Do we really need a power back?

2 hours ago, H2o said:

There are numerous RB's in this draft that we could snag anywhere from rounds 2-5 I believe. I still want AJ Dillon out of the bunch though and he will likely be able to be had on day 3 unless he runs an insane 40 time. He has pretty nimble feet for a big guy, can run people over, throw them off, bounce through pretty much any arm tackle, and has breakaway speed when he hits the open field. He would be a power back, but not just that per say. 

..McBeane and his gang snagged Singeltary in the 3rd......they certainly do their homework and probably strike again in 2020 as far as type & value.....

I think a downhill, one cut style runner would be a nicest kind of compliment to a runner like DS. The two contrasting styles could keep defenders on their toes a bit. That, coupled with a WR that can be dangerous on jet sweeps (like Deebo with SF or Percy Harvin when he was in Seattle) will give Buffalo one of the most dynamic running games in the league. That kind of stable to pound away and keep defenses on their heels could open up the offense immensely. Maybe Shenault can be that guy?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gray Beard said:

Singletary is a tweener, medium size.  Good at a lot of things, but not really great at any one thing.  The  defense can’t guess what the play will be with him, because he can do everything pretty well.

A goal line, short yardage, big back would be good.  They tried to use Gore in that role, but by halfway through the season it was becoming apparent that he wasn’t getting the job done.

A speed back that can outrun the defense isn’t really a priority (or a reality) these days.  “Getting Spiller in space” really didn’t work out that often.  A guy can outrun college defenses, but not so much in the pros.

A speed back isn’t a reality?

Tell that to the 49ers and their track-speed backfield with Coleman-Breida-Mostert

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Tell that to the 49ers and their track-speed backfield with Coleman-Breida-Mostert

I thought that might get a reaction.  

I think priorities are 1) an all purpose back, 2) a power back, 3) a speed back.  

They have a very good all purpose back.

I would be surprised, and a little disappointed, if the Bills took a chance on a speed back before securing a power back.  

Just my opinion.

Edited by Gray Beard

8 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

...a bit confused (as usual)...wasn't the premise to have Gore on the roster as a complementary RB to Singeltary ala "between the tackles" despite his aging skills?.....so if Frank is out, wouldn't you want to replace him with a similar complementary RB?.....seen plenty of mention regarding a Henry type (Titans would be fools to let him go; SD's Gordon balked at $10 mil/yr, looking for $13+; good luck lad)......don't get to see college ball, but our TBD Collegiate Experts have offered plenty of names for a "thunder 'n lightning" backfield...why not?........

3 hours ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

Singletary is a speed back ...  he is small and fast.  We need a power back ... a downhill runner  ... bruiser.

Well I guess we can’t call Thurman out of retirement lol. I see Brandon Beane going after Melvin Gordon or maybe we go after Gurley if Rams decide to part ways with him

4 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I can’t count how many times I’ve seen Singletary drag 4-5 defenders on his back for an extra 4 or 5 yards. I think Singletary is a tougher runner than we think. I have no reservations whatsoever about plugging him in on the goal line. I’m not against drafting a power back but I don’t view Singletary as strictly a scat back or finesse back, he’s pretty strong. I think Singletary can get you the tough yards.

My question about Singletary is how he would vanish for large portions of the game

When pressed McDermott said “it’s not good to run the same back every down”

Don’t other teams do this?

Or am I mistaken?

Is there something about Singletary that makes our coaches believe he can not play every down?

4 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I can’t count how many times I’ve seen Singletary drag 4-5 defenders on his back for an extra 4 or 5 yards. I think Singletary is a tougher runner than we think. I have no reservations whatsoever about plugging him in on the goal line. I’m not against drafting a power back but I don’t view Singletary as strictly a scat back or finesse back, he’s pretty strong. I think Singletary can get you the tough yards.

Devin is definitely a guy who runs with more power than he gets credit for.  He is elusive and can go through you too.

That being said, he's also 5'8" and while he's got a good build, would be nice to have a complimentary back that can also go in for the tough yards to take some wear off Devin.  I don't think we need to something crazy like sign Derrick Henry (which would never happen anyway) like some people would love to see.  We just need a compliment to Devin, and preferably one that can catch and also be of value in down and short situations too.  

This is why a guy like AJ Dillion in the draft makes sense as someone started a thread about.  There are other RB's in this draft too of course, but at the end of the day, Devin will see the lion share of the carries as a 3 down back.  So getting one of value in the draft to compliment him is ideal.  

Personally, if I was too project Devins stats next season I would put it at about 1250 yards rushing (Josh and a complimentary back will still some of his yards), 4.8+ ypc with 50+ receptions for another 400 to 500 yards and about 7 total TD's (again I think Allen poaches some of his TD's running it in himself).  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

No.  We need an explosive big play back imo

Yeah I want Henry too, but I don’t think the titans are letting him go

They'll give Tannehill a really good and fair deal like 3 years at 70 mil. They'll tag Henry and try to work something out with Conklin. No way all 3 get long term deals. Doesn't seem feasible but I could be wrong. Lewan has a massive contract already.