CeeDee Lamb or bust.

ScorpionZero

On 2/20/2020 at 8:43 PM, Haplo848 said:

This is very different.  Julio Jones was a better prospect than Lamb.  More importantly, the OTHER draft prospects are incredibly different.  We have probably THE deepest WR class there has ever been coming up this year.  Even if you don't get the top two, you're still probably going to get high impact starters throughout the first two to three rounds of the draft.  In Julio's draft class?  Not so much.  There was him and A.J. Green, then...no one.  The next WR off the board?  Jonathon Baldwin went to the Chiefs at 26.  Titus Young was the fourth WR off the board to the Lions at 44.  Other than Torrey Smith and Randall Cobb who went in the late 2nd round, and who were never great, but more role players, there's not a single other good WR in the draft other than those top 2.  If you did not get one of the top 2 WRs, you essentially didn't get a WR at all in that draft.  

Now, if you look at that and still think "Hmm, we should STILL pull a Falcons and make a desperation trade that we hope will work out in order to get one of the top two WR prospects  of the class, when there are PLENTY of slightly lesser prospects" then there's really no hope for you as a scout, and I'm glad you're not part of the Bills' organization.  Keep in mind that it's not "top two WRs," but "top two WR prospects."  There's a definite difference between the two that a lot of people forget.

You may be right, but what were they saying about the chiefs when they traded the farm. Bold moves make greatness. 

As the draft went on, Trubisky ended up being the only quarterback to be selected in the first nine picks, and the Buffalo Bills were put on the clock at No. 10 overall. The Chiefs then decided to make a bold move, and trade their first-round pick (No. 27 overall), their third-round pick (No. 91 overall) and their 2018 first-round pick to acquire No. 10 overall. Many thought the Chiefs were moving up for the two-time Heisman Trophy finalist and college football champion Watson. They were wrong.

and who was that pick ? 

Lamb is the kind of player that can transform an offense, and just because it's a deep draft doesn't mean you don't try and get someone like that. Besides since what you all say about this being such a deep draft, why not double dip. Our defense can be upgraded in free agency and because of our defense and coaches, we're given the luxury of having an offensive draft (no pun intended). Grabbing trautman or Harrison Bryant at TE in the third and edge in the 4th. While still having the capital to move up and get a running back and a LB. Work the draft, don't let it work you. Or in layman's terms "don't be a *****". 

I'm curious why so many think that because it's a deep draft that you don't make bold moves, are you afraid of getting burned. You all sound like you've been ***** over in a relationship, oh no smutty Watkins cheated on me it's just gonna happen again. I'll just cower in the corner and hope the next hot chick doesn't ***** me over. No balls, no glory mofos. I for one won't let the past dictate my future. We whiffed on QB's in the first, we whiffed on wideouts, and oh GOD did we wiff  on edge. But this isn't the same old dueshes in charge anymore. I know you'll say zay  was drafted by McD. but that was before Beane and the full crew. If you want greatness you have to get past the heartbreaks and dream for something more. Grab your future by the gonads and submit it to your will.  It's like you believe that the past always repeats itself, but that's only if you let it. 

Edited by ScorpionZero

This feels a little like the “Jeffismagic loves a certain QB” version of WR drafting. 

It may or may not be right in the end, but eventually the point is made and we will all see. I hope this remains reasonable. 

• Like (+1) 1

It is strange to me how some people get a fixation on one guy in the draft...

I remember last year someone had a massive hard on for N’Keal Harry..

I liked him as well, but 12 months later I am glad the Bills never drafted him as high as he went..

Edited by Aussie Joe

56 minutes ago, ScorpionZero said:

Y'all still think we shouldn't do whatever it takes to get Lamb. After yesterday's combine im even more sold on the fact that he can transform an offense as much as a quarterback. 

No.

Lots of excellent WR prospects in this draft. No need to waste draft capitol to move up.

The Bills don't need a transformation talent, they need someone who is a threat as a number 3 WR. Plenty of those in this draft.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

No.

Lots of excellent WR prospects in this draft. No need to waste draft capitol to move up.

The Bills don't need a transformation talent, they need someone who is a threat as a number 3 WR. Plenty of those in this draft.

I agree with the depth, but that's more reason to get an alpha like Lamb. And add a claypool, mims, golden, Johnson, v Jefferson, later. The offense would be ferocious. 

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

I couldn't disagree more. An alpha #1 WR is exactly what this team needs. We need that more than we need next year's 1st IMO.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ScorpionZero said:

I agree with the depth, but that's more reason to get an alpha like Lamb. And add a claypool, mims, golden, Johnson, v Jefferson, later. The offense would be ferocious. 

