Snacks released

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

You could tell him that he's absolutely correct.

You could tell him there's a reason that the brain trust paid him that money and doubled down on keeping him longer, and that the reason is that he consistently does what the coaches want and need him to do.

You could also tell him that there seem to be a group of fans who don't like him but that they don't seem to get that what they feel is beside the point, that it's the coaches and the front office and what they feel that matters, not some group of fans with a weird grudge.

Snacks is also an above-average 1-tech. At his peak he was among the very best space-eaters in the game. He no longer seems to be at his peak, unfortunately. I've always loved how he plays.

Not so sure I agree with all of this.  My guess is that the brain trust doesn't want to address the 1-tech position at this time - maybe there is no FA or rookie in the draft that they're interested in right now.  So they stick to what they are comfortable with, and in the mean time we can only hope Corey Liuget or Vince Taylor steps up and takes rotation time away from Star.

My impression is that Star is supposed to be a space eater who stops the run.  There were a number of games where he failed to do this - Philly, first Miami game, Cleveland come to mind.  He doesn't usually occupy two linemen, in fact one usually has no problem pushing him out of the run lane.

It isn't a weird grudge...really.  You look at teams with great defensive lines, like SF, and Star wouldn't be a starter or see much in the way of game time rotation.

1 hour ago, gobills404 said:

Doing what you're supposed to do means you're an average player. Nobody said he's above average.

Sounds like you think the Bills should be looking for an upgrade...I agree.

So, some of you want to replace Star with someone who contemplated retirement and now says he'll "try" to play one more year, after an injury plagued year. ?. This Star hatred is ridiculous. Like it or not, saw it or not, he anchored our dline last year. Stop it already.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2020/02/20/detroit-lions-release-dt-damon-harrison-retirement/4826150002/

Edited by Dopey
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Dopey said:

So, some of you want to replace Star with someone who contemplated retirement and now says he'll try to play one more year, after an injury plagued year. ?. This Star hatred is ridiculous. Like it or not, saw it or not, he anchored our dline last year. Stop it already.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2020/02/20/detroit-lions-release-dt-damon-harrison-retirement/4826150002/

One person has said it

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

He's a much better version of Star.....whom the Bills seem to value. Why? Because he played for Carolina? Other then that, I have no idea. 

I’d sign this guy and release Star in a heartbeat.

Does Snacks relay as a better starter than Star in this defense?

Your initial supposition did not call out any specifics.

A better conversational starter would have been:

"I believe Snacks is an upgrade to Star L"

see....quite simple

Now that is a conversation starter that I will have to ponder, though at first glance I am not certain Snacks is a better 1 technique, but it's worthy of consideration.

41 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Yeah his name is Harrison Phillips.

As much as I like the guy, Harrison Phillips has 21 tackles, 0.5 sacks and 2 PD in his career.

Meanwhile Jordan Phillips had 31 tackles and 9.5 sacks last year and is a FA.

Even if Jordan Phillips is a creation of the system, why would we not want to bring back guys who excel in the system?

TBD: "Ah he's not not that good. He only got 10 sacks because of the system he is in"

Me: "then convince him our system helps to make him productive since it is ours"

It's like rocket science

Edited by RocCityRoller

3 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

As much as I like the guy, Harrison Phillips has 21 tackles, 0.5 sacks and 2 PD in his career.

Even if Jordan Phillips is a creation of the system, why would we not want to bring back guys who excel in the system?

TBD: "Ah he's not not that good. He only got 10 sacks because of the system he is in"

Me: "then convince him our system helps to make him productive since it is ours"

It's like rocket science

I was talking about Harry being an upgrade over Star at 1T since he was playing amazing before tearing his acl. No idea why you thought comparing his box score numbers to someone who mainly plays as a  3T was relevant.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

You could tell him that he's absolutely correct, or that more specifically he's an above-average space-eater.

I'd rather tell him Star gets shoved backwards and out of the run lane way too often to be considered a good 1. 

Fortunately his pay now isn't so awful as they work to make him a rotational backup.  ?‍♂️

5 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

It's like rocket science

Our one-year-wonder backup 3T will price himself off the team this offseason.  Not sure how Jordan is relevant to any of this.

Repeat - Jordan Philliips is a BACKUP on this team - at the price his stats will draw in the open market, he will be gone.  Don't even waste time picturing him on the 2020 Bills.

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

You could tell him that he's absolutely correct, or that more specifically he's an above-average space-eater.

You could tell him there's a reason that the brain trust paid him that money and doubled down on keeping him longer, and that the reason is that he consistently does what the coaches want and need him to do.

You could also tell him that there seem to be a group of fans who don't like him but that they don't seem to get that what they feel is beside the point, that it's the coaches and the front office and what they feel that matters, not some group of fans with a weird grudge.

Snacks is also an above-average 1-tech. At his peak he was among the very best space-eaters in the game. He no longer seems to be at his peak, unfortunately. I've always loved how he plays.

Lol the coaches strong armed Mr “Does His Job” into taking a paycut. If the coaches were happy about Star’s production, why did they make him take less money when we have $80M in cap space?

6 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

It's like rocket science

They play different positions, rocket surgeon.

Also, JP isn’t just a product of the system. He’s a product of fortuitous opportunity. Which may not rear its head again. 

9 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Yeah his name is Harrison Phillips.

We'll see.   Harrison isn't really built like a 1-tech, though, so I'm a little leery he can fulfill that role.  It was too bad he got injured early in the season.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Snacks is the last guy I’d be looking at in FA. DT might be the most talented and the deepest position group in FA this year. It’s one of the few spots where there’s a bevy of value signings for talented rotational guys. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/defensive-tackle/

Dareus and Poe are FA already?   What does Spotrac know that the rest of the league doesn't?