CeeDee Lamb or bust.

ScorpionZero

36 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Yeah I am gonna say I dont endorse that unless he seriously drops

Beane has just shown he is too good with these draft picks to give up what it would take to get him in a WR draft that probably runs 3 rounds deep with starters

If he miraculously slid to 14, 15 i would maybe pick the phone up

9 minutes ago, White Linen said:

How many more would it have been without him?

Cant quantify that . We dont know who the Falcons would have drafted with all the extra picks they would have had instead of taking Julio and how that would have changed the team 

I really like Lamb...but no. No way. We need to get a WR with reasonable value where we currently sit. Either that or a slight trade up in the second. This draft is too deep to make an aggressive move in round 1. Can you imagine how much pressure Lamb would have on him if we made a move like that?

19 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think if both Lamb and Ruggs make it to Denver at 15 we should seriously consider trading up to 16. It would probably take our 2nd. I love both of those prospects so much, part of me wouldn't even hate trading next year's 1st if that's what it takes to get above Denver. I know people would hate it because of how Sammy Watkins worked out but both Lamb and Ruggs are better prospects than he was IMO.

It's really 13 or 14; DEN is certainly taking a WR at 15 if 1 of the top 3 fall. What will be hard is trying to get the Colts at 13 or TB at 14 and have them willing to slide back to #22, when DEN @ 15,  Miami, the Raiders Jags & Eagles all in front of us, who will be WR hunting. How far do they want to slide back and how do you sweeten the pot enough?

Also, you guys need to stop comparing this to the Watkins pick, who was the top rated WR. The situations could not have been more different, I don't care to explain this again and this narrative is overplayed on this board - it is a false equivalent

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

It's really 13 or 14; DEN is certainly taking a WR at 15 if 1 of the top 3 fall. What will be hard is trying to get the Colts at 13 or TB at 14 and have them willing to slide back to #22, when DEN @ 15,  Miami, the Raiders Jags & Eagles all in front of us, who will be WR hunting. How far do they want to slide back and how do you sweeten the pot enough?

Just trade for Diggs . at least we know what we have and in terms of draft capital, will be cheaper than moving up to these dizzy levels...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Beane knows that there are a handful of wide receivers that can be had in the late first, second, or third round. This group of receiver are all similar in projected production. 

True but this team doesn't just need any wide receiver. We need a real #1, I honestly think that's the biggest thing holding our offense back from being championship caliber (if Allen continues to improve that is). This year is our Supet Bowl window and we've been hitting decently on mid-round picks. So if it takes next year's 1st to get that missing piece I'm all for it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Just trade for Diggs . at least we know what we have and in terms of draft capital, will be cheaper than moving up to these dizzy levels...

the gap between the top 3 and the rest is pretty big and #22 is a tough spot to be in, most likely yes WRs drafted in later rounds will develop nicely, but they will take more work and very likely more time (1-2 years), which shrinks the impact they can have this season and help us understand if Josh is the guy or not. Diggs makes a lot of sense, mainly due to his young age and he is proven...

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, DJB said:

Cant quantify that . We dont know who the Falcons would have drafted with all the extra picks they would have had instead of taking Julio and how that would have changed the team 

But you know they would have been enough to win one or more to quantify that not winning one with him needed to be said?

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

the gap between the top 3 and the rest is pretty big and #22 is a tough spot to be in, most likely yes WRs drafted in later rounds will develop nicely, but they will take more work and very likely more time (1-2 years), which shrinks the impact they can have this season and help us understand if Josh is the guy or not. Diggs makes a lot of sense, mainly due to his young age and he is proven...

There are no guarantees with Receivers in the draft  even with these Top 3... I recall hype about other receivers being drafted way high in previous drafts.. Corey Davis comes immedaitely to mind but Im sure we could find others without too much trouble..

If you are talking about moving up from 22 to around 10-13, the cost is too high..  Beane wont be giving up next years first or his 2nd this year to do that

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

There are no guarantees with Receivers in the draft  even with these Top 3... I recall hype about other receivers being drafted way high in previous drafts.. Corey Davis comes immedaitely to mind but Im sure we could find others without too much trouble..

