Sammy Haggar was a better lead singer for Van Halen than David Lee Roth

Just now, Lurker said:

Agreed.   Especially as they got older.   

Sammy still puts on a killer show, while Dave **** the bed in the last time I saw him with VH in Buffalo (he was totally not into it and really pissed me off)...

He opened for Kiss here a few weeks ago and was apparently atrocious.  

3 minutes ago, bbb said:

He opened for Kiss here a few weeks ago and was apparently atrocious.  

It was 2012 when I saw DLR  with VR and he sucked then.   I can only imagine how much further he's fallen.

OTOH, I saw Sammy last summer at Artpark and it was one of the best concerts I've caught there.     I kept commenting to my wife about how strong his voice and energy level were for a 72 year old... 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

It was 2012 when I saw DLR  with VR and he sucked then.   I can only imagine how much further he's fallen.

OTOH, I saw Sammy last summer at Artpark and it was one of the best concerts I've caught there.     I kept commenting to my wife about how strong his voice and energy level were for a 72 year old... 

i saw Sammy open for Boston at the Aud in 78 or 79.  Never heard of him, but he stole the show!  

Van Halen with DLR was an “in your face” rock band.  Guitar heavy, screaming vocals.

Van Halen with Sammy was more about musicianship and content.  Prefer them with Sammy.

Saw Sammy at Fallsview a few years back with his band “The Circle”.  Amazing show!  Can’t wait to see him in July at Seneca Niagara. 

I think many have summed it up here

Hagar was the better lead singer of the 2

But Roth was the better Frontman

And the music from the 2 of them was different. With Hagar the 'quality' of the songs was better, but the music was more 'fun' with Roth. He seemed like more of the natural 'crazy' rock band frontman

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

One of the cleanest pieces of vinyl I own, and I got it for $1. This album is amazing.

Back to the OP.......  @Royale with Cheese is always ready for a fiery take. And has brought out the music aficionados in full force. 

My opinion is, VH is a lot like AC/DC. Different bands once the singers changed. I like them equally but it's hard to choose one vs. the other. Brian Johnson was the ONLY person who could replace Bon Scott, and that's due to the voice. Sammy had a better singing voice than Roth, but the band sounded ruthless under his tenure.

6 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

One of the cleanest pieces of vinyl I own, and I got it for $1. This album is amazing.

Back to the OP.......  @Royale with Cheese is always ready for a fiery take. And has brought out the music aficionados in full force. 

My opinion is, VH is a lot like AC/DC. Different bands once the singers changed. I like them equally but it's hard to choose one vs. the other. Brian Johnson was the ONLY person who could replace Bon Scott, and that's due to the voice. Sammy had a better singing voice than Roth, but the band sounded ruthless under his tenure.

You want to know my music knowledge?  I didn't know AC/DC had two singers.

• Haha (+1) 1

I prefer Roth as the stereotypical party rock band frontman. That edition of Van Halen was the ultimate party rock band that paved the way for countless imitations. Van Hagar was a good pop/rock band that would be remembered as such, but that version of Van Halen wouldn’t have been enough to elevate the Van Halen name to the status it has today. Also, the musical direction that Eddie took with Hagar appeals to me less than that he took with Roth. Eddie Van Halen the guitarist > Eddie Van Halen the keyboard player. Van Hagar produced some great tunes, but I also have a tough time dealing with garbage like Love Walks In. 

like with many bands, it is hard to compare early raw stuff to a later much more polished sound that emerges. i am a fan of early Hagar (Montrose) and a fan of early Van Halen. same with bands like Rush, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, their early raw sounds completely blows away the later more polished stuff.  it is simply hard to make an apples to apples comparison in this regard.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Look at their hair.  You're telling me Roth is better?  By the way, this pic is both of them at 25 years old.

Image result for david lee roth hair

Image result for Sammy Haggar

roth is far, far better.  not that hagar is bad, i just prefer the van halen with roth.