Sammy Haggar was a better lead singer for Van Halen than David Lee Roth

31 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

M-m-m-m-my Van Cherona?

I never heard of that guy before this thread.

I heard of him when he was in Extreme (“More then words”). Had a great guitarist there too named Nuno Bettencourt. 

Bringing in Sammy probably extended VH's lifespan by a few LP's  If you listen to the demos that Gene Simmons produced for them in 1976/77 every single big song riff Eddie had already.  I think he really struggled coming up with new stuff and the Van Hagar era is dominated by Sammy compositions. If I have my druthers I prefer the first Montrose album and fair Warning over everything else.  Heck that last one with Roth back was all old unused tunes.

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

I heard of him when he was in Extreme (“More then words”). Had a great guitarist there too named Nuno Bettencourt. 

Well thanks for that, had no idea. But I couldn't stand Extreme and that song in particular, can't imagine I would have liked Van Cherone, but I never heard them so who knows.

Back on topic Dave VH >>>> Sam

10 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

Bringing in Sammy probably extended VH's lifespan by a few LP's  If you listen to the demos that Gene Simmons produced for them in 1976/77 every single big song riff Eddie had already.  I think he really struggled coming up with new stuff and the Van Hagar era is dominated by Sammy compositions. If I have my druthers I prefer the first Montrose album and fair Warning over everything else.  Heck that last one with Roth back was all old unused tunes.

Could have.  Their last album was great though, with a lot of good songs.  It's like how I believe Queen could have still kept making good music since their last album was amazing as well.

10 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Well thanks for that, had no idea. But I couldn't stand Extreme and that song in particular, can't imagine I would have liked Van Cherone, but I never heard them so who knows.

I wasn't a big fan of them either.  But I appreciated NB's talent. 

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1