If you are talking about moving up from 22 to around 10-13, the cost is too high..  Beane wont be giving up next years first or his 2nd this year to do that

you should see what he said about Edmunds- position of need and a player rated in the top part of RD = we tried to get to 14, 15 and finally got him. A drop from on of the top tier guys in a position of need, they will go up and get him; if it isn't a position a need they most likely won't. Beane actually said this....

Beane also talked about the bust rate of WR busts in RD1 last year - basically reaffirmed what he said above about Edmunds. Follow your board...

While I don't know if he will pull the trigger for next year's one, he will trade a second and/or third this year. How ballsy he gets will depend on how he feels after FA

I love Lamb - really do. Really want him. 
I put the pain value I’m willing to attribute to getting him at our 22 and our 54. That would mean he needs to fall to 16 or so...

I would do that. 

that being said.....

there are tons of good WR talent to be had all over this draft. 
love the kid from Minnesota. 
love the big tall kid from Texas. 

I wouldn’t spend too much draft capital to move up here. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

you should see what he said about Edmunds- position of need and a player rated in the top part of RD = we tried to get to 14, 15 and finally got him. A drop from on of the top tier guys in a position of need, they will go up and get him; if it isn't a position a need they most likely won't. Beane actually said this....

Beane also talked about the bust rate of WR busts in RD1 last year - basically reaffirmed what he said above about Edmunds. Follow your board...

While I don't know if he will pull the trigger for next year's one, he will trade a second and/or third this year. How ballsy he gets will depend on how he feels after FA

Their third (Pick 86)  would get you from 22 to 18-19..  a bit below your target area... He might go this if they are super keen on a guy still there and to get ahead of Eagles.. I would be surprised if he gave up more to move up for a WR but I'll wait and see...

Dont forget the pick he traded to move up for Edmunds was 65...

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

True but this team doesn't just need any wide receiver. We need a real #1, I honestly think that's the biggest thing holding our offense back from being championship caliber (if Allen continues to improve that is). This year is our Supet Bowl window and we've been hitting decently on mid-round picks. So if it takes next year's 1st to get that missing piece I'm all for it.

I get what you are saying and it’s not far fetched. Maybe Beane goes after Greene if Cincy can’t lock him up, or pulls a trade off for someone we aren’t even thinking about yet. I think Beane is hesitant on drafting wideouts high because he knows they take awhile to develop. I’m not saying it won’t happen, I am making assumptions based on what I have seen thus far from Beane. While Beane was in Carolina,  did the Panthers ever draft a wide receiver in the first besides Benjamin?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im all for trading to get Lamb IF...and ONLY IF...he slides in the draft into a reasonable cost range to go get him.  No way should we trade up into the top 10 or anything crazy like that.  But honestly, with the QB situations, there is a chance that one of Juedy or Lamb falls to 15th pick or even later.  At that point, I am on the phone if I am Beane.  To go up more than that would be to cost prohibitive in a draft rich with WR talent.  

But with Juedy and Lamb being ideal for us and in another tier over the other WR's, then I think its worth trading up for if they get within a reasonable trade range.  Nothing that involves next years first for example should remotely be considered.  

This is also why I would love to see us trade a low round pick for David Johnson where we could pick up their 3rd round pick as well for taking over that contract.  We easily can handle his contract for the next 2 seasons in our cap, and then we got an extra valuable pick to make a move like this if the opportunity is there.  And if no trade up, we still have an extra 3rd in a draft loaded with talent that will be available still in the 3rd.  

Regardless of whether it's Lamb or Jeudy, I think you see a few names slide even into the late 2nd round just due to the depth, one, and two, because no matter the actual talent level of the current crop of QBs they are always drafted higher than they should be and particularly in the 1st. Guys like Eason, Hurts, etc.

Speculation is widespread, but way too early mocks/analysis averages 5-6 QBs taken in the 1st - seems high but so too is the value put on QBs no matter the draft class. To keep this related, I think you see Jeudy slide more than Lamb does, but I think we'll be surprised to see what names last until the 2nd round as far as WR. The better trade up for value might be into the early 2nd using our late round picks to package and get the guy that slides, too.

But agreed overall that if we go higher than 15 I'm going to be exceptionally concerned for what we'd inevitably give up for a WR. Given the QB consideration, and barring what ATL does, my hopes would be Epenesa falling to us at 22 or entertaining a trade back even at that point. 

February draft talk ftw.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1