get better and young stars get their 2nd contracts, meaning we’ll lose quality FA’s. Mo’ rarified air for Bills fans to breathe.

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yeah, but I suspect the narrative will change, starting next season. We’ll likely have 2 picks then and more in the following years as we get better and young stars get their 2nd contracts, meaning we’ll lose quality FA’s. Mo’ rarified air for Bills fans to breathe.

So who do figure we're losing to net us +2 next year.  Where was Phillips drafted?  Could lose a #1 in Shaq.  Can we get anything for not resigning Gore?

The system is a year behind on comp picks correct.  So who we gain/lose this off season is what determines extra picks in 2021??

6 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

It really doesn't matter since compensatory picks can't be traded.

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So who do figure we're losing to net us +2 next year.  Where was Phillips drafted?  Could lose a #1 in Shaq.  Can we get anything for not resigning Gore?

The system is a year behind on comp picks correct.  So who we gain/lose this off season is what determines extra picks in 2021??

With the cap space the Bills have - and the cash they’re required to spend- I just don’t see them having a net loss of FAs this off-season. 

This needs to be fixed in the next CBA. These teams keep the players they really want and get draft compensation for the guys they are ok losing.

Why should the Steelers and Ravens get draft picks because the Jets gave out two bad contracts?

Im ok with comp picks so long as teams can’t control a players rights once his contract expires (like every other sport). 

10 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

This needs to be fixed in the next CBA. These teams keep the players they really want and get draft compensation for the guys they are ok losing.

Why should the Steelers and Ravens get draft picks because the Jets gave out two bad contracts?

Im ok with comp picks so long as teams can’t control a players rights once his contract expires (like every other sport). 

I was really surprised when comp picks came into existence.  That’s a whole extra round - 32 players - that get drafted rather than have a say in which team they play for.

Comp picks do help the “Haves” to somewhat counterbalance their FA losses.  I’d love to see the Bills get to a point where they are one of those teams and I’d hate for them to be eliminated about the time that happens.  

Comp picks should only be viable and handed out to teams who experience a .500 or worse Win-Loss record the following year. Teams like the Pats*** getting 3 or 4 extra mid-round picks per year because they refuse to pay a FA is stupid. It always has been.  

On 2/21/2020 at 1:34 PM, Jamie Nails said:

Let me save everyone time: We don't have any for the 11 billionth year in a row. 

I mean - we traded a lot of players before contracts ended.  If phillips, lawson, johnson and spain all sign market deals we'd be in line for a couple in 2021.  Depends if buffalo retains any, or where the replacement players contracts fall on the salary scale.  

Would you rather cut murphy and keep lawson, or keep murphy and get say a 4th round pick in 2021?  Targeting players who are cut also allows you to get your comp picks.  Or trading for players that teams are considering cutting due to salary cap constraints.  

12 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

With the cap space the Bills have - and the cash they’re required to spend- I just don’t see them having a net loss of FAs this off-season. 

The only way it would work is if all 4 of our free agents sign elsewhere, and buffalo only say signs 2 big deal free agents.  Meanwhile they extend milano, white, and maybe poyer.  

They'd still hit a net loss of 4-2.  I wouldn't focus on it unless one or 2 get above market deals though.  I'm not limiting my team because i might get a 2021 6th round pick.  You won't get the 3rd unless they're in the top 10 of contracts, and they wont be.  

• Like (+1) 1