Sammy Haggar was a better lead singer for Van Halen than David Lee Roth

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

I feel the same way about Neil Young's voice.  I love it and could listen to it all day (acoustic stuff).

Neil didn’t jump from 

finger-pointing songs to

Electric to

a decade of cowboy songs, some of it deliberately a cruel joke on fans to

born again stuff to 

whatever he wants the last 30 years...

Edited by row_33

21 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Neil didn’t jump from 

finger-pointing songs to

Electric to

a decade of cowboy songs, some of it deliberately a cruel joke on fans to

born again stuff to 

whatever he wants the last 30 years...

I was strictly referring to Neil Young's voice.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I was strictly referring to Neil Young's voice.

I was steeped in it as Harvest and After the Gold Rush were played constantly in the home

Content and message has to play some part, a few of us are more into music than  because it has a good beat and you can dance to it

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

I was steeped in it as Harvest and After the Gold Rush were played constantly in the home

Content and message has to play some part, a few of us are more into music than  because it has a good beat and you can dance to it

Those are my two favorite albums.  After the Gold Rush is one of my summertime staples.  I'll listen to the whole album back-to-back on many evenings on the deck.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Those are my two favorite albums.  After the Gold Rush is one of my summertime staples.  I'll listen to the whole album back-to-back on many evenings on the deck.

The Decade compilation has been my choice the last 20 years

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/27/2020 at 9:51 PM, row_33 said:

it's an acquired taste, a strange and long and varying career for which one is forgiven for hating Dylan for many albums

nobody has been around this long and this widely stretched

who else gave us a two-record set basically telling all fans to FOAD?

Absolutely no one could touch Dylan's timing + phrasing in his singing at his best.

On 2/28/2020 at 10:32 AM, row_33 said:

So many favs, but after all these years later, my #1 Neil album is On The Beach.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Rico said:

So many favs, but after all these years later, my #1 Neil album is On The Beach.

I haven't taken this whole album in.  I will be, soon.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

i won't enforce the release where he showed up at Maple Leaf Gardens for a set with just Neil and some funk-box electronic gizmo.....  :(

On 2/27/2020 at 9:46 PM, Doc said:

Dylan?  DYLAN?!

I'd replace him with Morrison.  And just about anyone else, for that matter.

Yeah Dylan, someone half my age asked where to begin listening to him, I didn't have an answer offhand, it might be held against me.

Morrison was a great voice, unfortunately didn't have a creative writing partner and self-destructed.

and Burton Cummings had a better voice than Jim, especially for his filler acid trip songs imitating The Doors, such as....

And his soul left his body and went down down down
To a place we laughingly refer to as hell
But none of us will ever go there because we're all far too groovy

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

i won't enforce the release where he showed up at Maple Leaf Gardens for a set with just Neil and some funk-box electronic gizmo.....  :(

Yeah Dylan, someone half my age asked where to begin listening to him, I didn't have an answer offhand, it might be held against me.

Morrison was a great voice, unfortunately didn't have a creative writing partner and self-destructed.

and Burton Cummings had a better voice than Jim, especially for his filler acid trip songs imitating The Doors, such as....

I would've liked to see what would've happened if Iggy didn't turn down the gig with the Doors as Morrison's replacement, at least live. Light years better as a front man.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

Side 2 (starting with OTB) is my fav from anyone for very late, late night chill tunes.

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

Like the Doors... The Guess Who... The Grassroots... all different animals though. Jim apparently had a shelf life, Burton lived on. Steppenwolf hardly gets a mention these days. Monster for instance.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/29/2020 at 5:59 PM, Rico said:

Absolutely no one could touch Dylan's timing + phrasing in his singing at his best.

Took it for a ride tonight.  Loved it.  Thanks for the tip, man!

• 2 weeks later...

Asked a friend about the best frontman, immediate reply was the man in front for 5 #1 hits, practically in a row, all of them with “live” appearance video which you will recall immediately if you were around at the time,.. Harry Wayne Casey

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

red rocker was better solo imo

diamond dave was the only lead singer for me when it came to van halen. I really did not listen to them when sammy came aboard and definitely didn't when they had  cherone fronting the band.

I agree. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a Van Cherone song. 

• Like (+1) 1