CeeDee Lamb or bust.

ScorpionZero

7 hours ago, Billl said:

So the best way to find star players is to draft them in the middle rounds.  I’ll remember that when everyone here is blaming the offense’s struggles on lack of weapons for Josh.  The Bills have such a great track record of finding WRs that there’s no need to draft a blue chipper.  Just shake the third round game breaking WR tree and grab as many as you can carry.

Pretty poor paraphrase there.

The best way to put together the best team is to use your draft picks sensibly and for value and to not fall in love with one guy and trade far too much to get him.

But in this particular draft, yeah, getting a third-round game-breaking WR could very very easily be possible. It's that kind of year. And as Beane has correctly said, we are NOT one player away.

And it's not just opinion that that's not the way to run the draft. The studies back him up.

https://www.vox.com/2014/5/7/5683448/how-nfl-teams-ignore-basic-economics-and-draft-players-irrationally

https://www.nber.org/papers/w11270

https://harvardsportsanalysis.wordpress.com/2012/04/25/dont-trade-up-in-the-nfl-draft/

There is no one that is worth two first and a second.  Maybe a generational QB, but even that is a stretch.  We can either sit at 22 or move up slightly to get someone around 16 or so if worth it.  We can improve so much with a couple of key FA, and maybe bundle 9 picks to say 5 or 6 if we get trade partners.  There are a number of teams in cap hell that would love cheap labor.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im all for trading to get Lamb IF...and ONLY IF...he slides in the draft into a reasonable cost range to go get him.  No way should we trade up into the top 10 or anything crazy like that.  But honestly, with the QB situations, there is a chance that one of Juedy or Lamb falls to 15th pick or even later.  At that point, I am on the phone if I am Beane.  To go up more than that would be to cost prohibitive in a draft rich with WR talent.  

But with Juedy and Lamb being ideal for us and in another tier over the other WR's, then I think its worth trading up for if they get within a reasonable trade range.  Nothing that involves next years first for example should remotely be considered.  

This is also why I would love to see us trade a low round pick for David Johnson where we could pick up their 3rd round pick as well for taking over that contract.  We easily can handle his contract for the next 2 seasons in our cap, and then we got an extra valuable pick to make a move like this if the opportunity is there.  And if no trade up, we still have an extra 3rd in a draft loaded with talent that will be available still in the 3rd.  

Total agree with you Alpha. I hope OBD feels like we do.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, ScorpionZero said:

I believe that we must do whatever it takes to get him for our offense. Because of his ability everyone becomes better. Brown opens up underneath, Knox has space to operate, beasly can work those outs as well as the out and ups. And Singletary won't have 8 in the box because lamb will command a corner and safety on every down. It will cost allot to do it but to have him here to grow with Josh would be the *****. Our 1st,2nd, and next year's 1st. Should get it done plus we can add Mims or Pittman in the third. This year's draft needs to be all about offense. Now you may crucifie me. 

you’re gonna bust 

20 hours ago, ScorpionZero said:

I believe that we must do whatever it takes to get him for our offense. Because of his ability everyone becomes better. Brown opens up underneath, Knox has space to operate, beasly can work those outs as well as the out and ups. And Singletary won't have 8 in the box because lamb will command a corner and safety on every down. It will cost allot to do it but to have him here to grow with Josh would be the *****. Our 1st,2nd, and next year's 1st. Should get it done plus we can add Mims or Pittman in the third. This year's draft needs to be all about offense. Now you may crucifie me. 

I don’t hate this idea.  Not at all.  In fact I think acquiring Lamb is worth a lot in terms of draft capital.  If you’re going to suggest something this big it’s a good idea to make a case for why this player stands above so many others.  You didn’t really do that in your OP.  But I’ve looked at Lamb a bit.  He really is the kind of prospect that’s worth making a big move for.  If he gets to 10ish he probably could be had for 22, 86 and our 2021 first.  We might even get a late round pick kicked back to us.  That’s not a bad deal.  We have enough day 3 picks to move back up to get another day 2 pick.  If the Bills think he’s an elite talent and that he stands well above who they could get at 22 or later, then I’d be happy to see them do it. 

8 hours ago, ALF said:

CeeDee Lamb*, WR, Oklahoma
Height: 6-2. Weight: 189.
Projected 40 Time: 4.55.
Projected Round (2020): 1.

He's no Calvin Johnson so no to that big of a trade up in a deep draft.

Wow.  A 4.55 40 would knock his value down a bit.

10 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

There is no one that is worth two first and a second.  Maybe a generational QB, but even that is a stretch.  We can either sit at 22 or move up slightly to get someone around 16 or so if worth it.  We can improve so much with a couple of key FA, and maybe bundle 9 picks to say 5 or 6 if we get trade partners.  There are a number of teams in cap hell that would love cheap labor.

...so MGK, would you consider moving down to perhaps to 27, looking for an extra 2nd, with a McBeane style value pick for WR with either of the two 2nds?......hard to think of him as a "WR in the 1st type".....but probably DEAD wrong....................

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Baltimore gave up 16th and 54th and Buffalo gave up 22nd and 65 (a 3rd rounder). He's correct.

The poster said "traded up".   Since 16 is higher than 22, that's the operative point (not what wast traded to get there)..    

If CeeDee Lamb is still there at 14, trading #22 and #54 would be a good move IMO.   Then package some of the remaining 7 picks an get back into round 2.

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Wasnt Edmunds with another 1st round pick that we already had?

They traded #22 and #65 (third round) to move up to #16 (and also got Baltimore's #154 in round 5)...

Edited by Lurker

On 2/21/2020 at 5:54 AM, Thurman#1 said:

The minute you say, "do whatever it takes," whatever you're arguing for takes a hit.

Be great to get a vintage Corvette. But if it took killing a guy and paying four times the normal price, it's not worth it.

If he's available at #22 and they like him, that would be great. If they want to skip up a spot or three and it doesn't cost too much, again great. But there are too many really good receivers in this draft to do something silly like give up a lot of value.

Hmm? He said the other trades were 2nd round or below. That includes the Edmunds trade.

Baltimore gave up 16th and 54th and Buffalo gave up 22nd and 65 (a 3rd rounder). He's correct.

And his point stands. The Allen trade is the one where they really gave up serious value. The Edmunds trade, done with the leftovers of the prep they did to bring in draft capital for the Allen trade, was second and below that there's another fairly significant drop. Beane seems willing to give up picks, but he's pretty stingy with picks from the first couple of days.

He’s incorrect. No one calls trading up from pick 22 to 16 in the first round as anything BUT trading up in the first round. Regardless of compensation. 

• Like (+1) 1