Do we really need a power back?

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Singletary is unique. He’s a one stepper without a top gear. Just untraditional talent that can ball. I think he can be supplemented with a speed back or a power back. It’s really going to come down to what the bills think they want/need from the position. 

I think the issue is that a power back doesn’t really bring a new dimension to the offense, whereas speed does. JMO of course...

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, thebandit27 said:

I think the issue is that a power back doesn’t really bring a new dimension to the offense, whereas speed does. JMO of course...

I agree. However, if their plan is to hammer other teams I can see a power back making sense. Particularly if they grab one that can catch like Zack Moss. I’m just not sure which direction the McB and Daboll want to go with the position. A guy like Perine can be lined up in the slot too. Maybe they grab Shenault or Bowden and use them in the backfield. ?‍♂️ 

18 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Devin ran a 4.66; that’s the opposite of a speed back.

He averaged a solid 2.4 YPC post-contact, which ranked 13th among RBs.

He also averaged a broken tackle every 7.6 rushing attempts; good for 5th in the league.

He’s a banger with some elusiveness and great instincts; we need a home run threat to complement him.

33 minutes ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

Singletary is a speed back ...  he is small and fast.  We need a power back ... a downhill runner  ... bruiser.

That is DE level speed,  the guy is more quicky then fast and there is a difference.  He game is making players miss,  will not outrun many players on the field. We need a pure speed/ homerun type of back

6 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

That is DE level speed,  the guy is more quicky then fast and there is a difference.  He game is making players miss,  will not outrun many players on the field. We need a pure speed/ homerun type of back

agree, but.........................

Image result for why can't we have both gif

1 hour ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I don’t think we need a pure power back. However, a bigger back that runs decisively and can catch would be ideal. 

13 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

agree, but.........................

Image result for why can't we have both gif

A Karlos Williams type? Solid speed and quickness coupled w good power and a nose for the end zone. Hopefully will last more than one magical season though!

• Like (+1) 2

yes, we need another back. however, more importantly, we need better blocking. i don't think we gained all that much yardage between the tackles last year. i think it is scheme and technique more than anything else at this point.

Edited by Foxx

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBill963 said:

A Karlos Williams type? Solid speed and quickness coupled w good power and a nose for the end zone. Hopefully will last more than one magical season though!

I'm more of the type that believes on having 3 active RBs on game day each with different skill set.

It's all the better if RB2 and RB3 can play some special teams.

• Like (+1) 1

Singletary is a tweener, medium size.  Good at a lot of things, but not really great at any one thing.  The  defense can’t guess what the play will be with him, because he can do everything pretty well.

A goal line, short yardage, big back would be good.  They tried to use Gore in that role, but by halfway through the season it was becoming apparent that he wasn’t getting the job done.

A speed back that can outrun the defense isn’t really a priority (or a reality) these days.  “Getting Spiller in space” really didn’t work out that often.  A guy can outrun college defenses, but not so much in the pros.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Singletary is unique. He’s a one stepper without a top gear. Just untraditional talent that can ball. I think he can be supplemented with a speed back or a power back. It’s really going to come down to what the bills think they want/need from the position. 

He’s super quick with great instincts and surprisingly sturdy on contact. His style is super fun to watch and I’ll trust the FO to find a perfect compliment to spell him. Being able to catch out of the backfield is going to be a critical component. Give Josh some easy completions and yards. (Yes, Josh, love ya guy but you need to look that way a bit more.) 

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

That's a good point.  I think we need a guy that can pickup a goalline yard with ease (think Henry).  But Allen can do that, so I'd be fine with another RB who complements Singletary.  Whether that's a speedier guy, or another shifty-singletary guy, or a brusier, I'd be fine.  

Exactly the way I feel. Go out and find a nice 3rd or 4th round complimentary RB to fill in for Devin. Maybe you accidentally run into someone better than Singletary? Maybe Moss, Perrine or Dillon.....

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd love to add a speed back with good hands and a powerback.

We carry 3 RB's, there's no rule that says the 3rd back should only play special teams and not provide value at his actual position. 

See San Francisco. They have Brieda, Coleman, and Mostert. We could maybe sign a Kenyan Drake in FA and draft AJ Dillon. Our RB's would be set for 3 or 4 years at least. 

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, BuffaloBill963 said:

Minus the weed and poor dietary choices.

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

He’s super quick with great instincts and surprisingly sturdy on contact. His style is super fun to watch and I’ll trust the FO to find a perfect compliment to spell him. Being able to catch out of the backfield is going to be a critical component. Give Josh some easy completions and yards. (Yes, Josh, love ya guy but you need to look that way a bit more.) 

I love Singletary. He’s just not a standard prototype. As such any guy who fits a prototype is a change of pace. Lol

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, H2o said:

See San Francisco. They have Brieda, Coleman, and Mostert. We could maybe sign a Kenyan Drake in FA and draft AJ Dillon. Our RB's would be set for 3 or 4 years at least. 

Even New England with Michel, White and Burkhead use three backs effectively.