Expected Comp Picks

BillsMafi$

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Meh I am ok with it....we have limited spots on this roster at this point anyway

Yea this roster is so good how could we possibly have room? Especially offensively. We are all set with upper echelon talent across the board. Who needs competition?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jpsredemption said:

Yea this roster is so good how could we possibly have room? Especially offensively. We are all set with upper echelon talent across the board. Who needs competition?

JP

Do you honestly not expect those holes to be filled with 90 million in cap space and our current draft picks?

Look at how many players we ALREADY have under contract....its one of the highest in the league.

We are crying over what.....a late round pick maybe?

• Like (+1) 2

We are not allowed to have comp picks, it’s a rule..... ?

• Haha (+1) 1

We're still in the building phase and accumulating talent, so of course we don't have any.

6 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

No, you get comp picks when your roster is good (and expensive) and you let talent walk. Our roster isn't to that point yet.

• Like (+1) 4

I'd be willing to bet that the people who complain that we never get compensatory picks are the same people who will be complaining once the Bills stop being active in free agency periods (which is what it will take to start getting comp picks).

Grass is always greener on the other side.

For what it's worth, I do believe that, as the years go on, Beane will be looking to start collecting comp picks. It's hard to do so during a complete tear-down and rebuild. Now that the rebuilding effort is nearing its latter stages, though, I expect less free agency activity and more comp picks in years to come.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Logic said:

I'd be willing to bet that the people who complain that we never get compensatory picks are the same people who will be complaining once the Bills stop being active in free agency periods (which is what it will take to start getting comp picks).

For what it's worth, I do believe that, as the years go on, Beane will be looking to start collecting comp picks. It's hard to do so during a complete tear-down and rebuild. Now that the rebuilding effort is nearing its latter stages, though, I expect less free agency activity and more comp picks in years to come.

I agree with this....especially when we have to start paying Franchise QB money......our drafts are going to become SUPER important then

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, MJS said:

We're still in the building phase and accumulating talent, so of course we don't have any.

No, you get comp picks when your roster is good (and expensive) and you let talent walk. Our roster isn't to that point yet.

Amazing how it seems so hard for people to understand that.

They are wanting to shape the roster just to get picks. 

24 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

JP

Do you honestly not expect those holes to be filled with 90 million in cap space and our current draft picks?

Look at how many players we ALREADY have under contract....its one of the highest in the league.

We are crying over what.....a late round pick maybe?

Sorry but this makes next to no sense.

By your logic, you  would we be happy if we were the only team in the NFL that didntpick up a bunch of UDRFA?  After all not even draft picks.  Of course you would be uspet, you are always looking for diamons ion the later rounds and UDRFA. More competition the better oh and pleayrs do get hurt as well.

24 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yeah, this isn’t the part of the rebuild where we could be expected to shed FAs.  We purged the roster and built up cap space reserves.  We’re spending on FAs for 2 or 3 seasons while this regime’s draft picks are under their rookie deals.  In another couple years we (hopefully) will be in a situation where we are shedding FAs that are being replaced by younger/better players.  We will earn our Comp picks then. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Sorry but this makes next to no sense.

By your logic, you  would we be happy if we were the only team in the NFL that didntpick up a bunch of UDRFA?  After all not even draft picks.  Of course you would be uspet, you are always looking for diamons ion the later rounds and UDRFA. More competition the better oh and pleayrs do get hurt as well.

Roy,

I of course would like more picks (who would not?)

What I am trying to say is

a.  Winning means more to me

b.  Winning teams (except for the friggen patriots who magically seem to get them every year) tend to sign their own......and therefore dont lose as many players to free agency at least that is the way I see it.

We are in EXCELLENT shape roster wise except for a few spots....and Beane has worked the team into shape to easily address them.

Edited by John from Riverside

34 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Starting early this year with this discussion, eh?

Early?

I'd say that this discussion is on par for this board.

Things are looking bright though.

Teams can place franchise tags on players starting Monday.

The NFL Combine starts next week.

We're 26 days away from free agency.