Car crash outside Montreal (200 vehicles)

\GoBillsInDallas/

you never know what can happen in one of these pileups, if a transport truck is behind you it was better to get out...

at the very least the surviving drivers will be treated to 4 consecutive Saturdays at the DMV watching safe driving movies

A small suggestion to the younger drivers:  anytime you get into something like this, get the 4 way flashers going when you first see traffic slowing down.  It might be just enough to warn the HUA drivers behind that something is up.  And in conditions like that, any CDL should know to be off the throttle.

5 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

A small suggestion to the younger drivers:  anytime you get into something like this, get the 4 way flashers going when you first see traffic slowing down.  It might be just enough to warn the HUA drivers behind that something is up.  And in conditions like that, any CDL should know to be off the throttle.

a sudden flare up of snow or fog on a busy highway is unpredictable and incredibly fatal

this occurred on a stretch that i was routinely on at the same time for many weekends, glad to miss that day

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Ontario_Highway_401_crash

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

People that get out of their cars immediately are no smarter than an ant. Stay in there until more cars pile up behind you, creating a buffer.

Actually, ants MAY be smarter........

The video showed cars plowing into the pile-up, hitting cars 10 layers deep. One was a semi-tractor trailer. For sure it’s best to get out of the car as soon as safely possible. My father is up in QB right now and they’ve been covering it a lot. He said a good many people got stuck inside their cars for 6 hours+ because all of their doors were pinned in by wreckage.

1 hour ago, UConn James said:

The video showed cars plowing into the pile-up, hitting cars 10 layers deep. One was a semi-tractor trailer. For sure it’s best to get out of the car as soon as safely possible. My father is up in QB right now and they’ve been covering it a lot. He said a good many people got stuck inside their cars for 6 hours+ because all of their doors were pinned in by wreckage.

you have no idea what is ahead or behind

people with 20/20 hindsight will gladly tell you that you were foolish to get out or to stay in your vehicle, they take great pride in displaying this skill

1 minute ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Maybe there should be a poll on here if you should stay in the vehicle or get out in interstate pileups.

Worry about it if it happens 

But don’t try to change a tire on the shoulder of a major highway, 2 colleagues were killed unnecessarily

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Worry about it if it happens 

But don’t try to change a tire on the shoulder of a major highway, 2 colleagues were killed unnecessarily

I don't know the correct answer, was making light of the discussion. My condolences on your friends deaths. I blew a tire on I86 and was lucky to get to the shoulder. Got out of the Jeep and called AAA and got the hell behind the guardrail. Traffic sure moves a lot faster when your standing still.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I don't know the correct answer, was making light of the discussion. My condolences on your friends deaths. I blew a tire on I86 and was lucky to get to the shoulder. Got out of the Jeep and called AAA and got the hell behind the guardrail. Traffic sure moves a lot faster when your standing still.

I figured you were joining me in raising an eyebrow at the 20/20 hindsight assurance club on here for how to react when you have smashed into a 30 car chain on your hood and you can hear a dozen smash into a chain on your trunk....

smart to call AAA or tow it away from the danger for tire or other single car problems 

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

My sister and friends were in a snow storm pile up. They got out and went to the side over the guardrails. Shortly after a tractor trailer smashed into their car and totaled it.

If I was fine I’d get out and head forward to see if I could help others in need

• 2 weeks later...