Snacks released

13 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Interestingly, your post prompted me to look at Spotrac again to see Star's dead cap hit.  Prior to the restructure, 2021 was a potential out with a dead cap hit of around $2.1M, IIRC.  With the restructure, his dead cap hit is $7.7M in 2021, so Star is most likely here until 2022 (dead cap $2.6M), where he becomes a UFA in 2023; Beane committed to Star for another year, at least.  McD and Beane seem to really like Star.

I don't think that your recollection of Star's dead cap is correct.   Even without a restructure, his dead cap would have been at least $7.2 million after the 2020 season.   The only thing the restructure did was guarantee his spot on the roster in 2020, but at a much lower cash & cap cost to the team.  He'll probably take another pay-cut next offseason to stay on the team.

16 minutes ago, GG said:

Dareus and Poe are FA already?   What does Spotrac know that the rest of the league doesn't?

Spottrac has these cool little features you can toggle through to set search parameters. Feel free to use them if you want to eliminate “club options” from the search. I think it’s pretty nifty, but I’m all for letting other people do their own research into the matter. 

4 minutes ago, GG said:

I don't think that your recollection of Star's dead cap is correct.   Even without a restructure, his dead cap would have been at least $7.2 million after the 2020 season.   The only thing the restructure did was guarantee his spot on the roster in 2020, but at a much lower cash & cap cost to the team.  He'll probably take another pay-cut next offseason to stay on the team.

Are you sure about his dead cap hit after 2020?  I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a potential out note in spotrac for after the 2020 season, and thinking that Star will be a Bill in 2020 because it would have been prohibitive to cut him after the 2019 season.  The restructure guarantees Star's spot in 2021 with much lower cash and cap to the team in 2020 and somewhat lower in 2021.  Beane and McD committed to Star next season (2021) by doing the restructure.

12 hours ago, Augie said:

SNACKS???

Did someone ay Snacks? Somewhere, Karlos just came to attention! 

Too bad Rex is gone...we would be going after some ***** Snacks...

Edited by JoeF
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Are you sure about his dead cap hit after 2020?  I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a potential out note in spotrac for after the 2020 season, and thinking that Star will be a Bill in 2020 because it would have been prohibitive to cut him after the 2019 season.  The restructure guarantees Star's spot in 2021 with much lower cash and cap to the team in 2020 and somewhat lower in 2021.  Beane and McD committed to Star next season (2021) by doing the restructure.

I think the note was about a post 6/1 designation which would split the $7.2 mil dead cap between 2021 and 2022.   The same applies to this year's restructure, although I don't know why his dead cap went up from $7.2 to $7.7 in 2021.   Best guess is that they're assuming that Bills will pay him the $1 million roster bonus in March 2021.   I also don't think Spotrac is properly characterizing his guarantee for 2021 - They're counting $2.5 mil as fully guaranteed, but I believe the terms were only in case of injury.

But in the end, there's no difference in the terms of the cap impact next year to cut him.  

12 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

As much as I like the guy, Harrison Phillips has 21 tackles, 0.5 sacks and 2 PD in his career.

Meanwhile Jordan Phillips had 31 tackles and 9.5 sacks last year and is a FA.

Even if Jordan Phillips is a creation of the system, why would we not want to bring back guys who excel in the system?

TBD: "Ah he's not not that good. He only got 10 sacks because of the system he is in"

Me: "then convince him our system helps to make him productive since it is ours"

It's like rocket science

Lost in this is Horrible Harry missed an entire year of play.....and he was looking REALLY good before that injury

19 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Interestingly, your post prompted me to look at Spotrac again to see Star's dead cap hit.  Prior to the restructure, 2021 was a potential out with a dead cap hit of around $2.1M, IIRC.  With the restructure, his dead cap hit is $7.7M in 2021, so Star is most likely here until 2022 (dead cap $2.6M), where he becomes a UFA in 2023; Beane committed to Star for another year, at least.  McD and Beane seem to really like Star.

That makes a lot of sense.  Star took a cut in pay for the guarantee of being here - and paid - an additional season.  Each side had to get something in the deal.  

19 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Upon further review, I think Spotrac numbers are incorrect.   They're treating the $2.5 million injury guarantee as fully guaranteed salary for 2021, which would increase the dead cap next year.  I don't think that's how the extension works out.   

4 hours ago, GG said:

Upon further review, I think Spotrac numbers are incorrect.   They're treating the $2.5 million injury guarantee as fully guaranteed salary for 2021, which would increase the dead cap next year.  I don't think that's how the extension works out.   

I'm just going by what I saw from what is typically a good source.  If there is a better site for dead/cap hits, feel free to link it.

8 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

what’s that mean? 

agitator

someone tolerated as long as he is producing  and he’s given the bum’s rush the second he ain’t 

A different type of clubhouse poison is one where they shrug and say “that’s just Manny (Ramirez) being Manny” and the axe falls swiftly 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/20/2020 at 9:53 PM, Happy Gilmore said:

What he does won’t show up on the stat sheet.

12 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'm just going by what I saw from what is typically a good source.  If there is a better site for dead/cap hits, feel free to link it.

Spotrac is usually on the money.  I just think they made a mistake in this case.  

But if the injury guarantee does count against the cap next year even if Star isn't injured, then it will hurt Bills cap.  

Edited by GG