If you were to move up you likely wouldn’t be able to get any of those guys.  It’ll likely be trading into the top 12.

i love lamb as much as you.  I just don’t know if they’ll make that move.  

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

If you were to move up you likely wouldn’t be able to get any of those guys.  It’ll likely be trading into the top 12.

i love lamb as much as you.  I just don’t know if they’ll make that move.  

I recall lots of folks lambasting the Falcons when they moved up for Julio Jones. If you believe Lamb is that kind of WR, he's absolutely worth the price. Whether Beane & Co are willing and able to pull off that kind of trade, as you say, is another matter.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I recall lots of folks lambasting the Falcons when they moved up for Julio Jones. If you believe Lamb is that kind of WR, he's absolutely worth the price. Whether Beane & Co are willing and able to pull off that kind of trade, as you say, is another matter.

Idk....I think others are pretty dam good too.  I think I’d rather have Jefferson and next years first plus and other pick.  3 team friendly contract building blocks with one possibly being a superstar WR.  Tough call, but I like this years WRs too much, even though Lamb is the twinkle in my eye

Edit:  for the record, if we happen to trade up for him.....I’ll be extremely fired up

Edited by NewEra

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Idk....I think others are pretty dam good too.  I think I’d rather have Jefferson and next years first plus and other pick.  3 team friendly contract building blocks with one possibly being a superstar WR.  Tough call, but I like this years WRs too much, even though Lamb is the twinkle in my eye

Yeah, that's the prudential calculation. Does one think Lamb is a "transcendent WR" that justifies such a price. I put it in the subjunctive, because I don't know, but I think he might be that guy.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/20/2020 at 4:50 PM, ScorpionZero said:

You don't remember all the prognosticators calling the Falcons nuts for moving up to draft Jones. How is this any different. 

Jones was in a different league. Not a worthy comparison, if you ask me. Plus I think in the end it was tough for them to overcome giving up so much draft capital.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Yeah, that's the prudential calculation. Does one think Lamb is a "transcendent WR" that justifies such a price. I put it in the subjunctive, because I don't know, but I think he might be that guy.

I think he’ll be in the discussion for best WR every season with a chance at becoming the undisputed best.  That will likely be determined by his QB

5 hours ago, ScorpionZero said:

Y'all still think we shouldn't do whatever it takes to get Lamb. After yesterday's combine im even more sold on the fact that he can transform an offense as much as a quarterback. 

Pretty sure a single catch in shorts at the combine is not going to raise or lower anyone's stock.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Pretty sure a single catch in shorts at the combine is not going to raise or lower anyone's stock.

He just did something that no other WRs at the combine could do imo.  I believe he surpassed jeudy and is the undisputed #1 wr in this class now

• Like (+1) 1

Here's the thing with giving up draft capital, ask yourself when's the best time to do that for your offense. Of course your defense dictates that, when they're as good as they are, now's the time to capitalize. This is the perfect year to take the hit and have laser beem focus on making your team better. Allen growing with Lamb, you couldn't ask for better. And if we're not going to move up to get him then I say trade back twice picking up 2 extra 2nds and a 3rd. The meat of the draft is in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, so the more picks you have the better. These 2 scenarios are the only way I won't slap McBeane upside their *****.

1 minute ago, ScorpionZero said:

Here's the thing with giving up draft capital, ask yourself when's the best time to do that for your offense. Of course your defense dictates that, when they're as good as they are, now's the time to capitalize. This is the perfect year to take the hit and have laser beem focus on making your team better. Allen growing with Lamb, you couldn't ask for better. And if we're not going to move up to get him then I say trade back twice picking up 2 extra 2nds and a 3rd. The meat of the draft is in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, so the more picks you have the better. These 2 scenarios are the only way I won't slap McBeane upside their *****.

Beane will do whatever he wants and whatever he thinks will make the team better without sacrificing the future. There are countless scenarios to achieve that besides the two extreme options you provided.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

He just did something that no other WRs at the combine could do imo.  I believe he surpassed jeudy and is the undisputed #1 wr in this class now

Jump and catch a football without defenders and without wearing pads and a helmet?

On 2/20/2020 at 6:33 PM, ScorpionZero said:

I believe that we must do whatever it takes to get him for our offense. Because of his ability everyone becomes better. Brown opens up underneath, Knox has space to operate, beasly can work those outs as well as the out and ups. And Singletary won't have 8 in the box because lamb will command a corner and safety on every down. It will cost allot to do it but to have him here to grow with Josh would be the *****. Our 1st,2nd, and next year's 1st. Should get it done plus we can add Mims or Pittman in the third. This year's draft needs to be all about offense. Now you may crucifie me. 

you would trade that much for 1 player?