Cody Ford fine reduced

Seasons1992

It was a bad call Scott, but you have every right to you’re opinion.  It’s over so not worth worrying about it.  The regular joes out there that donated to an already wealthy young man is silly.  I make a good living, and would never donate to this charity?  If you want to donate you’re $, give it to a children’s cancer fund, shiners, you’re church, disabled kids, whatever.  They are the ones that need it.  

I was shocked fans donated, and even if he was fined, it goes to charity, so not sure, but he might even be able to write it off.  I don’t know nor am I willing to look into tax implications.  It sucks he was fined, and glad reduced, but it comes with the game.  This is not the first stupid penalty and fine, and won’t be the last.

16 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

No it was definitely a penalty.... and unnecessary block. 

If Allen paused one moment that defender could have caught up. An unnecessary block is on the other side of the field. The guy was in 8 yards of him which in football terms is like a second or 2.

The call was insane.

39 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yes, he was parallel to his own end line when he blocked the guy with his forearm. The rule says word for word this is what the penalty is and the blindside block is a point of emphasis for officials. 

Great. So Cody will continue to do the same thing going forward costing his team field position without knowing the rule.??

Both Beane and McDermott made the point that they seek clarity in part because they want to be able to coach guys to avoid penalties.

I'm sure that further clarification will be sought now that Cody's appeal has been heard and ruled on.

11 hours ago, vincec said:

It's clearly a penalty by the current rules.

Look at the example starting at :53 of the video. It's nearly identical to the foul called on Ford.

I think it's a bad rule because the QB, unlike other players, is likely to stop before he gets to the LOS so that he can throw the ball, so allowing the OL to protect his blindside is important for safety and the defender can see the blocker coming, but it's a foul none-the-less right now.

Thanks for posting the rules video.  Every single one of those plays looked like football to me.  It’s a terrible rule that was properly enforced with Ford.  So now they have to teach players that they can only punch or push with their hands in those situations.  Super.  

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Thanks for posting the rules video.  Every single one of those plays looked like football to me.  It’s a terrible rule that was properly enforced with Ford.  So now they have to teach players that they can only punch or push with their hands in those situations.  Super.  

It is legislated because of the high amount of injuries caused by such plays.

19 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

They should reduce the game checks for the officials.

Take Daboll's game check.

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Maybe it is a terrible rule, but as you said it was properly enforced and the fine was a little ridiculous, but it’s also surprising and alarming Ford didn’t know or think it was a penalty..... and neither do most of the people who’s posted in this thread. 

This shouldn't come as a surprise.

5 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Is this is one of those "letter of the law vs. the spirit of the law" things?

Ford didn't intend to make a blindside block, so he got a refund of the penalty! ?

Can one ask themselves, if the block was definitely an illegal block, why was the penalty reduced?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Maybe it is a terrible rule, but as you said it was properly enforced and the fine was a little ridiculous, but it’s also surprising and alarming Ford didn’t know or think it was a penalty..... and neither do most of the people who’s posted in this thread. 

I can’t remember who did this, but someone in sports media talked to a bunch of offensive linemen about that kind of block.  They all pretty much said that no way are they letting their QB get hit.  They’re laying the block on the defensive player.  So Ford isn’t alone here.  If the rule isn’t getting changed then the blockers either have to use their hands to make contact or find a way to change their footwork so it’s legal.

The footwork thing has to be tricky though. If the defender is running, then a blocker stopping is going to get plowed.  Ditto if they change direction and stay between the ball carrier and the defender.

OTOH defenders have to deal with a lot of rules that work against them.  Maybe we just let them have this one.  Splitting out a FB, TE or big WR in order to have them lay a blindside block on a defender can be devastating.  That’s what the league is trying to avoid.  The problem is that plays like Ford’s get caught up with all of that. 

16 hours ago, Utah John said:

The call that really cost us the game was the officials inventing a new rule about procedures during kickoffs.  On the KO for the second half, the Houston receiver fumbled the ball, and the Bills scored, and the ref correctly called it a touchdown.  That would have made it 20-0.  Instead they did what kids do in the back yard, making up rules as they go.

The Ford block was a terrible call.  It was not blind side at all.  Ford was at about 10 o'clock to the guy, in front and to the side.  There's nothing blind about that.  And Ford didn't go attack the guy, the guy basically ran into Ford.  

The other terrible call was on the Allen run in OT where Knox missed a block, and the Houston defender speared Allen in the helmet.  No call at all.  The correct call would have put the Bills in middle range FG range, possibly ending the game right there.

So the Bills get a BS penalty against them, and a BS non-call against them, and a BS rule change in the middle of a playoff game.

Plus the guy saw him before the hit!

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

It was? 

He did the exact thing the penalty says you can't do. Do you understand the rule? 

Wasn’t much forcible contact. They were facing each other and the guy didn’t even fall

3 hours ago, MJS said:

It is legislated because of the high amount of injuries caused by such plays.

Yeah.   That makes sense.  I was thinking about that sort of thing.  Once I got past thinking about how the Ford call boned the Bills I could l see why the rule is in place.  The upside of reduced injuries is worth the downside of taking away blocks like Ford’s.  It sucks when something like that works against us, but the reason for that rule is sound. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill963 said:

Plus the guy saw him before the hit!

Wasn’t much forcible contact. They were facing each other and the guy didn’t even fall

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill963 said:

This is the highlight of your week, huh?

Your posts suggest that he's asking a reasonable question...

8 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Yeah.   That makes sense.  I was thinking about that sort of thing.  Once I got past thinking about how the Ford call boned the Bills I could l see why the rule is in place.  The upside of reduced injuries is worth the downside of taking away blocks like Ford’s.  It sucks when something like that works against us, but the reason for that rule is sound. 

I agree, but I do think it's pretty ridiculous to get a fine for his block. Yeah, throw the flag. That's ok. But giving him a fine? That's pretty silly.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

I agree, but I do think it's pretty ridiculous to get a fine for his block. Yeah, throw the flag. That's ok. But giving him a fine? That's pretty silly.

The $28k fine was ridiculous.  The league did right by reducing it to $4k.  I think the initial fine was probably the boiler plate fine for that specific infraction.

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

One can also ask themselves why fans can’t understand a simple rule that’s been explained several times and justified that it was indeed a penalty? ?

I get you man.  Next time I see Cody I'll suggest he return the refund check he got.