Expected Comp Picks

BillsMafi$

3 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Early?

I'd say that this discussion is on par for this board.

Things are looking bright though.

Teams can place franchise tags on players starting Monday.

The NFL Combine starts next week.

We're 26 days away from free agency.

Well in that case, WHY ARE WE STARTING THIS DISCUSSION SO LATE?!? Mods asleep at the wheeeeeeeel!!

Beane and McD blew the comp pick when they let Gilmore walk. They could have had an extra 3rd round pick just by cutting a couple of bums towards the end of the year. 

They will not be in a position to get a comp pick this year or next. Even if they let J.Phillips and Lawson walk they will sign guys to replace them. It will be very difficult to be net negative when they only have a few guys that will be leaving.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

For what it's worth, I do believe that, as the years go on, Beane will be looking to start collecting comp picks. It's hard to do so during a complete tear-down and rebuild. Now that the rebuilding effort is nearing its latter stages, though, I expect less free agency activity and more comp picks in years to come.

It's funny to listen to the fans talk about an issue like this.   Does anyone think it's even remotely possible that Beane somehow doesn't know about compensatory picks?   Like, he's an NFL GM and somehow he has a blind spot and doesn't understand the concept.  

In fact, Beane addressed this issue in a press conference after the season ended.   He said, in so many words, that he expects to be a comp pick beneficiary in 2021, which is the first year when the roster will be good enough to create in other teams enough interest in the Bills' free agents.    I thought his comment was interesting because it sounded like he thought it was a softball question.  His answer essentially said "of course I have the comp pick situation under control, next question."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Can't really blame the current front office.   Getting compensatory picks requires two things:

1.  Having your own free agents sign high dollar contracts with other teams

2.  Not really being active in free agency

Last year, our crop of free agents were mostly from the Doug Whaley era. 

So you can't blame Brandon Beane if none of them were good enough to sign big contracts.  Even if we weren't active in free agency, it's unlikely we would have gotten comp picks back anyway.

It will probably take a few years to completely turn this train around.  But I believe we will eventually get to a place where comp picks are common.

8 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Can't really blame the current front office.   Getting compensatory picks requires two things:

1.  Having your own free agents sign high dollar contracts with other teams

2.  Not really being active in free agency

Last year, our crop of free agents were mostly from the Doug Whaley era. 

So you can't blame Brandon Beane if none of them were good enough to sign big contracts.  Even if we weren't active in free agency, it's unlikely we would have gotten comp picks back anyway.

John Miller’s contract would have qualified for a comp pick

Well, I guess people would have preferred that the Bills not rebuild their OL and WR and secondary last  year via free agency, and instead counted on comp picks this year.  That certainly would have been a brilliant strategy.  

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

It's funny to listen to the fans talk about an issue like this.   Does anyone think it's even remotely possible that Beane somehow doesn't know about compensatory picks?   Like, he's an NFL GM and somehow he has a blind spot and doesn't understand the concept.  

In fact, Beane addressed this issue in a press conference after the season ended.   He said, in so many words, that he expects to be a comp pick beneficiary in 2021, which is the first year when the roster will be good enough to create in other teams enough interest in the Bills' free agents.    I thought his comment was interesting because it sounded like he thought it was a softball question.  His answer essentially said "of course I have the comp pick situation under control, next question."

Thanks for injecting some intelligence to this conversation.  

4 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Why?

Just because it hasn’t worked much for the Bills in the past few years?

Beane is smart enough to play this game... just give him another year..... 

Like the officials it’s just another thing that can become corrupt and abused. I also think it should start in the 5th rd, there are still very good players available at the end of the 3rd rd and the 4th rd of the draft feels like the 5th rd after 20 or so 3rd rd comp picks.