Sammy Haggar was a better lead singer for Van Halen than David Lee Roth

12 minutes ago, T&C said:

Who would some of the other best be? Just curious as to peoples tastes.

Scott Weiland

Layne Staley

Freddie Mercury (the best)

Robert Plant

Mick Jagger

Roger Daltry

Anthony Keidis

(just off the top of my head)

Edited by Gugny

32 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Just making a point how most rock singers wouldn’t be considered technically great by people in vocally centered genres like broadway and opera. I probably shouldn’t have mentioned such an unhip genre ? 

nobody in pop/rock is matching Melchior or Fischer-Dieskau

Edited by row_33

8 minutes ago, row_33 said:

nobody in pop/rock is matching Melchior or Fischer-Dieskau

Absolutely, that’s why in rock/pop music I always choose showmanship and songwriting ability over vocal ability. I rarely care how “good” a rock/pop vocalist is, because that’s low on the list of reasons I love the genre. I appreciate great singers (Ann Wilson is great) , but lesser vocals don’t take away from the listening experience imo. 

6 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Absolutely, that’s why in rock/pop music I always choose showmanship and songwriting ability over vocal ability. I rarely care how “good” a rock/pop vocalist is, because that’s low on the list of reasons I love the genre. I appreciate great singers (Ann Wilson is great) , but lesser vocals don’t take away from the listening experience imo. 

sometimes i like comic books and sometimes i like reading Shakespeare

James King, to me, was the best I saw live, Smith's last entry was added since the last time I saw this youtube video, sounds enhanced or overdubbed for his last stretch there...

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

For me, lesser voices can also add to the listening experience, although I do have my limits.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SinceThe70s said:

For me, lesser voices can also add to the listening experience, although I do have my limits.

we know what we like

part of growing up in the 60s and 70s was being inflicted with a ton of horrible top 40 songs, that obviously were only played due to bribery, helped us build tolerance and appreciation for what we really like

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I never thought of it that way, but’s it’s true. Rock music was built on the blues, it’s all about soul and human emotion. The imperfections are what made classic rock music connect so deeply. Other genres often sound too mechanical and perfect to my ears. Much of today’s pop/rock music has also become emotionless with the ability of technology to make everything flawless. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I never thought of it that way, but’s it’s true. Rock music was built on the blues, it’s all about soul and human emotion. The imperfections are what made classic rock music connect so deeply. Other genres often sound too mechanical and perfect to my ears. Much of today’s pop/rock music has also become emotionless with the ability of technology to make everything flawless. 

my top pop voices are Lennon, Garcia and Dylan.

their content helps as well, and usual world outlook

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, row_33 said:

my top pop voices are Lennon, Garcia and Dylan.

their content helps as well, and usual world outlook

Dylan?  DYLAN?!

I'd replace him with Morrison.  And just about anyone else, for that matter.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Dylan?  DYLAN?!

I'd replace him with Morrison.  And just about anyone else, for that matter.

it's an acquired taste, a strange and long and varying career for which one is forgiven for hating Dylan for many albums

nobody has been around this long and this widely stretched

who else gave us a two-record set basically telling all fans to FOAD?

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, row_33 said:

okay Hagar fans, what compares to this in full context?  as in they seem to have a great time goofing around as well as high-level performance

this is just the first of 2 dozen, by the way....

there is no possible way to play these tunes too loud

Too true. 

'One break - coming up!!!' The whole exchange is cheesy as hell but somehow David Lee made it work in a big way.

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Too true. 

'One break - coming up!!!' The whole exchange is cheesy as hell but somehow David Lee made it work in a big way.

They were America’s Favourite Party Band at the time

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Their first album through 1984 took me from senior public school to high school graduation, a good soundtrack band for a lot of fun times

By 1984 they were losing relevance for me. 

But Hot For Teacher and Drop Dead Legs kept me interested. "I don't feel tardy" 

• Haha (+1) 1

I think this is the same argument as with AC/DC.

Saying Sammy is better than DLR is like saying Brian Johnson is than Bon Scott.

While Sammy and Brian are great in their own right, DLR is and always will be known as the front man for VH, while Bon Scott is simply one of the greatest front men who ever lived for any type of music in the history of music.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Facts and revisionisms... AC/DC with Bon only got going in North America with the Highway to Hell album,

DDDDC debuted here, 5 years after release in Oz, only after his death and Back in Black was a proven top seller, a bizarre and macabre move for which we are grateful now

And they chopped up DD for the US album compared to the 5-year-old imports a few friends had gone out of their way to purchase 

just reading that Jailbreak and it’s video only got play over here starting in 1984

A postmortem cracking of the US market

Edited by row_33

8 hours ago, row_33 said:

it's an acquired taste, a strange and long and varying career for which one is forgiven for hating Dylan for many albums

nobody has been around this long and this widely stretched

who else gave us a two-record set basically telling all fans to FOAD?

I feel the same way about Neil Young's voice.  I love it and could listen to it all day (acoustic stuff).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1